PDA

View Full Version : Another Hunter Sire question...sorry

pokeyman
Sep. 23, 2010, 09:23 PM
First, I want to apologize for yet another sire thread. But, I could really use some input from experienced breeders/riders.

I am looking to breed one of my TB mares to a warmblood.

What Hunter stallion will do this:

-Pass on quiet, easy, ammy friendly disposition

-Pass on movement (improves movement on mare)

-Pass on jumping form

-Pass on long neck

I want him to mirror my mare's strengths which are:

-Strong, deep hip

-Correct leg set

-Balance with short back (long backs are my pet peeve so he must throw short backs)

-Bone and substance (I want to keep it)

-Good canter

What am I willing to give up:

-Movement (prefer above average mover at the trot but does not have to be a "10")

-Do not need refinement

-Do not need "bling"

Do not need IHF nominated or even registered with breed registry if he has performance record

-Do not need Jumping scope

-Do not need him to throw size (as long as he throws width)

What is my most important thing he pass on: Disposition (easy to start under saddle; great for child-amateur; won't need lunging endlessly; uncomplicated).

He MUST be proven as a sire AND performer. No unproven stallions please...

Any input would be very much appreciated if you are all not sick of this topic!!!

She is due to foal in April so I am starting my search now as good stud deals can be had with early bookings.....

CBoylen
Sep. 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
You probably want Shine. He was quiet and easy when he was showing, and doesn't have any flaws that would interfere with your requirements. I haven't been around any of his offspring closely enough to tell anything concrete about them, but the horse itself fits with your goals, so I suggest you look into them further.

EquineLVR
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:24 PM
Cunningham - but you will probably get some size and scope.

Romantic Star

Redwine

Westporte

Nickelodian
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
Shine is still showing, doing the derbies only now though...and very very well.

I'd recommend westporte.

CBoylen
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Shine is still showing, doing the derbies only now though...and very very well.

Really? Sorry, I lost track of him after he left the east coast, and figured he'd be retired by now.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:49 PM
Really? Sorry, I lost track of him after he left the east coast, and figured he'd be retired by now.

Nope, he's done quite well in Texas. Was a saint to his adult amateur owner.

Shine and Cunningham were the two that first came to mind. Although, as EquineLVR said, Cunningham would add size. Shine is a bit smaller.

AndNirina
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:28 AM
Cunningham was the first that came to my mind as well. He would seem to be a great choice for your mare.

fourfillies
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:42 AM
Sue Sisco's Capital III would meet your requirements nicely. Not as well known or advertised but a very solid super ammy friendly choice. I have a 2yo filly out of my TB mare with similar characteristics to your mare and have been very pleased. He's in PA.

pokeyman
Sep. 24, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will go check out all the boys listed.

Does anyone know if, other than Shine, there is a perfect hunter sire, in a smaller (15.1hh-16.1hh) package?

Note I used the word "sire" and not stallion as I am more interested in what they pass on than what they are themselves......

Thanks again!

horsechick
Sep. 24, 2010, 08:41 AM
If you want one that is "born broke" so to speak, look at Escapade. Most of his kids I've seen have been so easy...Alicia had pictures of some 4 YO Escapades showing at WEF last year with their amateurs on her Facebook page.

Also, may want to post in Sport Horse Breeding section....

fefedog
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:20 AM
I like ironman (Nancy Maloney) I have 3 babies and they do seem easy to work with ,my 3yr old is under saddle now and seems to be going great he is a big boy and they all seem to have wonderful personalities. my two year old has just had a saddle on his back and even with it banging him he could care less he is very quiet and I thought he would be the sensitive one.

NinaL aka Chrissy
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know if, other than Shine, there is a perfect hunter sire, in a smaller (15.1hh-16.1hh) package?

Note I used the word "sire" and not stallion as I am more interested in what they pass on than what they are themselves......

Thanks again!

If you want a smaller package have a look at Jupiter. http://dornataintor.com/stallion.html.

Nina

ktm2007
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
If you want a smaller package have a look at Jupiter. http://dornataintor.com/stallion.html.

Nina

I was also going to suggest Jupiter. HE is on the smaller size, and I believe that most of his babies stayed on the smaller size. Chef Jade on here had (still has?) a mare by Jupiter. You may want to shoot her a PM

ponymom64
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:13 PM
While he is just starting his hunter career - you might want to look at JustBay's Edison. He seems like he might fit most of what you are looking for and I think she mentioned that he doesn't seem to add size, though you'd have to check with her to be certain.

