PDA

View Full Version : Orthopedists' Favorite Comment

TarheelJD
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:47 PM
After I was bucked off and broke my collar bone back in July, I searched through all the old COTH threads on broken collar bones in an effort to learn as much as I could from others' experiences.

I was really worried, in the immediate aftermath of the fall, that I would not be able to go back to riding, but almost everyone said "give yourself time to heal, and then you can decide." They were all right -- with the passage of time (and elimination of the need for pain killers) I am now dying to get back on my horse. I realize that there is risk in everything we do, and I simply love riding too much to give it up because I "might" get hurt badly again. I could get hurt badly driving home from work, and I would never consider giving up driving.

Anyway, I went to my orthopedist today, and my x-rays and exam went well. I asked him if I could start riding again and he said "sure, just don't fall off." Apparently, this is a common orthopedist line, because lots of the COTH posts from people who had broken bones indicated that their orthopedist said the same thing.

I told him that the general idea was to stay on, even for people without broken collar bones. I mean really, that is just not a helpful comment for these doctors to make!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the supportive posts in reply to messages from people, including me, who are recovering from injuries. Your support in the face of my whining was really helpful. I am sure it will take me a while to build my confidence back up, but I can't wait to be back in the saddle!

Foxtrot
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
"Now, Ms. Jones, I know you enjoy coming off your horse in the most unexpected and uncomfortable way, but please do try to keep these unscheduled dismounts to a minimum."

RugBug
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
My ortho's wife rides so he knew there was no use trying to stop me from riding. He even told my mom "riding is a disease."

snaffle635
Sep. 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
"Now, Ms. Jones, I know you enjoy coming off your horse in the most unexpected and uncomfortable way, but please do try to keep these unscheduled dismounts to a minimum."

LOL!

I can sort of understand what the doc means, though. In the past, I might have given up a bit more easily and thought 'oh well, guess I'm falling off'. Now I fight like heck to stay on. Plus, I'm much more careful and take fewer risks.

Tarheel, I hope you feel better and start riding soon.

TarheelJD
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks, snaffle. My boy is in transit to a show right now, where his trainer will ride him tomorrow. But I plan on riding him on Sunday - if only to walk and trot briefly. :D

FineAlready
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to say "YAY!!!"

I'm so glad you are going to be back in the saddle soon. It made me really sad that you were considering giving up the sport!