PDA

View Full Version : USET Talent Search West?

Darden19
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hi I'm wondering if anybody can clue me in to what's going on in LA. I'm very curious, and can't find a place to follow the horse show. If you have any info, please post!

Thanks a million!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
http://leghorseshows.com/pdf/shows/12853048152010%20USEF%20Talent%20Search%20-%20West%20Flat.pdf

That's all I can find.
I found it here.
http://leghorseshows.com/laec/show_details.php?show_id=155

Hahah.

That's all I can find because that's all that's happened so far.
The gymnastics phase will be at 5:30 tonight (pacific time) and the jumping phase and workoff will be tomorrow starting at 2:30.

This is the photog listed in the prize list.
http://www.accustomphoto.com/Pages/contact.html

And the video folks listed in the prize list.
http://www.telesisvideo.com/Site/Home.html

Darden19
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you! That's perfect.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
Sure thing!

I wish the photographer's website worked.

BLBGP
Sep. 24, 2010, 08:45 PM
Anyone going to the gymnastics phase tonight?

khobstetter
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Photogrpher is Flying Horse Photography out of Colorado. Google him and you can find his web site.

Rudy at AACustom is having some health problems and could not make it.

khobstetter
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
I forgot my list and left it in the golf cart but I can tell you it was interesting there tonight. Trot poles rasied about 6" by blocks started them off and then a couple of lines and then a hand gallop to a triple bar headed to the gate then stop/back/exit walking.

A LOT of horses had trouble at the trot poles and several did not go over them at all, several cantered, a couple walked some of them and a couple cantered them. The stop at the end was not done really well (IMHO!!!!) by any of them but a couple were "OK".

I cannot remember all of them, and I'm sure I'll leave someone who was terrific out of this post BUT...
Grace Lukack had the ride of the night in my own opinion. She was the oly one who went straight to the trot poles without a circle and did them REALLY well. Her horse was exquisite and the ride done exceptionally well.......remember these are ONLY my thoughts!
Katherine Civian was really good but had a little booble somewhere that probably will NOT hurt her. KilliamMcGrath was also really good, Jennifer Parker also had one of the best rides of the night, as did Jocelyn Neff. Morgan Geller was pretty darn good even though she had a little trouble at the poles.

Lauren Myers came back on top and did not have the most exiciting time, trouble started at the trot poles but she was not awful for sure.

I wish I had my notes...since I am not an active trainer with kids in there, I don't know a lot of them any more......sorry if I forgot someone who was terrific!!! I'll try to be sure and bring my notes home with me tomorrow night. SORRY!! :-(

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:13 AM
Any memory/info of Taylor Adams or Katie Cox?

khobstetter
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:18 AM
I was taking Tylenol when Katie went but she was pretty low in the standings...I don't remember that well. I think Taylor was pretty darn good, I had her circled so she must have been decent for sure. I'll see if I can find out..

Peggy
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
Taylor was good. Don't remember Katie.

My first thought when I walked in there tonite was that they hadn't finished setting the course. Compared to years past, there weren't a lot of jumps out there. Link to course (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31554030&l=8e7dd6b0a9&id=1052681066) taken with cell phone.

The trot poles were definitely interesting. A couple of horses either slammed on the brakes or started going sideways when they saw them. One person stopped out on the trot poles. A few got fairly discombobulated thru them but recovered, but at least one person had a stop on one of the oxers in the trot pole line caused by difficulty with the trot poles.

IIRC Sidney Callaway was also good, along with several others in addition to khobstetter's list, but I didn't take very good notes. There were a few people who made huge entry circles and it will be interesting to see what the judges do with that. One of them had issues with the trot poles, so it will be hard to tell, but another was otherwise OK.

The flat phase last night was about as basic as it could be. Groups of nine came in and did the gaits/lengthenings/counter canter required by the rules. And that was it. Some true lengthenings, but not a lot. A few eruptions, including a bolt down one long side of the arena (that was one of the 40's). And, as usual, several horses who looked a bit surprised to be working on the flat in a group all braided up but behaved themselves. Based on my limited notes and memory, I agreed with the judging, tho there was one horse that I noted that broke whose score indicated that maybe the judges missed it.

Here's the link to where the numerical results will be posted:
http://www.leghorseshows.com/laec/show_details.php?show_id=155

If there's an order posted on horseshowtime for tomorrow's phase, that should be in reverse order of combined scores.

