PDA

View Full Version : please refresh my memory- what classes are appropriate for us?

skip916
Sep. 23, 2010, 04:39 PM
I grew up showing hunters but have been eventing for a while now. I think my new mare may benefit from some low-key hunter/jumper schooling shows to get her more accustomed to jumping IN the ring- she much prefers XC and currently gets quite nervous during the showjumping phase at an event.

She has quite a nice jump and is very cute and clean over fences. She is large 17h and has a big stride, SO, help me decide where to put her for her benefit!

I was looking at a prizelist for a local show series and am trying to decide between:
1. equitation o/f 2'6"
2. modified hunter (huh?) o/f 2'6"
3. schooling hunter o/f 2'6"

there is a green hunter division which makes sense for her since she learned to jump in feb. and has little show experience but the fences are only 18'- which she sort of scoffs at.

if you need to see pics to help decide- there are a few pics of us schooling if you click on the link that says jazz in my sig line. please excuse the red face- she was my third ride of the day and it was HOTT!

The Centaurian
Sep. 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
What a cutie!

I'm sure you will do great, no matter what division you enter. I wonder why you haven't chosen any jumper classes though.

Big_Grey_hunter
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
Schooling hunter (at least at my local shows) is just one class, designed as a 'practice' run before you do your division. 'Modified' totally depends on the show, but usually its open to pretty much anyone, and is a fairly simple, welcoming course with easy strides and such for novice riders and/or green horses. If the program doesn't explain the division, ask!

meupatdoes
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:24 PM
Of the divisions you listed, I would think the equitation would have questions that are most similar to the showjumping you hope to eventually do in your eventing pursuits. The course should have more turns and be a bit more technical than singles up the quarterline and lines.

The jumps may also be more showjumpy (striped rails, woo!), provided they are using different rings and not just putting the eq riders over the same hunter jumps in a different order.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
I certainly would not scoff at the 18" jumps because you are not going to the show to demonstrate her ability or win ribbons. You [say you] are going to the show to get her into a ring, under competitive conditions and teach your horse to relax and listen. The jumps are merely speed bumps to guide her around the ring following a certain path.

So, I would opt for the green hunters. Since she has only been jumping for 7 months (IMHO, she should still be in a ring learning her trade and form and attitude.) But, since she is already going cross country before she has become really ridable, you now have to backtrack and make her ridable.

The best way to make her ridable is to do flatwork. So the lowest jumps possible will allow you to concentrate on her balance and rhythm between the jumps and around the corners. Hell, if the show starts with a long stirrup or an all ages crossrail division, go in that! If she gets scared and quick, you can bring her back to the trot and just trot the jump.

You need to be honest with your goals, though. You can go to school her and give her a learning experience and teach her that a course in a ring is not scary, or you can go to a horse show to try to show off her abilities and win ribbons.

It sounds like she needs the former 10x as much as she needs the latter, so you should pick your classes and ride your courses entirely with the idea of training her, not winning, in mind.

Ray
Sep. 23, 2010, 09:32 PM
first show: green hunter division and modified hunters. latter is just ammies.
scoffing is great, let her cruise around and build her confidence, you did say she gets a bit nervous. second show, both 2'6" hunter divisons. third show, mod hunters and the Eq. Eq classes are closer to what you would see in eventing, sometimes more technical, although not usually at 2'6".

have fun!

skip916
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:45 AM
i think ya'll may have misinterpreted why i said that she "scoffs" or perhaps that wasn't the correct word choice on my part.

when the jumps are 18" or less, shes doesn't even jump them, just canters over them unless i set it up as a gymnastics exercise- so since the hunter shows tend to be judged based on form and strides and an aesthetically pleasing look rather than the just "get over them within the time and don't knock anything down" requirements of eventing show jumping rounds- it would seem to be a waste of money to enter those classes- also smaller jumps and crossrails are what we work on at home coupled with TONS of flatwork and it's not something i would ever find in a show situation in eventing- so that's also why i was hesitant to do the green hunter division- she doesn't get "up" until the jumps require her to use herself.

@ lordhelpus- i assure you she is quite "rideable" and didn't learn to jump until february because i spent the first three months i had her doing purely flatwork, trot poles and tiny gymnastics both in hand and undersaddle- she also now only gets jumped one time per week so she is in no way overfaced or undertrained. my goal is not to win ribbons, it is to expose her to more "in the ring" experiences over fences similar to what she will find in eventing since we do not have an arena at home (she is ridden in our field) which is why she is more comfortable and adjustable xc. also, there, i have the opportunity to ride her to each fence with a much wider range of options and paths than i do when riding an arena course, so again, this is why i want her to have more experience on those types of courses where her options are limited and she and i must constantly be thinking of the next fence and adjusting ourselves in accordance with it. IMHO, providing a green horse with a wide range of experiences both inside and outside the arena makes for a much more well rounded mount and taking a green horse schooling xc is a perfectly natural progression of training and is often much more conducive to making them comfortable over fences than training purely over arena courses. i do agree that the basics must be solid, which is why we spent months using trot and canter poles and small cavaletti before she was asked to jump a single fence.

@ ray and meupatdoes: thanks so much for your suggestions about the eq. classes- i think we will find some good technical questions there that will be similar to eventing courses and i hope she will enjoy them more after more experience! she is very willing now, but just seems to spend the majority of our time in the arena saying to me "mom, what exactly do you expect of me here?" so i hope to be able to answer her question with these shows!

@ the centaurian- there aren't any jumper classes offered at this show :( and i didn't want to feel "timed" yet since that changes how aggressively i ride (i know myself, and i can't ignore a timer) so i don't want her to feel me riding "under pressure" so to speak just yet. i really want her to be able to enjoy herself.

joiedevie99
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
She's super cute! Assuming your an amateur, all those classes at 2'6" should be fine. Equitation is usualy not open to pros (although your local shows may be different). Schooling hunter is where pros will usually ride to warm-up a horse for a kid or put miles on a real greenie- but that too can vary by circuit. If there are no jumper classes at the show, I would bet that the only difference in the equitation course will be the addition of a roll-back or bending line on the course, and possibly a single fence. Have fun!

Trixie
Sep. 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
An eq course will be most similar to an eventing show jumping course.

Those two hunter divisions will be basically the same. Probably something along the lines of outside, diagonal, outside, diagonal at 2'6". Since they're unrated, different show series have different requirements for "schooling" versus "modified" so just make sure you're in the right place according to the prize list and you should be fine.