PDA

View Full Version : Canadians? Did you get your facial?

cinder88
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm asking because on RD's world there was a cheery post about how nice it was that Dressage Canada gave all the WEG riders...which is great...and all the chefs, vets and TECHNICAL ADVISERS spa packages at their hotels in Kentucky.

SPA PACKAGES.

Don't bother to look for that part of the post, but Google Cache is a wonderful thing....

Guess who paid for all of this?

You and I.

Now, please tell me...When was the last time Dressage Canada did anything for you, the AA? (And, I stress the AA part...) The last time there was a clinic held for you to watch or ride in nearby? A symposium? A learning opportunity? So, where ARE those levy dollars going?

I wish our team the best, but I sure think it is time that we started stanidng up on our hind legs and asking some tough questions of DC.

Cinder

alibi_18
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
Just curious...How much are these packages worth? Which company? Are these sponsored or some sort? (I'm Canadian so I'm entitled to know!!!) :D

Bronte
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:24 PM
Another Canadian here. I don't know who paid, but quite often with large block bookings hotels will throw those packages in.

cinder88
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:09 PM
Bronte, that could certainly be true. If it were, and it was just a "bonus" then why did the information suddenly disappear off of the other site?

It may seem that I don't trust what DC does with its Members money.

I don't.

I also think that DC members should be asking for an accountng of how much it cost us to send our Dressage team to WEG, as opposed to how much it cost to send, perhaps, our jumping team, endurance team, whatever team?

I'd like to see those numbers when they all roll in.

I'm not holding my breath.

Cinder

Donella
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh boy. Who knows what is going on at DC?? It seems like quite the scenario. They are always talking about these programs that they have and how money will go to support up and coming talent. They talk about (and we read about it in Horse Sport magazine ect) the "talent search" that went on earlier this year where RD did some clinics. They make it sound like those who were talented enough would be identified and supported. However, the reality is that each rider paid close to 1500$ for the two day clinic and all of the riders were given the same advice "get out of Canada and go train with an Olympian". At your own cost.

All of the riders that did so paid out of their own pockets as I know there were multiple fundraisers going on here for one member who made the WEG team as well as others who went to florida and Cali to train. DC didn't pay for a cent.

Don't get me wrong, I think RD is doing a super job as coach, no doubt about it. I am so excited for the riders and for our country. But I don't think DC has any interest in developing programs or supporting our future talent.

gladys
Oct. 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
It was just announced that Robert Dover will no longer be the Technical advisor for the Canadian Team, so who knows what the strategy will be for the Pan Ams and 2012.

I thought he did an incredible job and I'm sorry to see him go.

http://www.barnmice.com/group/horsejournals/forum/topics/robert-dover-not-returning-as

CatOnLap
Oct. 31, 2010, 11:38 PM
he's gone? thats a good thing. I am tired of reading about his italian sofa shopping trips and how his "little canadian riders" try so hard but obviously aren't up to his exalted standards. And its a shame because I know some of the riders did enjoy his teaching, but then he talks like that about them on his blog.

I only fear what might replace him.

Jealoushe
Nov. 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
Definitly did not receive my facial. :(

caddym
Nov. 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
he's gone? thats a good thing. I am tired of reading about his italian sofa shopping trips and how his "little canadian riders" try so hard but obviously aren't up to his exalted standards. And its a shame because I know some of the riders did enjoy his teaching, but then he talks like that about them on his blog.

I got a totally different feeling from reading his blog? I felt his pride and admiration for the Canadians riding and efforts.

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
I wrote this on the Off Course thread but thought I would also add it here...

My Dear Canadian Friends,

Below is the official statement prepared and agreed upon between Equine Canada and myself. regarding the future I would only like to add that it has been an enormous pleasure and honour working with and for you all!

That RD felt the need to put this comment in front of the "official" statement is interesting, don't you think?

I agree with CatonLap that our riders were well on their way with their current coaches long before and will do well long after.

As to how much the raise was that was requested? Have a quick look at what is mentioned here...
There are currently efforts underway to maintain Dover on a consultant basis, which is welcomed by riders given the forthcoming 2011 Pan American Games and 2012 Olympics.

Hmmm.....a good showing at WEG, which a lot of people will (mistakenly IMO), completely attribute to RD, a contract coming due for renegotiation, two World-class shows coming up in the next two years?

Do you really think he just asked for a cost of living raise when so much is at stake in the near future?

And now we are looking at paying him as a Consultant?

