PDA

View Full Version : To The DIYers - How Much To Meet Trainer at Shows?

EAY
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
For those of you who do everything yourselves at A/AA shows (hauling, grooming, schooling, etc.) how much do you pay a trainer to work with you and do you usually pay per division or per day? Also, do any of you meet your trainer only at shows and not haul in for lessons (or do so only occasionally)?

I did a search but couldn't find anything that addressed this specifically but in case other threads do exist on this topic, I apologize.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
We trailer in to HITS every year and do the tacking up, grooming, schooling ourselves. Our trainer is great and only charges us a flat fee of $50/horse regardless of how many divisions they go in.

bazinga
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
I pay $75 for coaching a day, not per division.

I also ship in during the week for lessons when they are not stabling at the shows.

kdriding
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:45 AM
We pay $60 / day for coaching. That is for local and the "A" shows we attend.

ETA: this fee is a flat fee regardless of how many classes/divisions we do.

ponymom64
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
For our more local trainer, I pay $ 75 per show or lesson day at a show. In addition, she charges $ 10 per horse/per day if you stable with them but are not full service. I'm also responsible for our share of the splits.

We also show with a BNT who charges $ 150 per show or lesson day at the show. We've only met her at shows and not stabled with her, so I don't know what other fees might be charged. My feeling is that if we are doing all the work, we might be assessed a small fee to cover the set up and then all applicable splits but no day fees.

The DD takes lessons from the BNT 2x a week and the LNT once or twice a month due to scheduling conflicts.

Janet
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:51 AM
$75 to $150 per day.

sarcam02
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:05 AM
100 per kid per show per day

shawneeAcres
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't do the "A" shows with my students, but we do the "C" shows in NC, I charge a $25 per day fee for coaching/schooling a rider. Most of my student that haul in lesson with me fairly regularly altho there are a couple that don't and I would school them for the same fee.

Prima Donna
Sep. 23, 2010, 01:34 PM
In MD/VA:

$50 a day regardless of divisions, classes or rating of show. I trailer in for lessons occassionally but that doesn't seem to be a requirement.

JumperLove555
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
I recently went solo to a show under another trainer. She charged me $50 per day in addition to her hotel split with her other clients. This day fee covered any training and lessons during a given day.

Swale01
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:13 PM
$50 per day, but additional $$ if he gets on the horse (like a warm-up round or something.)

EAY
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
In MD/VA:

This is very helpful, including the state or region.

EAY
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
She charged me $50 per day in addition to her hotel split with her other clients.

Is it common to have to pay a hotel split if you're not stabling with your trainer or if you're trailering in for the day?

bazinga
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:22 PM
Is it common to have to pay a hotel split if you're not stabling with your trainer or if you're trailering in for the day?

I forgot to add I also pay their camper fee (split between everyone else)

In Ontario, Canada.

ponymom64
Sep. 23, 2010, 03:24 PM

I wouldn't think you'd pay the hotel split if you were only trailering in for one day....

We're in CT and trainers in Ct/NY

mvp
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:13 PM
$75 per day-- or the daily fee for coaching on their price list.

I don't recall getting charged for housing/splits. But see below in terms of some bartering.

I have had trainers who I stabled with who wanted my horse to be on some form of full care-- just so that the groom who worked for her could make enough by coming on the road. I get it, but we usually worked out a minimal day care fee that let him feed water and clean (even though I did that as often as not.)

This all worked because I tried to make myself useful I helped with set up and tear down. I did night check or AM feeding. They threw hay to mine or checked his water along with the rest. I bathed a client's horse when the groom was swamped. When I used the common tack hook to clean my stuff, I did the other tack while I was there. You get the idea.

And I did tip the groom based on what I had paid, whether or not I needed him. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

I have found that trainers are often happy to have a cheap but skilled client.

GrayCatFarm
Sep. 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
Iowa: $80/day flat fee regardless of number of classes. Split food/hotel with other persons attending the show with him. If he drove (I usually hauled) to meet us there, 50 cents per mile split with the others.

Lucassb
Sep. 23, 2010, 08:38 PM

Yes, it is common, and IMO, appropriate.

The hotel split is part of the trainer's expenses, shared among all clients that the trainer attends the show to assist. If the trainer is there helping you, then you pay for part of her cost to attend. Why should the other clients subsidize that expense for those who ship in?

This is separate from daycare, which the clients who stable with the trainer at the show will pay, and which covers not only her help, but her supervision of the care provided by her staff.

Nickelodian
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:37 PM
I've been a "haul in" for no less than 6 trainers over the last two years. I pick a show, then figure out who I'm going to ride with. My normal home trainer can't feasibly travel as much as I want to, as the rest of her clients show locally. I've paid anywhere from 25-55 per day.

I always check beforehand that I will not have to

a) split the tack/grooming/junk stalls
b) pay for a groom
c) pay any sort of day care fee (beyond training)
d) pay for any sort of set up or breakdown fee

If I have to I will stable elsewhere on the grounds just to avoid any confusion with the splits.

In order for me to show, this is the way I have to do it. I carry my tack out to my trailer each night, and tack up in my stall. I'm very careful not to use any of the tack stalls as...well I'm not paying for them.