Peggy
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:10 AM
Results are up for tonight:
http://www.leghorseshows.com/pdf/shows/12853895252010%20talent%20search%20gym.pdf

khobstetter
Sep. 25, 2010, 01:31 AM
Smile.......Taylor Adams is sitting 6th at this point in the standings..Katie is WAY down at about 30th or so.

Roo
Sep. 25, 2010, 09:03 AM
Peggy and Khobstetter, thank you so much for the detailed recaps. Please do the same this afternoon! I always look forward to watching the USET finals but but have 20 other things going on this weekend. The Coth boards are definitely the next best thing to being there!

Darden19
Sep. 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
Lauren Myers is a hometown girl! How exciting for her. That's incredible. Can't wait to hear how tonight goes!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
Any results?

mroades
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
Taylor Ann won is what I heard

Peggy
Sep. 26, 2010, 01:04 AM
1. Taylor Ann Adams - El Toro (also won best horse) - Karen Healey trainer for the weekend (Don Stewart regular trainer?)
2. Jocelyn Neff - Allegro - Karen Heaely trainer
3. Jennifer Parker - Milagro - Benson Carroll trainer
4. Carolyn Ingalls - Y2K - Hap Hansen trainer
5. Morgan Geller - Mata Hari - Peter Lombardo trainer
6. Sydney Callaway - Cassius - Lori DeRosa trainer
7. Marisa Hutton - Pantouf - Chris Iwasaki
8. Ali Cornish - Las Palmas - Vanessa Brown
9. Alexa Anthony - Abrakadabra - Cara Anthony trainer
10. Jan Humphrey - Grafin - Rudy Leone trainer

They rode in reverse order of placing after the first two phases. Of the early ones that had had misfortunes in the early rounds, both Samantha Harrison and Lucy Davis had very nice rounds where they made it look like they were loping around the Children's Hunters.

Some random comments about the rest. Ali rode well and effectively. Morgan had a cheap rail and a long distance. Sydney (whose horse I still love after watching three weekends in a row of medal finals) had a rail and water. Sybil had assorted problems. Lauren and Kara both stopped out (at, IIRC, a fence over a ditch, perhaps water thing, which caused a lot of problems). Taylor had a rail and water and I have a note of "twist" but have no recollection of what I meant (good thing I'm not a judge, huh?). Kilian's horse splashed into the water. Grace had a stop. Both Jocelyn and Taylor Ann had rails, but not bad rails. Jennifer was reachy at a few fences (but boy does she have a great upper body over the fences).

The switches went pretty smoothly. Taylor Ann did a really nice job with all four horses, something I'd guess you'd expect for someone who does a lot of catch riding. Jocelyn did a better job, at least IMHO, of riding it as a jumper course (nice turns, getting within the time) but wasn't quite as smooth and did two unintended tempi changes. The Y2K horse had a hard drift--Jocelyn figured it out after one fence, but Taylor Ann (the last to ride him) got it done over the first fence.

A fun, educational, and hot afternoon. I think it was about 107°F when it started.

PonyPenny
Sep. 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
I really wanted Jocelyn to win as she is a west coast girl. Taylor Ann did have the the smoothest rounds on all four horses, though she did have time faults on one of the horses. I felt bad for the top four horses. They looked pretty spent after doing all those rounds, especially Allegro.

Peggy
Sep. 26, 2010, 01:54 AM
I really wanted Jocelyn to win as she is a west coast girl. Taylor Ann did have the the smoothest rounds on all four horses, though she did have time faults on one of the horses. I felt bad for the top four horses. They looked pretty spent after doing all those rounds, especially Allegro.
Agreed. Hari (the 5th place horse) looked like she was ready to fall asleep in the cross ties when we went back to visit her afterwards and she only had to do the initial round today.

khobstetter
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks Peggy for the update for the class, I had to stay for the Grand Prix and just sent our results on an iContact blast. (Anyone who wants to get those results blasts, pm me your emails!!)

El Toro was the Best Horse...and a little brag here! I found him in Germany as an unbroke 4 year old. Bought him and brought him to the states and he went through 2 of my juniors as their first jumper/eq horse. His name was Charmont and he will now go to live at Don Stewarts (Don just bought him) to be in his barn of Medal horses.

He really is a special little horse and a blast to ride. CONGRATS TO EL TORO (Charmont)....BUT WE WILL REALLY REALLY MISS HIM :-(

Peggy
Sep. 27, 2010, 01:24 AM
khobstetter - that was one cool horse. We figured he'd win the best horse for sure if you got to pick the one that looked like the most fun to ride