If Mr. Dover didn't care to take the position at what EC felt it could offer, (and IMO they've known that he was unlikely to take their offer for quite some time...), then I for one suggest that EC gets off its collective ass and find the best full-time coach it can for the money we have available.

None of this Consultant stuff.

Our Team deserves a coach that is focused and engaged with them, not taking them on as a side project.

Just my opnion, as always.

NJR

Donella
Nov. 2, 2010, 02:29 PM
he's gone? thats a good thing. I am tired of reading about his italian sofa shopping trips and how his "little canadian riders" try so hard but obviously aren't up to his exalted standards. And its a shame because I know some of the riders did enjoy his teaching, but then he talks like that about them on his blog

Who cares whether he is interesting or not. Or wether he rubs you the wrong way or not. His job was to promote dressage in Canada, to develope a vision ect as well at to develope our best riders for international competitions. He did that very , very well.

Dressage Canada seems to care nothing for our sport. They FINALLY decided to hire someone but only because they had to in order to get their hands on that Own The Podium money. Of course, now that they have it, it's just back to square one where we all pay them fee's and they do shit all for us and for our sport.

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 2, 2010, 03:37 PM
Dressage Canada seems to care nothing for our sport. They FINALLY decided to hire someone but only because they had to in order to get their hands on that Own The Podium money. Of course, now that they have it, it's just back to square one where we all pay them fee's and they do shit all for us and for our sport.

I think it may be EC you mean, but if DC also fits the bill...

I'm also getting a bit tired of asking..."What have you done for me lately?"

I swear I get more e-mails asking for money from our Fearless Leader than I do from our gov't politicians.

I'd still love an accounting to be made available to the members of how much it cost each team to go to WEG.

The accounting dept. doesn't even have to break it down for us.

Just give us general numbers for each team, ie: Dressage, Jumpers, Eventer. Basic expenses like Transportation = $ Hotels = $ etc. Let's actually see some of that "transparency" we always hear about...

WHile I'm at it, does anyone else shudder when they hear the word "Consultant"? In my experience, a Consultant is someone who gets paid twice as much as a regular employee.

We don't need a consultant. We need a Coach.

NJR

Emy
Nov. 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
We don't need a consultant. We need a Coach.

Ditto

Double Ditto

CatOnLap
Nov. 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
If indeed, as Canadian dressage riders, we represent 3 different schools that are so different and so at odds that they shall never talk to each other, then not even the exalted RD could've brought it together. But that is a silly thing to imagine. RD came upon the scene with a team of really great, motivated and well supported riders. He was fortunate. And yes, the blogspots he wrote sometimes, which he has since edited, I might point out, were dismissive of the riders' talents and the quality of their horses. He was simply not committed in heart to being a Canadian team coach.

Indeed, most of the riders on the current Team have made a real effort to get along and help each other, and yes, they did 99% of it without the RD. Doubtless they would've done as well with any other competent coach.

Now, where I come from, consultants are very highly paid. Are we going to be paying this *unmentionable/unprintable* person MORE for doing LESS?

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 3, 2010, 03:00 PM
If EC is planning to go the Consultant route, why is it that it has to be RD?

If indeed, EC is planning on going the Consultant route, then in the name of getting the BEST possible person for the job, EC should Tender that Consultant position out to anyone who might fill the bill, just as any company would do.

I'd be willing to bet that there are many Big Names in the Dressage world who, though unable to commit to be a full-time Coach for the Canadian Team, would be thrilled to act as a Consultant and could bring incredible amounts of International experience, insight and contacts to the Canadian Team.

EC needs to put on its Big Girl and Boy Panties, say "Thanks for the Memories", to RD and Tender the Contract of Consultant like a REAL Board of Directors would for any other large national entity.

Maybe RD will be the correct choice in the end, but for Pete's sake don't just hand it to him without investigating the alternatives.

Oh, you say....We're running out of time, we have to do something quickly!!!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!??

You honestly didn't see this coming a year ago?

NJR

Donella
Nov. 3, 2010, 11:40 PM
Like I said, DC hired an advisor/coach because that is what was required in order to recieve the Own the Podium cash (I believe it was 350,000.00). Now that they have it they have no desire to hire anyone. Canadian Eventing and Show Jumping have had functional and competant advisors/coaches for years and years now. They actually seem to function well and as a result do well on the world stage.