In general as a haul in, I have not been a split on the trainer's hotel. But that varies by trainer, and I'm flexible as long as I understand my commitment ahead of time.

amt813
Sep. 25, 2010, 08:25 AM
I pay $75 a day for training in NJ. If its a show where we are stabled I also split the lodging fee for my trainer. However, at the one show where the barn stabled and I shipped in for a day I did not pay her lodging fees. I also regularly lesson with her.

AllOverFarm
Sep. 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
Nickelodian-I'm curious to hear your experience with regard to using so many various trainers. My 2 kids ride and their trainer only does the bigger "AA" shows. We are still more comfortable showing at the local level and I have had one other trainer school them at this show. I'm thinking of taking them to some other schooling shows and would have to find them a different trainers once again.
How are you treated by the trainer's regular customers at shows. If you have used 2 separate trainers at various shows and the next show they are both attending-how do you choose which one to use & what do you say to the other?

Lord Helpus
Sep. 26, 2010, 11:01 AM
In KY I trained with a BNT on a trailer in basis. At shows I did all my own work and was charged $100/day for being schooled on the days I rode.

On the days he rode my horse the the Pre Greens he charged me XXX/round.

I believe that both charges were 25% more than he charged his full training people.

mvp
Sep. 26, 2010, 02:25 PM
I've been a "haul in" for no less than 6 trainers over the last two years. I pick a show, then figure out who I'm going to ride with. My normal home trainer can't feasibly travel as much as I want to, as the rest of her clients show locally. I've paid anywhere from 25-55 per day.

I always check beforehand that I will not have to

a) split the tack/grooming/junk stalls
b) pay for a groom
c) pay any sort of day care fee (beyond training)
d) pay for any sort of set up or breakdown fee

If I have to I will stable elsewhere on the grounds just to avoid any confusion with the splits.

In order for me to show, this is the way I have to do it. I carry my tack out to my trailer each night, and tack up in my stall. I'm very careful not to use any of the tack stalls as...well I'm not paying for them.

In general as a haul in, I have not been a split on the trainer's hotel. But that varies by trainer, and I'm flexible as long as I understand my commitment ahead of time.

Good for you! It's great to see someone being pro-active about getting the help they need even if that means being a bit independent.

Great post, too. You explain what kinds of fees to ask about. Everyone can do something a little different and have reasons why. It's better to ask than to assume and then be disappointed.

Another good point: If you don't want day care and other splits for groom stalls, you must be *scrupulous* about not using those stalls or the grooms. No on-the-fly "just this once, just for a minute" deviations from that. It's not fair (especially to the hardworking grooms who can't easily say No), and to the trainer or other clients who did pay for those things. Be cool, be helpful and unobtrusive and you will feel welcome in that barn even if you are the visiting nomad.

DMK
Sep. 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
like everyone else, I pay the day rate, usually $60. If it is an away show, I'd expect to part of hotel, but it's not always billed. I also frequently show up with cash on hand - I'm not but a speck on the trainer's budget, but since they have a lot of financial outlay at a show but may not get paid until the next billing cycle, I figure some cash on hand is appreciated.

I also don't stable with the trainer I ride with. I figure its just easier for you - if you look like you are part of the set up, other clients wonder what the deal is and grooms may be uncertain if they need to do anything with your horse, so to me it just seems simpler for the trainer to be someplace else. I'll check in a few divisions before my division to see if the trainer has any expected ring conflicts and figure out whether I need to get myself in the early/middle/end and let her know, then I just text her on my way up to the ring.

Star Creek
Sep. 26, 2010, 07:25 PM
I keep my horses at home and meet my BNT at the horse shows. (Before I got my farm, I kept my horses at his barn.) I pay $60 a day for his help with my warm ups before classes and, if he has time and doesn't have a ring conflict with one of his full-time clients' horses, he'll watch my round and give me suggestions afterward. If I have a lesson on a non-showing day, that's another $80 and additional if he rides one of my horses. I know that I am paying only a small fraction of what his full-time clients are, so I do everything I can to respect his time and not get in the way of his working with his full-time clients. If there is a ring conflict, I know I don't take priority. I am just really thankful to have his exceptionally high quality help whenever it works in his schedule.

Like the other posters here, I wouldn't think about using any of his gear or supplies and certainly wouldn't ask for help from any of the farm's grooms. I am also careful to arrange for my horses' stalls to be in a separate location at the shows and don't do any R&R in his barn's tent. I try too, as my time allows, to help him at the in gates or schooling areas, holding horses, etc. It's helpful to him and I learn a lot :)

Nickelodian
Sep. 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
AllOverTheFarm - I kind of ride with different trainers in a hierarchy.

1. My home trainer - If she's available
2. The closest trainer to my stable (have had a few haul in lessons with her, and have known her most of my life)
3. Another trainer also in my area, but much further away
4. Another trainer in another city
5. An out of state trainer.

So far I haven't run into much jealousy or hard feelings. Perhaps b/c I am such a nobody they don't really care, or perhaps its b/c my budget is so small they also don't really care. Either way, I do what I feel is best for my horse, me, and my pocket book.

I've run into no problems with the trainer's other clients. I just try to stay out of the way, and also be friendly. If for some reason I have to use a groom's help (unload my trunk, hold my horse to get on, etc), I will tip that groom directly. Mostly I just try to avoid it all together. Sometimes its really just easier to stable somewhere not near the "group" as my area might not be gear free (no tack stall to keep all my junk) and might not meet the trainer's standards.