PDA

View Full Version : Rule change or trend for prize money?

chillydc
Sep. 22, 2010, 04:28 PM
I have noticed that most of the shows around me are spitting the prize money in the M&S ch/ad classics up as follows: 1st:$200 and then 2-8: $185, rather then having the winner get about half the prize ($300-500) money with decreasing money on down the line, with the last ribbon winner getting about $50. Is this a trend or a new rule? Someone said that now they have to have enough money to give the last place horse their entry fee back? I looked at some prize lists from other areas that still had the traditional prize distribution, so I am curious. I am not arguing one way or the other is better, just curious if this is going to be the new norm in some classes. Sorry if this has been addressed before, I did not see it anywhere.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
I am not sure, but I think it depends on how much the prize money is. I have noticed for a 1500 class, ribbons may be given to 8th or 10th place, but only prize money to 6th place. And not until the prize money is 2500 or 3K will you get money for up to 8th place.

But I don't recall ever seeing the first place rider getting half the prize money.

Roxy SM
Sep. 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
It used to seem that the winner would get about 1/3 of the total prize money, but now it seems they get less than 1/3. I have never seen the winner get as much as half.

flyracing
Sep. 22, 2010, 08:46 PM
Normal first place is 30% but some as low as 20%. What I see as abnormal in the OP is that 2-8th all get the same prize money and only $15 less than first. I guess they have problem filling the class so they said something like "don't worry if your only so-so, come in 8th and you make the same money as 2nd!"

danceronice
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:52 AM
I would think it would be reasonable to have to give the last money-placing finisher at least enough to earn back the entry fee.

LeeB10
Sep. 23, 2010, 10:58 AM
I would think this split would discourage participation. Typically first gets 30% and second gets 20%. What would be the point of doing a classic if you are just going to get your money back for winning. Better to do pro classes at that point. Better pay back for your money.

LeeB10
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:03 AM
From the USEF rules:

1. In all classes offering more than $500 in prize money:
a. the last place must at least equal the start fee.
b. money places must be awarded on the basis of one place for every five commenced
starters. The original prize moneys must be distributed as printed in the prize list. If
additional prize money is necessary, the money awarded to each place must at least
equal the starting fee

I guess you would have to have 1st - 8th if you had more than 30 participants but if you have fewer I don't know why they would spread the money to 8th - around here it you get ribbons to 8th but money to 6th.

Janet
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:04 AM
For HUNTERS There is a rule (new for 2010), that says

HU112.3. Prize money in all rated classes at all licensed competitions must be distributed as follows:
a minimum of 30% for 1st, 22% for 2nd, 15% for 3rd, with the balance to be distributed
at competition management's discretion.

For JUMPERS, there is a modified rule for 2010

JP108 Prize Money.
1. In all classes offering more than $500 in prize money:
a. the last place must at least equal the start fee.
b. money places must be awarded on the basis of one place for every five commenced
starters. The original prize moneys must be distributed as printed in the prize list. If
additional prize money is necessary, the money awarded to each place must at least
equal the starting fee.

LeeB10
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
There is a rule (newfor 2010), that says

Isn't that for hunters though?

Wouldn't the rules under USEF JP108 Prize Money be the ones that apply to jumpers?

Janet
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
Isn't that for hunters though?

Wouldn't the rules under USEF JP108 Prize Money be the ones that apply to jumpers?
Yes, I modified my post almost immediately to fix that.

chillydc
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks Janet!

LeeB10
Sep. 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
And for the life of me I don't understand why the change. The change is silly.