PDA

View Full Version : How are your First Level horses going ?

mandalea
Sep. 24, 2010, 02:53 AM
Since Australia has taken on USEF dressage tests, I believe we are on an even playing field now :) (IMO, your tests are easier than ours were ;))

So, since we changed our tests over, Taffy and I have advanced. A lot. We could sorta hold a Training level test (Aus Preliminary) but we've moved onto First level (Aus Novice) and have never been better !

He has been so good, I entered our first ever Open Dressage comp back in April and we placed third in our Novice test on about 65%, and winning our Prelim on 70%, smashing the field by about 7%. And this is only Young Riders !

He has been progressing in leaps and bounds (almost literally :D) and we are starting on Second level stuff (Aus Elementary)

Since he's just coming back in from injury now, I don't have anything, but should have on the weekend to show.

But, how are your guys going ? I love seeing progress reports ! :D

mandalea
Oct. 21, 2010, 07:48 AM
Finally got some recent video of Taffy..

18 months ago doing our old Prelim test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCz8xouLiXA&feature=fvwk

Yesterday doing our First level freestyle :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtvL5pabJbU&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=M66jzgG9lW4

TropicalStorm
Oct. 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
He's a cute boy, but I'm wondering if he looks sore? He seems to almost be limping on the right front I think?
Maybe I'm just seeing things?

Congrats on your test results!

meupatdoes
Oct. 21, 2010, 03:38 PM
He's a cute boy, but I'm wondering if he looks sore? He seems to almost be limping on the right front I think?
Maybe I'm just seeing things?

Congrats on your test results!

I agree.

To me the horse looks like it limps on the RF especially when turning right.

Sometimes they warm up creaky and work out of it so I am not opposed to riding through a little here and there, but if I was riding one and it felt like what it looks like in the video I would call it quits for the day.

But on the other hand, he looks really cute in the before video!

joiedevie99
Oct. 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
Ditto. That horse is very lame in the recent video.

Pony Fixer
Oct. 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
Also ditto. I had to turn it off--10 m circle with lame horse makes me go ouch. Hopefully this issue either has already been resolved, or you'll see Taffy with new eyes now and call someone!

Hampton Bay
Oct. 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
I noticed the same thing. He doesn't look sound, though I have trouble watching videos so I couldn't tell if it was him being unsound or you being very tense and bouncing, and thus he appeared unsound because he wasn't really forward.

But do have someone check to make sure he's sound before you continue working at 2nd level. And consider taking some lunge lessons. You seem quite tense, and it's making his job even more difficult, especially since you are quite tall and he is small. Your tension will unbalance him much more than it would on a larger horse.

mandalea
Oct. 22, 2010, 06:54 AM
His toes are long and he's getting a trim tomorrow, and he has a crack in his right foot which is a bit unstable, which is getting fixed tomorrow. He;s not sore, I test his feet everyday, all over his feet for sore spots because it's been quite wet here and I've been battling thrush with him for a little while. I can guarantee you, his is not sore :) If he was sore, I wouldn't ride him.

I need a new saddle, because that one is too short for my femurs, and I have to work extra hard to keep myself in the saddle, so I do tend to get a little bit more tense.

netg
Oct. 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
Your horse may not have sore feet, but he has a limp, and that typically indicates something wrong which you should get checked out. That's why we're concerned, and at least around here you would get excused from a show with a horse limping like that.

joiedevie99
Oct. 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Your horse may not have sore feet, but he has a limp, and that typically indicates something wrong which you should get checked out. That's why we're concerned, and at least around here you would get excused from a show with a horse limping like that.

Correct, you would be excused from a show on a horse that looks like that. The lameness may not be coming from his feet- could be leg, back, shoulder... Get it checked out. It's not fair to him to ask him to work when he looks that bad.

ddashaq
Oct. 22, 2010, 07:37 PM
I agree with the others. He is very cute and looks to have come along well, but definitely needs to see a vet. If there is something wrong besides his feet, it will have been well worth the visit.:)

mandalea
Oct. 23, 2010, 01:16 AM
Well, he's had his feet done, had a lunge, bought him in on a small circle, no limping, as I said, toes were to long and he wasn't stepping properly.

Pony Fixer
Oct. 23, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm not trying to be snarky, but if my horse was THAT lame just because his toes were long--I'd have the farrier out A LOT more often! :o ;)

mandalea
Oct. 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
My dad does his feet, and has been busy and has had a bad back. He was about 2 weeks over due, and, like I said, he had cracks in the wall, which spread when weight is put on them and give way a little bit, thus his limping. He's not been sore anywhere, it was just his hoof wall giving way a little bit.

Tegan
Oct. 23, 2010, 11:21 PM
So why are you riding him? If he is two weeks overdue, and his feet are so bad that it is making him limp, why not just wait until your dad can trim him?

I'd say he definitely is sore based on that video.

meupatdoes
Oct. 24, 2010, 12:47 AM
So why are you riding him? If he is two weeks overdue, and his feet are so bad that it is making him limp, why not just wait until your dad can trim him?

I'd say he definitely is sore based on that video.

This.

All of OPs responses explain why he was lame, not why she rode him anyway while he was lame.
And not just slightly lame. Three-legged on the small circles and turns. Which they did ...again and again... ?
I mean, I can understand riding 'diagnostically' for a couple minutes to pin point 'where is it?' so you can tell the vet where/when the lameness is most acute but not la la la la la let's just do our freestyle anyway, roll tape! ...? That horse was LAME.

Normally this is the sort of thread I would try to stay out of, but this honestly bothers me.

Pony Fixer
Oct. 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Ditto. That was sort of my point as well, although I was more obtuse about it. The OP appears to be a youngin' so I'll give her a pass on having the best judgement on this one as long as she uses this thread as a learning experience.