CBoylen
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:16 PM
Cunningham is also quite long in the back himself in person. Jupiter is the nicest small stallion in my opinion, but was scopey and sophisticated so he isn't what came to mind for me first after reading the original post.

pokeyman
Sep. 24, 2010, 01:59 PM

Nina

He sounds perfect but his website is less than informative. sheesh. I have yet to come across a stallion with so little marketing as him. But, am definitely intrigued enough to contact his farm. Thanks!

Also, googled him and found a few posts that he is a gentleman but could be a bit "hot" and needed flatwork (but no lunging) before shows.

Since I am breeding a TB mare, I do not need more hot! I want something that you have to wake up! hahahaha

I use to like hot but now that I am middle aged with kids, I want to breed for the- couch potato horse- not the energizer bunny! Been there, done that, no thanks!

Any other small warmblood hunter sires? Should I consider large ponies? Mare is 15.2hh and I want to stay in that range but keep her bone, substance, and width (big barrel and big hip).

Fairview Horse Center
Sep. 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
Nevada would definitely meet your requirements with the exception of the big body. He is not a heavy bodied stallion. He also has a pretty limited show record as he has been a busy breeding stallion, but he has placed every time he has been shown. Many of his youngsters are being shown by amateurs and junior riders.

amt813
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:24 PM
If you want more information on Jupiter you might try sending a PM to lphoeb - she posts on this board sometimes and owned, rode and showed Jupiter for several years. (She is the one showing him in the video). I am sure she would be happy to tell you all about him :)

sixpoundfarm
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:15 PM
I booked and bred a mare to Jupiter this season, and while the website is lacking, Mavis was very nice to deal with. I believe there is a bit more info on him on her Facebook page for him.
His fresh and frozen semen is of good quality.

MDHorseGirl
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
There's always Just the Best =) My personal fav, I'm not sure on size tho.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 24, 2010, 05:48 PM
Just watched the video of Jupiter, and I will say that I think his canter is better than both Cunningham and Shine, both of which I've seen in person multiple times.

Mayaty02
Sep. 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
anyone have video of Jupiter's trot?

pokeyman
Sep. 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks again, everyone for the additional information!!!

can't re-
Sep. 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
anyone have video of Jupiter's trot?

While I don't have a video, I have seen Jupi in person. He has a very nice trot. My Jupiter mare (Joy) won the hack at WEF over 70 horses. I also bred to Jupiter and produced a fantastic mover - both trot and canter.

VirginiaBred
Sep. 25, 2010, 07:53 PM
OP wants proven performance stallions. Some suggested aren't that.

"He MUST be proven as a sire AND performer. No unproven stallions please..."

Pennywell Bay
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
I second the Ironman. We have 3 in our barn and 3 great movers, 3 great personalities. EASY EASY EASY to break. Momma had her hot moments and I am hacking the 3 year old on small trails. He is big bodied, though. Dead quiet. Just lovely to work around.

judybigredpony
Sep. 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Jupiter was the 1st that came to mind over all the others.

My Jupiter was big 16.2 but out of a huge TB mare.

He not only was a fabulous H/J but excelled in Dressage and in a pinch would fox-hunt.
Had a super trot and even bettter canter.............

findeight
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:07 AM
Should I consider large ponies? Mare is 15.2hh and I want to stay in that range but keep her bone, substance, and width (big barrel and big hip).

Good lord, NO.

Terrible gamble it will throw at least a hand taller then it is...liable to get 2 inches and end up with an expensive to produce hony. Stick to the horse.

You do realize you cannot pick and chose what gets passed and what does not? Select for the whole package, not pieces and parts in hopes they will combine in just the right way.

Shine sounds like a good bet for a nice colt out of your mare.

Justice
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
I have owned two Jupiter babies and have and ridden others. Jupiter is incredibly pre-potent and passes on his jump fairly regularly. However, as much as I love his babies, I will say that they are sensitive, and that even the quietest among them have their quirks. I am his biggest fan but would not suggest him for the OP based on her original post.

