PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used saddle?

MMacallister
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:27 PM
I am in the market for a new to me saddle (read used). I have looked at things like craigslist, va equestrian and also at tack shops that have used saddles available.
Most of the tack shops have a return policy if the saddle doesn't fit my horse, but I am wondering how many private sellers are willing to do the same?
So has anyone here bought or sold a saddle privately? What was your policy if you were selling, and what policy were you given if you were buying?

Thanks,
Michele

naters
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Bits And Barter board has a few members who will let you try their sadles... see link below... but it really varies from person to person.

kinnip
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm a buy and sell eBay junkie, so it's strictly no returns. If I were selling a saddle to someone I knew, I'd allow for a trial, but probably not a total stranger. If you bought it on Craigslist, you can sell it on Craigslist. There are some good online shops with trial policies, but you have to pay for shipping both ways. I like Pelham a lot. They're very friendly and helpful. They'll go measure a saddle for you. Trumbull Mtn. is good too. You can send a wither tracing and they'll help you select a saddle from their used inventory.

johnnysauntie
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
I've sold numerous saddles on eBay. I provide tons of pictures and accurate size info. My goal is to ensure the buyers have all the info they could possibly need. But all sales are final. I'm not a pro - I just use ebay to get rid of extra stuff. I don't want to mess around with shipping saddles back and forth - in addition to time and risk, most English saddles cost about $40 to ship each way. I guess the good news is that most sales on ebay result in the buyer getting a good price - if it doesn't fit, it could always be sold again.

clairdelune
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Michele,
There are quite a few sellers on Ebay that have a trial period for used saddles.
Just off the top of my head : Skylands saddlery offers a trial period and I think Pinnacle saddlery also offer one. Skylands saddlery also have an actual store and they are very helpful.
Try Tacktrader.com also as some family run stores offer saddles for sale on the site with a trial period.
I think you just need to make sure the trial period is a realistic time to actually try the saddle, and get it returned in the time frame they give before it is too late and you end up with a saddle that is unsuitable.
Hope this helps.:)

TimelyImpulse
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
Depending on where the buyer lives, I've let a saddle go out for a few days, but they need to pay for it up front. What are you looking for? I'm not a dealer, but I've got several saddles that don't fit my current horses and that I have no attachment to. PM me if you're interested... I'm in Stafford, VA.

PinkPonies
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:41 PM
I've done both. Whenever I've sold saddles online privately, I've given a 1 week trial/return policy, but I required the buyer to - pay for the saddle in full and cover the cost of shipping, including return shipping. I've sold two used saddles and both times were great experiences. Now, with you as the buyer, someone could take the money and run and refuse to refund the saddle, and that is the risk you take. Buying from a reputable person on Ebay or something will lower the risk, but it is still there.

I also bought one used, which I also had a trial on - but that was through a tack store so it was a little different.

Spud&Saf
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
Try usedsaddles.com.

They have a trial period available. I have used them before and had a good experience.

STA
Sep. 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
I have a consignment shop and have let several people try saddles for a week or two. Every saddle has been returned cleaned and in good condition or SOLD. Ask if you can try a saddle you might be surprised.

Langfuhr
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:28 PM
Patricia @ fine-used-saddles.com She truly goes above and beyond to help you find a saddle and her selection is superb

indygirl2560
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
all the saddles I've owned, I bought used. I'm selling a saddle on ebay and I sold my delgrange on ebay and I won't accept returns. Now if someone near me wanted to try the saddle, I would allow a trial with a contract and full payment just in case the saddle gets damaged.

Across Sicily
Sep. 24, 2010, 12:36 AM
Now if someone near me wanted to try the saddle, I would allow a trial with a contract and full payment just in case the saddle gets damaged.

Same here.

I have a saddle for sale at the moment; it's in a few places (national and regional). Regionally I am allowing for a trial, because it's easy (we're talking really small region here!) to drive the thing around and physically watch them use it. If it leaves my sight and/or they want a day or two's trial they give me the full price of the saddle before it goes on its merry way.

Guin
Sep. 24, 2010, 08:09 AM
I've sold numerous saddles on eBay. I provide tons of pictures and accurate size info. My goal is to ensure the buyers have all the info they could possibly need. But all sales are final. I'm not a pro - I just use ebay to get rid of extra stuff. I don't want to mess around with shipping saddles back and forth - in addition to time and risk, most English saddles cost about $40 to ship each way. I guess the good news is that most sales on ebay result in the buyer getting a good price - if it doesn't fit, it could always be sold again.

:yes::yes::yes:

Rosie
Sep. 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
I agree with poster above that recommended Patricia @ fine-used-saddles.com
Knows her stuff. Very honest. Great selection or she will try to find what you are looking for.

gottagrey
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
Where are you in VA? If you are in the NoVA area I would suggest a trip to the Middleburg Tack Exchange or the Surrey. Both have pretty good selections of used saddles. And I know the Surrey has a very good trial policy for both new and used saddles. When I used to work in a tack store I would tell customers to figure a budget and consider ALL saddles w/in that price range. You might also try some of the saddlery companies like Beval as they might have a good trial/return policy. Have you looked at Ricks Saddlery in PA? That place usually has lots of used saddles as well..

unicorndreams21
Sep. 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
When I sell on ebay, I do not accept returns. If I sell locally and through craigslist, it depends. I have given a trial period of one week, I require full price paid before allowing saddle to leave & it must be in the same condition if returned after the trial.

clairdelune
Sep. 24, 2010, 04:51 PM
Yet another site : www.yoursaddles.com. I have bought 2 saddles from the owner of this site, she also has saddles on tacktrader.com.
The prices are so reasonable and there is a trial period.

MMacallister
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, they have been great. I should find my saddle real soon.

Michele