Unfortunately Canadian dressage riders don't get anything from Dressage Canada. We pay them a levy fee at every single show that is EC sanctioned and yet there is nothing to show for it. What is their purpose? Does anyone even know? Does anyone here have any idea where that money even goes??

I think life would be better without them, and while it did appear for a while that the sport was going in the right direction, yet again it becomes blatantly obvious that if our riders what to get anywhere in international sport they are going to have to go at it alone.

So to me this isn't really even about RD. It's just another reminder of the complete uselessness of DC.

Liz Steacie
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:14 AM
Like I said, DC hired an advisor/coach because that is what was required in order to recieve the Own the Podium cash (I believe it was 350,000.00). Now that they have it they have no desire to hire anyone. Canadian Eventing and Show Jumping have had functional and competant advisors/coaches for years and years now. They actually seem to function well and as a result do well on the world stage.

I think perhaps you are being a little inaccurate here. DC tried very hard to come to an agreement with RD to continue his role with Canada's dressage team. But he did ask for a LOT more money, and Own The Podium has very distinct rules about how the money they give can be used, and there is a salary cap for coach/adviser. DC cannot simply keep the $ for it's own purposes! But if there isn't enough in the pot to pay the coach/adviser his requested salary, there is not much DC can do about it except look for another qualified individual to fill the role within the budget. Please keep in mind that these are OTP's rules, not DC's. Every cent that DC gets from OTP has to be spent and accounted for as indicated in the funding request and within certain categories as described in the OTP funding documents.

I won't comment on what DC has done for you lately, because I also have some issues about how the levy $ is being spent and where the domestic programs are and what DC is doing to support and grow the sport at the local levels.

But I do know (because I used to be part of the process!) that the OTP money is very strictly controlled by OTP (not DC!!!).

Robert Dover made a very large contribution to Canadian dressage, without a doubt, but Dressage Canada IS financially strapped (mainly due to the fact that it relies almost entirely on government funding), and surrounded by regulatory process (as it should be if the $ comes from tax payers, which is DOES!). If they couldn't come up with the money that RD felt he needed to continue in his role, then the inevitable would have to happen. Many people feel that Robert's contribution was extremely valuable, and there were huge efforts to try to find the $ to keep him on. I believe that we will lose more than you can imagine by our inability to retain his services. And I know that many on the Board and within the committees (to say nothing of the riders) feel the same way. Even the people at OTP are disappointed, since I believe that they also feel that a coach/adviser of Robert's caliber is essential if we are to become a strong force on the international stage.

To solve the problem, DC needs new blood on the Board and in Committees, and needs people who can bring funding sources (private!!!) to the table. If you really want to try to change things, you must get involved, you must be prepared to slog through many documents that explain the funding process, and you MUST be prepared to stand up for your convictions - otherwise the same old-same old will always happen.

I volunteered with DC in a variety of roles over the last 10 years, and finally resigned earlier this year, due mainly to family and work commitments, but also a little bit to the hidebound (lack of) policies and procedures, and the shortsightedness of the Board. One of the biggest problems (in my experience) is that the Board does not always bring a business viewpoint to the table, relying instead on emotional reaction and the old "we've always done it this way" attitude. There is also, sometimes, a lack of transparency at the Board level, and that can only be addressed by people who are willing and able to take a stand, fight for what they believe is right and get information into the public domain, so that the greater dressage community will understand the issues.

Zero budget forecasting, financial management, communications, long term planning, personnel management (including things like job descriptions, contractual agreements which include performance metrics) and the relationship DC has with EC are issues that the Board seems reluctant to address, and are failures that impede, in my opinion, the Board's ability to actually get things done, move forward with confidence and foster the growth of the sport.

So if you believe in some of those things, maybe you should get out and volunteer! The biggest problem DC has is that only a handful of people are actually prepared to do the work that needs to be done! Trying to fill committees is a nightmare - lots of people take the attitude that "someone else will do it", when in fact, no-one else IS doing it ...

If you have an interest in the role of the coach/adviser, then call up the Chair of High Performance and volunteer to be a member of the committee! If you want things to happen in Domestic Development, call up the Chair of Domestic Development and volunteer. Then you can have your say and present your ideas and monitor the goings-on at DC!!!!

Maybe if more people asked what THEY can do for DC instead of what DC has done for them, DC would be a more functional, progressive and enlightened sport governing body.