My current baby is out of a Jupiter mare and by Escapade. I'm aware that Escapade hasn't had a lot of ring time so he's not a great match for the OP, but I can vouch for his calming influence in this case.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 26, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cunningham for sure.

He has passed on everything you are looking for, except for Hunter movement. The babies I have see are very elegant and powerful movers, although they don't have the classic flat knee Hunter movement.

He definitely passes on the long neck, substance, disposition and solid conformation.

We used him with our Alla 'Czar mare and were thrilled with the results: Sakura Hill Campai (http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=65) (sold as a Hunter stallion prospect at 2 months).

The Alla 'Czar mare is in foal to Crown Affair (another one you should consider, although there are very few foal by him on the ground currently) for a 2011 filly foal (http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=127), however we will be using him next year on a different mare (http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=138) and are eager to see the results.

pokeyman
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have owned two Jupiter babies and have and ridden others. Jupiter is incredibly pre-potent and passes on his jump fairly regularly. However, as much as I love his babies, I will say that they are sensitive, and that even the quietest among them have their quirks. I am his biggest fan but would not suggest him for the OP based on her original post.

My current baby is out of a Jupiter mare and by Escapade. I'm aware that Escapade hasn't had a lot of ring time so he's not a great match for the OP, but I can vouch for his calming influence in this case.

Thank you for that...appreciate the honesty!

Also, thanks to everyone else for all the suggestions but with the exception of Shine and Jupiter, the stallion suggestions are all really huge (16.3/17hh). :-(

I am a big believer that good things come in small packages. Plus, the older I get, the closer to the ground I want to be!! LOL So, I definitely want to stay in the 15.2hh/15.3hh range!!

Boy, is there a big prejudice against small warmbloods out there or something? Is seems like they are all 16.3/17hh. I am 5'7 but still do not want such a big horse. Why the fascination with such huge horses?

Of course, when I was a kid I could pop up on anything and now.......not so much!!! hehehe

Anyone have experience with Claim to Fame? I am NOT a pinto fan at all but from what I read his disposition sounds great and, hopefully, I would end up with a solid colored foal (sorry, pinto lovers...no disrespect but just not my thing).

sptraining
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:36 PM
Still happy with my Balta'Czar (http://www.jumpstartfarm.com/Default.asp?Page=111) baby (http://www.youtube.com/sptrainingstables#p/a/u/2/mr5K-GBKPn8)...

I've seen some other pics of Balta'Czar's foals and they're stunning. Dam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-drZOpa5ihY) of mine was a firecracker so clearly she got her disposition from her father.

Dam was 16h. Baby seems to be topping out around 15.3h (I keep telling her if she's going to be short, she needs to be short enough to do the Small Juniors). Better movement than the dam. Better built than the dam. Acceptable trot for the hunters (moves better barefoot, but probably won't be hack winner a big shows), but nice and easy canter.

I'm also 5'7 and previously owned a 17.2h warmblood. Coming down off that onto my 15.3h overgrown pony hunter was quite a change. But it is SO MUCH EASIER to deal with smaller horses than the bigger ones. My big warmblood was a doll but I'm sort of starting to like the little ones...

Whitehedge Farm
Sep. 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
I had not actually seen video of Jupiter before this and I have to say I was VERY impressed. LOVE his canter and jump! I have a mare that would be perfect for him! Maybe next year! :)

Tha Ridge
Sep. 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hmm, what about Cabardino or Chaleon? I don't know a ton about either of their babies, but I think they're only 16.1 hh or so?

Galatois is small too, but I know virtually nothing about him: http://darkhorsefarm.com/galatois.html

lauriep
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:38 PM
Claim to Fame is a LOVELY stallion. He has proven himself in the show ring, both with a pro and with his amateur owner. He jumps and moves well. Won on the line as a baby. And has a wonderful temperament. The offspring I have seen have all been very nice. Can highly recommend him.

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:43 PM
Galatois is small too, but I know virtually nothing about him: http://darkhorsefarm.com/galatois.html

Wow:eek: I am drooling over my keyboard right now!

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
Just watched the video of Jupiter, and I will say that I think his canter is better than both Cunningham and Shine, both of which I've seen in person multiple times.

