PDA

View Full Version : sitting trot in hunter eq...

Reddfox
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:10 AM
Just a quick question - I've been out of hunters for a while and am diving back in. But I can't seem to find information on how the sitting trot and trot should be ridden in the eq classes.

When i was young, we would train for a relaxed, yet forward trot and that the sitting trot doesn't change. Now it seems that one of either two thing happen in the ring...either the horses are trotting so slow so that the sitting trot doesn't change - or the sitting trot becomes dramatically slower in order for the rider to sit...

Did the more forward trot go away in favor of a very slow trot and no visible change for sitting? Thanks for your help!

ExJumper
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:15 AM
The good eq riders will still sit a forward trot. Those of us who aren't very good (such as myself) will slow the hell down until we can sit without knocking out our fillings.

Like anything else people think is terrible and "epidemic," the people who are good will do it correctly. Those who aren't, won't.

Lucassb
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
People tend to confuse collection with slowing down. You *do* want to collect the trot somewhat when you transition to sitting trot, but you should maintain the same rhythm and energy that you had while posting.

Being able to execute this well can win you a lot of flat classes. :)

ponymom64
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
People tend to confuse collection with slowing down. You *do* want to collect the trot somewhat when you transition to sitting trot, but you should maintain the same rhythm and energy that you had while posting.

;)

LB - I have a little snip of video of the DD flatting the gorgeous Spree-man in VT showing a nice transition from posting to sitting trot with no change in rhythm or energy at all. It makes it easier to have a horse like him that makes it looks so easy :)

Lucassb
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
;)

LB - I have a little snip of video of the DD flatting the gorgeous Spree-man in VT showing a nice transition from posting to sitting trot with no change in rhythm or energy at all. It makes it easier to have a horse like him that makes it looks so easy :)

Awww, Ponymom... your DD would make any horse look beautiful, she rode him like the rockstar she is. You must send me the snip or post it!!!

And when is she coming out to do the video tape??

ponymom64
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:01 AM
Awww, Ponymom... your DD would make any horse look beautiful, she rode him like the rockstar she is. You must send me the snip or post it!!!

And when is she coming out to do the video tape??

You're sweet! She loves him and thinks he's special, so she always tries to ride nice ;)

We're headed to Maryland to look at a school this weekend and then cramming to get ready for OSF but I'll have her reach out to you to schedule. Here's the snip - from my iPhone, so quality - not so much - LOL!! They switch from rising trot to sitting on the circle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbRuoSwd_I

Ozone
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:14 AM

:yes:

And sitting a nice collected trot is a heck of a lot more work (IMO) than just slowing down and sitting the trot.

Lucassb
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
You're sweet! She loves him and thinks he's special, so she always tries to ride nice ;)

We're headed to Maryland to look at a school this weekend and then cramming to get ready for OSF but I'll have her reach out to you to schedule. Here's the snip - from my iPhone, so quality - not so much - LOL!! They switch from rising trot to sitting on the circle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbRuoSwd_I

Oh, thanks and have fun!!! She looks great, as always :)

She can come anytime she likes... we should be mostly moved into the new place by the time you return ;)

Lucassb
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:25 AM

And sitting a nice collected trot is a heck of a lot more work (IMO) than just slowing down and sitting the trot.

Amen :winkgrin:

Reddfox
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
Ok thanks all!

I've been doing dressage for a long while now during my hiatus from hunters so I know that collected and working trots should carry the same tempo at least in dressage...

I just got really confused when I overheard a coach tell a student that there should be a clear difference in the sitting trot as compared to the working trot. In my mind, this was wrong - but as I said - I've been out of the game for a while, so, who am I to question. :)

indygirl2560
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:15 PM
My trainer and I just discussed this in a lesson the other day. With all the medal finals going on and coming up, when we sit the trot in lessons, she usually tells my friends and I to keep that forward movement and not to let our horses fall behind our legs. I have noticed at shows that a lot of people slow down their horses significantly to sit and collect the trot.

Midge
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:07 PM

Which is why I like to let mine get slow and fall behind my leg. I can do what passes for sitting then. A real trot? I don't have the back for that anymore.