Not sure that posting this is the right thing to do. But if even one person volunteers, it will help :-)

Liz

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
Ms. Steazie...it is always so nice to see such a recognizable name in Canadian dressage come on to CotH and speak in such a down to earth manner about the problems in our sport from someone who has actually BTDT at the higher levels of both competiton and administration. This shows real Class, in my books!

It also shows that you care so deeply about Dressage in Canada that you are willing to say some perhaps uncomfortable things in public about the direction that we are going.

You must have much more fortitude than I! Even my years of volunteering at just regional/provincial level showed me that I don't have the stomach for the politics and answers of "But that's just the way it's DONE...".

The stone-walling, the outdated thinking and the cliques... I don't know the answer and although I tried, I was not able to be part of the solution, so like many I've spoken to, I stepped back and become less and less involved. In return, it seems that I've recieved less and less for my $'s. I'm now at the point where I don;t show at all and am actually thinking of taking up reining! :lol:

They do say that a people get the gov't they deserve, so perhaps that is what the dressage community in Canada has?

Generally concerning the coaching and Team issues....

The fact that Mr. Dover and EC weren't able to come to an agreement, and I'm sure that they both knew what EC's bottom line was quite some time ago, tells me that RD believes he is worth more than we could pay him. Fair enough.

But then to talk about taking him on as a Consultant and, (very likely), paying him the same amount for less time spent with our team, is no incentive for him to come to an agreement is it?

He is well aware that the Canadian Team is in a tough spot going into a very important next two years. He's a businessman. It's time EC began to act as if it were a business as well, and not be held hostage because of a deadline they knew was coming.

In any other large business they would have already begun to look at other options as soon as they had any hint that this re-negotiation wasn't going to go well.

Mr. Dover is a charming, well-known, extremely good coach for our team.

Sadly, we can't afford him. Get over it.

EC needs to find a full-time coach we can afford. NOW.

Or Tender the postion of Consultant. NOW.

On another note, perhaps someone might comment on this for me:
Even the people at OTP are disappointed, since I believe that they also feel that a coach/adviser of Robert's caliber is essential if we are to become a strong force on the international stage.

Given that the average dressage rider in Canada likely doesn't make it past the lower levels, yet pays 95% of the freight, why do we pay so much for us to HAVE a strong force on an Int'l stage and seemingly so LITTLE given back to those riders who are paying for it?

I can tell you without a doubt that the last clinic we had in my area that we had financial help with from our Associations (ANY of them!) was over 5 years ago.

Is it that important to the 95% that we pay for the 5% to show internationally? Perhaps it's time to change our focus?

Thanks again, NJR

Mozart
Nov. 4, 2010, 03:43 PM
Spa packages: I hope the grooms got them. Riders...okay. Chefs, consultants and vets. Nope. Sorry.

Robert Dover: I don't swim in those circles but I have to say I don't understand the negativity about him. Maybe he rubs people the wrong way on a personal level, I have never met him and I don't read his blog. But he sure seems to have delivered hasn't he? Ashley Holzer probably would have done as well without him. I'm not sure you can say the same as the others.

It is not just the WEG performance but the whole season before, Canadian riders got int'l scores of the likes we have not seen for a long time (except for Ashley).

They now have cred. Maybe he got them to the right places and gave them cred? I don't know. If you believe what the riders have publicly stated they benefited from the coaching, not just the PR.

So, anti RD's...enlighten me. Why the RD negativity? If it just his personal style that bugs you? Do you know something the riders don't (or won't say)?

Liz Steacie
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:15 PM
On another note, perhaps someone might comment on this for me:

(OTP seeming disapointed that we were not able to retain Robert)

Given that the average dressage rider in Canada likely doesn't make it past the lower levels, yet pays 95% of the freight, why do we pay so much for us to HAVE a strong force on an Int'l stage and seemingly so LITTLE given back to those riders who are paying for it?

Thanks again, NJR

Remember that OTP stands for "Own The Podium". Their mandate and concern is ONLY with international standing, rankings, and, ultimately, medals. They have no concern whatsoever for the recreational rider, the grass roots or local and national showings. Except in the belief that strength at the top will inspire and motivate.

I am not sure how you calculate that the a lower level rider "pays 95% of the freight" in dressage. Entry fees are higher at the upper levels (ie: $45 for Training Level, $200 for the Grand Prix), upper level riders also have to pay stabling, transportation, the levy, the FEI drug test fee at $40 instead of $7, all the same memberships (although the Platinum membership is WAY more expensive than a Silver or Bronze) plus FEI registration fees annually, passports for FEI horses are over $300, as opposed to $78, CDI competitions generally run 3-5 days, with all the additional expense, team hopefuls are often encouraged to attend high profile (read: expensive) clinics with either the Team coach or another BNT (ie: the last clinic I was invited to would have cost me over $300/lesson). The previous Team coach, even with slightly subsidized clinic fees cost over $200 a lesson. So, if you would, explain to me where a lower level rider is "paying" for the international strength?