For the Hunters, I agree. Although Cunningahm has a super uphill and active canter and (seems to throw this), I don't think it will win any hack classes.

stonevali
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
I would definitely have to say Escapade. The temperment he passes on is AMAZING!! I kept hearing about this amazing temperment and then my baby came along. When she was 9 months old and was lying down in the stall I sat on her back for the first time. She literally just looked at me like okay. She handles new experiences great, and is just got a great mind. She also is super lovely, is exquisite to look at, and moves amazingly. We just got back from inspections and the inspector stopped to talk to me about her and how he wished me the best of luck because he thought she was lovely. I can't say enough about Escapade as a stallion. He is truly amazing. My mare is actually very typey and scored extremely high when inspected as well, and I can say that our baby is definitely an improvement of her. I think he can definitely be called a stamping stallion.

pokeyman
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
Ok, thanks everyone! I now have a great list to work with!!!

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:59 AM
Ooh I LOVE Cabardino, he is so fluid and his jumping technique in is so clean and tidy. He is definitely on our short list for the future. The fact that he's gone from winning in the Hunters to winning in the Level 7 jumpers has to say something! He's an even more beautiful boy in person.

MsRidiculous
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
JMO but how easy a horse is to handle as a baby doesn't necessarily tell you anything about what they'll be like to ride. Find people who are actually RIDING the offspring of the stallions you're looking at. Even if they aren't showing yet, once they've got a couple months of riding time at least you have an idea of what kind of riding horse you've got. I have seen it time and time again where really quiet and easy babies were a lot more sensitive and/or difficult riding horses.

VirginiaBred
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
Find people who are actually RIDING the offspring of the stallions you're looking at.

Well again I'll say that the OP asked for suggestions of stallions that are proven performance stallions and have proven get. Some of the stallions suggested do not fit into that category.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Sep. 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well again I'll say that the OP asked for suggestions of stallions that are proven performance stallions and have proven get. Some of the stallions suggested do not fit into that category.

Yup. Also, I'm pretty sure one suggested by someone probably wouldn't improve the hind end, but really, who's keeping track...these threads are great for ideas, but then you really need to do your own due dilligence. Which I'm sure you plan to do!

I'm posting to agree with the poster who stated that what a baby is like really is not necessarily what you get under saddle. I've seen this many times. I know a couple monsters (one is actually completely unrideable--scary dangerous--and vets 100% ok) and many bad horses under saddle were the quietest, sweetest, in-your-pocket babies according to their breeders/owners--easy to lead/trim/load, etc. I've also seen it go the other way with spooky/shy/standoff babies being fantastic undersaddle. And of course quiet babies being quiet undersaddle, and so on and so forth.

FineAlready
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:10 PM
I've known several Ironman babies and I am really not a fan. Two of the three I have known have been quite post-legged and not good movers at all. One was the worst-moving horse I have ever seen in my life, actually, and his hind legs were completely straight up and down - no bend to the hock at all.

Granted, I do not know any of the dams, so I do not know if these characteristics are from Ironman or from the dam side...though they did all have different dams. I'm also by no means any sort of breeding expert...so take my 2 cents for what it is worth (2 cents).

Jumper_girl221
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Just offering Silvio as a different option. He's 17h and doesn't have a show record, he was injured when he was younger.

My trainer has two foals out of him and she's been thrilled. Her 3 year old, is 15.1 out of a 15.3 mare and is EASY she's been doing some pleasure classes with a semi-beginner rider and is really quiet and willing. Her other is a four month old, and has been really easy to halter break, but at this point that really all I would know.

I believe his foals have a reputation for good minds, but I'm not sure about size, I just thought I would mention him since I know she's disappointed about the lack of size, but otherwise is in love.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:36 PM
Just offering Silvio as a different option. He's 17h and doesn't have a show record, he was injured when he was younger.

My trainer has two foals out of him and she's been thrilled. Her 3 year old, is 15.1 out of a 15.3 mare and is EASY she's been doing some pleasure classes with a semi-beginner rider and is really quiet and willing. Her other is a four month old, and has been really easy to halter break, but at this point that really all I would know.

I believe his foals have a reputation for good minds, but I'm not sure about size, I just thought I would mention him since I know she's disappointed about the lack of size, but otherwise is in love.

We were interested in breeding to Silvio and went to a local breeding farm that had several Silvio foals, all beautiful, with great temperaments and well put together. No complaints there.

monami
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
Claim to Fame is a LOVELY stallion. He has proven himself in the show ring, both with a pro and with his amateur owner. He jumps and moves well. Won on the line as a baby. And has a wonderful temperament. The offspring I have seen have all been very nice. Can highly recommend him.

