PDA

View Full Version : What Would Your Horse Have Done?

Mike Matson
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:55 AM
Take a look at what happens in this dressage ring 55 seconds into the video. :eek: What would your horse have done?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1130866077003

Showjumper28
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
The link isn't loading for me :(

esdressage
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Where did that thing come from… the SKY??? Crazy.

I think my horse would have reacted about the same as hers did, although mine might have tried a bit harder to keep going in the opposite direction!

lizathenag
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
yikes!

WBLover
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Aww, I wanted to see it but I can't get into FB from work. Is it embedded from YouTube somewhere I can get to?

Mike Matson
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
It's only on FaceBook.

GoLightly02
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hilarious!
Good job on the part of the rider.

I'd have had a coronary.

ShotenStar
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
Lordy, my big mare would have been several states away in the blink of an eye. The little QH mare would be standing there saying 'excuse me?'

*Star*

UnoIsMyHorse
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:55 AM
What on earth was it? My horse would have done the same thing, maybe a little smaller spook. Then he would have gone to check the thing out, on the chance that it is edible. That is a Fjord for you.

Bethe Mounce
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:18 PM
I like to think mine would take it in stride, but.....I think she would have darted sideways and then wanted to go investigate. ;)

leilatigress
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
DD had a Beach Ball land in the ring right after she had saluted to start her test. Pony actually hit it with his head and kept right on rockin. Had he been at home though yeah DD and he would have parted ways and he would have kicked that ball all over the place playing with it. Arab mare I ride yeah she would have done that fantastic pirouette and exited the ring with or without the rider. (She doesn't care if you are on or not.)

islgrl
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am fairly certain we would have been in the next county in seconds (well, to clarify, my horse would have been - if I were still with him or not probably incidental). Where do you suppose it came from?

Mike Matson
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
Looks like a parasail or parachute. The people are looking up in the sky after it landed.

islgrl
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
Which begs the question what happened to the person it was supposed to be attached to? :eek:

ThreeFigs
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:45 PM
Crazy! What a good horse, though. Doubt many horses would have passed so close to the "intruder".

ThreeFigs
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:45 PM
Which begs the question what happened to the person it was supposed to be attached to? :eek:

Ooh. Good question...

Mike Matson
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:40 PM
Someone who knows French said it was a main parachute that had been released. Now why would someone release their main parachute? :eek:

alibi_18
Sep. 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
It is a parachute!

So I translate: The parachutist had torn his first parachute while opening it, he simply unlocked and threw it away quickly (That is the one landing in the dressage ring). Then, he opened his second one and landed not to far on the show ground and got back his first parachute a little later, really confused and sooo sorry!

leilatigress
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:02 PM

Us horse folks are just worried about rider and horses. Who cares about the person attached to the thing so long as it doesn't land on our horse or trailer ;) (I kid I kid, hopefully parachutist was okay.)

dwblover
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:10 PM
What are the odds of that happening?!!!:eek: I think my horse would do the EXACT same thing, a sideways spook plus a totally half-hearted bolt. I do however think he would have stepped over the little white rail and walked out of the arena a little further away from the bright orange invader!

TropicalStorm
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:19 PM
We would have pulled a Snagglepuss.

"Exitttt....stage left....!!!"

ThreeFigs
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evidently the 'chutist was fine. He fetched his wayward parachute later, with apologies, according to alibi_18.

meupatdoes
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:56 PM
I need this every time my horse drags his toes in the lateral work.

"Oh really?"
*parachute*
"THERE'S the sideways!"

Hampton Bay
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
My 4-yo is terrified of anything that flies (darned people who teach Arabs to be terrified of bags!), so he would have sat down, spun, and taken off. Luckily he responds very well to "Kashmir, HO!" And then he gets on with it.

The big mare... that depends on the day and the mood, which can vary by the minute. On a calm day, she would stare, but not much else. On a naughty day, she would lose every last brain cell she has, take off, and good luck getting her attention back for the rest of the day.

BaroquePony
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
Posted by islgrl:

Thank you for that :yes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quest52
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think my guy's original reaction would have been very similar to this horse's reaction but I don't think we would have trotted nicely by the big orange monster like the horse did, and when the lady came into the ring and lifted the parachute there probably would have been an additional little scoot. When I saw her lifting it before the horse left the ring I was thinking "ohh.. don't touch it! You're behind the horse now!" But that particular horse didn't seem to mind.

Puddin Pie
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
About 10 seconds earlier and it would have landed on her! Then what would have happened. I think mine would have just had heart failure and died on the spot.

EqTrainer
Sep. 24, 2010, 06:30 PM
My question is, would I have been thrown before or after I wet myself in Anticipation of the launching that was about to happen?!!! My horse freezes, and then spin/bolts when terrified.

ginger708
Sep. 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
My horse would have been out of there. Hopefully I would have been with him.

Carol O
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:25 PM
Maybe my DWB would not be so inclined to performed aires above the ground, if the sky was throwing things back at him! My Fabulous Friesian Filly by Teade would stick her tongue out at it!

WTF was that????

Blue Domino
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
My horse would have done the same thing, except I'd a landed in the dirt.

Trevelyan96
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, that was definitely one of those bizarre things you never expect to happen. I think both horse and rider handled it well.

Mine probably would have reacted about the same, but I'm not sure I'd have been able to handle it as well as that rider. Chances are I'd have suffered an unintentional dismount.

Arab/WBGirl
Sep. 25, 2010, 04:29 AM
My Petey would likely have reacted about the same, then marched over to it, picked it up and started flipping it around. Anything that is not red hot or tied down, or completely out of his reach is a toy as far as he is concerned.

manentail
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:17 AM
That's a good way to sack a horse out, start dropping things from the sky. LOL At least it didn't happen in the middle of the test. Do you think if it had they would have let the poor girl start over?

Nancy!
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:15 AM
My guy would bolt. Even though he never does - well only for photographer's tents that blow over the arena fence and chase him. Just as we were walking around the inside of the arena (no room to walk outside) before starting our test. Had to go out and start my test right away. Like riding a giraffe on crack.:lol:

Nancy!

Blue Domino
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:15 AM
My horse would still be running towards Mexico, looking over his shoulder once in awhile to see if there was another booger man.

sptraining
Sep. 27, 2010, 02:36 PM
That brings bombproofing to a whole new level...

belgianWBLuver
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
OMG! Mine woud have done his tela-porting trick right out of the arena and the show park and perhaps into the next county!!!!
The french explanation goes on to say it was a parachutist who lost his parachute! I say this little horse is really a gem - were can I buy him!!!!

BetterOffRed
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
My horse probably would have done the same thing...but I don't think I would have been able to walk him past it once it was on the arena. And then he would have needed a valium and a bottle of Patron once we got him back to the stall.

Well done on the rider's part- back in the saddle and heels down! And No big deal to get her horse past it. She looked more skeered X-Halt-Saluting at the end of the test. lol!

eponacelt
Sep. 28, 2010, 06:55 AM
Well, I've HAD something very similar happen, while taking the green bean who is not particularly reliable on his first trail ride. Managed to stay in the saddle as a hanglider flew about 20 feet over our heads, and landed in the field next to us - on our own farm.

Seriously, the hanglider felt terrible as he tries really hard to avoid any livestock because he knows how scary he can be to them. But he didn't see us coming out of the orchard next to the field!

Fortunately, dippy green bean kept his (miniscule) head and we got back to the barn safely. He even walked up to the hanglider after we got it out of the field.