If you mean that our funding from Sport Canada seems to be devoted in the most part to High Performance, then I urge you again to read the funding documents. Funds are paid out to sports governing bodies BASED on results at international competitions and major games. If we don't have strong international results, we get NO funding, and believe me, the funds generated by memberships (much of which pays for the administrative costs at EC - again, if you read the budget materials made available to all EC members, you would see exactly how much of the money is eaten up in the EC office - did you think our delegation got to Taipei on their own ticket???) won't pay for much.

So I really do fail to see where your argument has validity. You are not paying the freight - in some ways you are getting quite a bit for your membership fees and the levy (you could be getting more if there were better fiscal policies and more productive planning in place). But the cost to campaign at the international level is astonishing, and mostly riders and their owners pay for 90% of the costs if not more. The "Team" or High Performance pays for things like shipping to major games (sometimes), and sometimes costs associated with major games, but really, not much else. Riders and owners of international horses mostly pay their own way. In the years I was a listed rider, I don't recall any handouts :-). The OTP funding is unbelievably generous, in that it has paid for one year of a coach! And part of the costs of the European tour for 6 of the WEG declared horse and rider combinations. Those combinations had enormous expenses that were NOT covered, each ended up paying something around $40K over and above the funding from OTP.

Mostly members pay their annual memberships, sometimes the levy (if they show) and make perhaps some donations to the Team. So where are you "paying the freight"? Sorry, I don't mean to sound critical, but I would really like to know what it is that you think you are paying for, and what you expect to get in return.

I agree that there is a need for more programs and opportunities for riders at the lower levels to advance and learn. But honestly, would you participate if the opportunities were there? Would you pay a (subsidized) fee of even $50 a lesson to train with a high profile coach in a program brought to you by DC? What do YOU want to see in terms of "more" from DC? How can we "give back"? Do you expect FEI riders to give free clinics? After they already pay more for everything? Seriously, I am very interested, because I know that when I was Chair of Domestic Development, we would put programs in place and then not have any participants. Now it is possible that we just put in place the wrong programs, but I know that a symposium (and everybody loves those, right?) had to be canceled for lack of participation. And where are the auditors at big time clinics?

So seriously, tell me what you expect as a member of DC. I will guarantee you if you do, I will get that information to members of the DC Board, and to the chairs of committees. But please don't claim that you are paying for the FEI and high performance riders! I haven't received a cent from DC or EC in over 10 years of riding at that level - nobody paid my way! And if I got some small subsidy on my lessons with the TEAM COACH, I still had to pay quite a bit myself! Mostly what you are paying for is administration costs at EC. And I am not even going to go there. Read the budgets, look at what EC does, and then decide what you are paying for.

So, let's hear it!

Liz

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:04 AM
Well, Liz, you could be absolutely right! Perhaps I am way off in thinking that the money from grass roots riders is going to the Int'l riders.

Perhaps that is something that EC needs to make known to its members, because I will bet you that a large percentage, like me, assume that that is where the money is going. The rising fees and levies HAVE to be going somewhere, and in my experience they certainly aren't flowing in this direction.

Maybe they can include that information in all "transparency" they always talk about?

I also understand that entry fees are higher at the higher levels, but I'm surprised that the sheer number of lower level entries as opposed to the smaller number of higher level entries doesn't still support that the lower levels pay more than their share. Perhaps it is the region I live in, where there are very few to no higher level riders, that is skewing my perception?

Regardless, I thank you for answering my question and pointing out to me that all those fees and levy's DON'T go towards the Int'l Team.

As to your question of why people don't attend educational opportunities when they are made available, I can say that in my area there have been opportunities that the membership were never made aware of by the local dressage association, and therefore most of us missed them entirely.

NJR

curious18
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
Liz, as you know the facts, I was wondering if you could clarify something. Do both the EC membership fee and the DC fee go purely for EC admin costs?

darkbay
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks Liz, for a very informative post. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things.