2nd that. We have had 2, one is still a baby but is as easy as they come and the other was bred by the stallion's owner and was easy peasy as well. He also passes on lovey doll heads. The only negative would be that if you don't like color you may get it. One of ours was solid black the other is a pinto.

monami
Sep. 27, 2010, 04:55 PM
Also wanted to echo the sediments about sharing the Jupiter comments. It is nice to hear from someone that has actually sat on a Stallion's get. You can have an easy foal and they can turn out to be complicated under saddle, so it is important to get a well rounded perspective. I think he is a lovely horse and that would definitely help in choosing the right mare!!!

wanderlust
Sep. 27, 2010, 05:02 PM
Someone mentioned Just the Best earlier- I've met two of his offspring, both ~15.2 with lovely temperaments, hack winner, and beautiful jumps. Just elegant, wonderful horses.

I'm curious about Escapade. I hear a lot about offspring temperament and look on the line, but not much about those actually under saddle and out showing. I know one of his offspring, a 5yo, who has a darling, quiet temperament and the requisite "bling" and look. However, he is a below-average mover, and has a mediocre jump at best- flat, throws his legs to the side instead of jumping up and around (and he's been well-ridden and carefully started). I suspect it is a function of the quiet, easy temperament, but wanted to know if any others have had similar experience, or if it is just this particular horse.

VirginiaBred
Sep. 27, 2010, 06:35 PM

My trainer has two foals out of him and she's been thrilled.

You don't have foals "out of" a stallion, they are by a stallion and out of the mare.

Just an FYI

Jumper_girl221
Sep. 27, 2010, 08:49 PM
You don't have foals "out of" a stallion, they are by a stallion and out of the mare.

Just an FYI

Uggh... I did know that...sorry. Thats what I get for posting and not paying attention.

alliekat
Sep. 28, 2010, 07:44 AM
Here is a link to some Escapade offspring in the show ring. I found it on Face book though.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13179&id=1698864371
I can only speak for my on experiences with Escapade and his off spring.
Escapade's disposition is about as good as it gets. I have even ridden him several times and he was a complete gentleman. I have a bad back due to a drunk driver and have only ridden a half dozen times since my accident 3 years ago. Two of the times were on Escapade. I also brought my 14 year old daughter and her two teenage girlfriends to Barrington Hill where they also rode Escapade as well as Escapade II. The girls also rode several off his offspring (both horse and pony cross). The offspring were all just started under saddle but went around like little champs. That says alot to me. I Know of several offspring that are now out showing O/F with their Ammy owners. That says a lot to me as well.
I am one of those owners who will tell you that my personal foals have all been easy. This years filly stands ground tied for baths, farrier and even stood ground tied for me to clip her 4 white socks for her inspection. No drugs and I was by my self out in a field. That says a lot to me as well. No it doesn't tell me that she will be easy U/S but I will cross that bridge when we get there. I sure hope she is as my daughter has chosen her of all our foals to keep as her future riding partner. Will she be able to jump? Only time will tell that as well. But I am happy with what I have in front of me to start off with. With comments from the inspector from OLD/ISR like"Perfect Hunter"type conformation and a hind end built for jumping :)
Escapade won't work for every mare, no ones stallion will. I have used Escapade on two different TB mares and have been very pleased. Last years filly sold to a young girl who has never raised a baby before. She couldn't be more please with the disposition of this filly and her willingness to accept new things. She like anyone else that invest in foal, and hopes that it translate to her U/S training and ride-ability. I have bred both mares back to Escapade for 2011 foals.
There are many nice stallions out there. It's up to you (as the breeder) to pick which you feel you have the best chances of producing what your end breeding goals are.
Good Luck with your mare:)
Here is our filly from this year.

florida foxhunter
Sep. 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
I'll attach a few photos of Claim to Fame offspring..Exclaimation is owned by an older adult who adores and shows him in southern VA...(the first photo)
Make a Claim just won division at the Louden Horse Show, Lyrical is owned by another "older"adult amateur who adores riding her..and there are more our on website.
Claim to Fame has proven himself in conformation (winner at Devon, HITS Conformation, etc),performance and was ridden and shown by "Older" adult amateur me....I am also the one to collect him. You won't find a sweeter guy! His disposition matches his talent and his looks...!

(having trouble with the photos, but will try later...otherwise check out the website, sorry)

Justice
Sep. 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Here's a link to my Escapade filly out a Jupiter mare when she was coming two. I bought her because she reminded me so much of my Jupiter babies. She's got four months western world under saddle at this point, and moves to our barn next month. She's with a trainer who starts young warmbloods for a lot of people in Wellington and according to him I'll be happy. Fingers crossed. ChefJade's mom always says buying a baby horse is like going to Vegas.

I know Escapade doesn't have a big performance record, and I've never even seen him over a full course because I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I bought off the mare line and the foal itself, and thought the stallion's pictures were really pretty. It will be fun to see how the Escapade babies do. I think he was a good match for the Jupiter mare.

http://silvercreeksporthorses.com/video/estella.wmv

RugBug
Sep. 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
He sounds perfect but his website is less than informative. sheesh. I have yet to come across a stallion with so little marketing as him. But, am definitely intrigued enough to contact his farm. Thanks!

Also, googled him and found a few posts that he is a gentleman but could be a bit "hot" and needed flatwork (but no lunging) before shows.

Since I am breeding a TB mare, I do not need more hot! I want something that you have to wake up! hahahaha

My trainer has a Jupiter three year old out of a Telstar mare. The mare was considerably difficult to deal with...temperamental for sure. The 3 yr old, is quite sane. He's not scared of anything, was quite easy to break, etc. On the 19th he went in his first "show" doing 2 w/t classes and 3 w/t/c classes with a good ammie rider with only 90 days under saddle. There were 12 horses in a medium size ring and he was better behaved than many "packers."

I can't tell you if it's the Jupiter coming out in him or just a function of how my trainer has brought him up (he's been ponied from a very early age and exposed to A LOT) but he's very sane and easy.

Phenotype he's a carbon copy of the mare...except he's got a MUCH better head. Jupiter definitely improved movement though...as the mare was a sewing machine and son has a quite a nice trot and good canter.

Edited to add: Donarweiss. I know you asked for proven, but this horse is one to look at, IMO. He's showing dressage, but his sire DeNiro is known to throw hunter types (very nice ones). Donarweiss is only 16.1/2H...so not the giants that you usually see. http://www.greengatestud.com/wp/stallions/donarweiss/ You've got to look past the dressage, but he's quite nice.

SunFire Farm
Sep. 30, 2010, 04:27 PM
If you want one that is "born broke" so to speak, look at Escapade.

Absolutely. You said that you don't require "Bling" but Escapade fits your description.... and I can personally say that he puts a fantastic temperament on his foals and also throws that daisy-cutter hunter-trot. I bred him to a jumper (VERY strong jumper lines) and got a colt with a hunter-trot. When we started him, it was as if he were already broke.... no complaint, nervousness, refusal, stubbornness or spook. We later bred Escapade to a hot dressage bred mare and got a level-headed filly with a hunter-trot (coming two, so not yet started u/s). Both foals are improvements on the Dams, and both Dams were very well bred. I have also noticed that once breeders have one Escapade foal... they tend to go back for more. That has to say something..... :yes:

I know Escapade doesn't have a big performance record, and I've never even seen him over a full course because I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

I live close enough to get to see him show occasionally.... he's extremely impressive in person. I saw him at his Oldenburg Stallion presentation, and the inspector actually said he wished he could give a score just for temperament.... because he was such a gentleman. If your looking for a "sire" look at EVERYTHING that Escapade's foals are winning. They are everywhere.

If you would like to see my colt out of the jumper, search for Embrace on Facebook.

alliekat
Oct. 1, 2010, 11:09 AM
I love Embrace!!!

MsRidiculous
Oct. 1, 2010, 01:19 PM
I just noticed that others on this thread mentioned Westporte. FWIW I own a 3yo by him and a very good friend owns a 4yo. Both of them are under saddle. I bred mine myself so I have a very good idea of what she is like versus what her dam was like. I am always happy to discuss our Westportes and share pictures/video with people via PM who are interested in him. We are very happy with ours but that does not mean he's necessarily what everyone is looking for/needs. He meets some of your criteria but not all of it.