I try to attend as many educational opportunities as possible and I agree with NJR that most of the time we simply don’t know about them.

dilligaff2
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:42 PM
I also understand that entry fees are higher at the higher levels, but I'm surprised that the sheer number of lower level entries as opposed to the smaller number of higher level entries doesn't still support that the lower levels pay more than their share. Perhaps it is the region I live in, where there are very few to no higher level riders, that is skewing my perception?

This is something I wonder about too. How many Bronze/Silver/Gold Members are out there compared to Platinum? How much Revenue comes from these members and how much Expense do they generate?

I went through the financial reports and they are very general with no breakdown on where the revenue was generated. From what I can tell, EC made over $300,000 last year with the Dressage portion contributing $100,000 and has nearly $1.4 million in Assets. On top of this, they received 1.8Million in Government Funding.

Liz Steacie
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
I think it is possible to get more detailed financial reports from EC (and if it isn't, it SHOULD be!). Maybe someone who really understands them could get a hold of them and let us all know where and how the $ come and go :-). I have trouble making head or tail of them, I must admit, but I have tried to represent the picture as accurately as possible, given the limitations of my understanding. So if someone with more expertise in this area stepped up, that would awesome!

Back in the day, I know there were some "creative" accounting practices ... I don't know how they are now.

L

Nojacketrequired
Nov. 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
This may be helpful in some way for you number crunchers out there?

2009 Sport Licenses....

5 195 Bronze; (31%) Only WT, Training and First Level
2 850 Silver; (17%)
7 171 Gold; (43%)
989 Platinum(6%)
408 Syndicate and others(2%) - not sure what this is? Maybe Int'l horses?

Total Sport Licenses = 16613

NJR

Bronte
Nov. 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks Liz! Okay, I have not been on DCB for 2 years and left Sport Council one year ago. So, I am a little out of date, (but not too much). I also sat on the finance committee, domestic development and rules committees. The EC Financial Director is an outstanding professional, and there is absolutely no creative accounting.

Does EC and DC membership fees largely pay for admin, yes and membership benefits, ie DC & EC magazine, website, escrit etc. High Performance depends 100% on Sport Canada funding, and as Liz so rightly addressed, to qualify for funding you must follow a rigid formulaic process, which is very demanding on the EC & DC staff. And at the end of the day, the funding is never enough to fund our athletes appropriately. Our elite athletes make huge financial sacrifices to represent Canada. The OTP was a huge bonus, prior to OTP Dressage funding from Sport Canada was under (well under) 100K per annum. Now, just ball parking, in a major games year, sending a team is somewhere around 250K, (this is not including the money athletes and owners have to raise). How do you like that touch of reality?

I would also like to point out that the EC & DC staff I have worked with over the years are a very hard working, professional group. They work very long hours and handle a very large workload. They handle funding applications that boggle the mind. They backstop the development of such programmes as Long Term Athlete Development, which structures our (and all other funded sports), programmes from entry level through elite. The LTAD model impacts the National Coaching program, Rider Development Program and to a degree recreation. In addition they support the Officials Committees, Rules Committees, Domestic Development Committee, Discipine Boards, Sport Council and the whole EC infrastructure and the PSO's. And much much more.

Is it a perfect structure. Absolutely not. There are in excess of 86 standing committees!!! A governance nightmare, frequently found in the not-for-profit sector! These 86 committees are populated by hard working volunteers, many of whom are professionals, accountants, lawyers etc., who give tirelessly of there knowledge and expertise. Trust me there are some very smart people doing their best to make things happen. Now, can you imagine how much work 86 committees produces for the staff (and that's before they get down to the essential business of satisfying the requirements of Sport Canada).

If you do not know what DC/EC does for you, you have not looked at the website, without EC/DC and the PSO's there would be no certified coaches, no certified judges and stewards, no athlete development program, no permit shows, no high performance, no recognized breeds and industry. We would have no voice in the Canadian Equestrian industry, no interface with Jumping, Eventing, Reining, Driving, Vaulting, Endurance, Para, Breeds & Industry and Recreation.

Regards funding clinics etc, apply to Domestic Development, that is what the Levy program is for!

Get involved, you might just get your eyes opened!

Judith Pineault

ShannonLee
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you Judith and Liz for clarifying so much! This BB might be handy in getting the word out to those who are not visiting the EC or DC website.

alto
Nov. 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
Would you pay a (subsidized) fee of even $50 a lesson to train with a high profile coach in a program brought to you by DC?

you must be joking - tender that offer to the kids my daughter rides with & the clinic would be sold out in seconds!