PDA

View Full Version : Brown saddle, Brown bridle?

PassagePrincess
Sep. 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
Since apparently brown is coming back in style, do you have a brown dressage bridle to match the brown dressage saddle? I think I am in love with brown!

Wayside
Sep. 21, 2010, 06:35 PM
Yes, but both of them are old enough that they were fashionable the last time brown was in style :lol:

ginger708
Sep. 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
I do but as wayside said they are old enough to have been around the first time people liked brown. My bridle and saddle are from my trainer.

PassagePrincess
Sep. 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hahaha I love nice old stuff that lasts!

Pasha
Sep. 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
When you're riding at home it doesn't matter, but for a show I like to see matching tack. It is hard to find brown dressage bridles but they are out there! Oh, I just love brown tack on a nicely turned out horse... there's something very classic about the look.

connieg10
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:18 PM
I LOVE Trilogy saddles because they allow you to select the color and style of the leathers they use on their saddles.

I was just at a show this weekend and they had a brown and black saddle. Seat was brown, but almost everything else was black. A saddle like that is perfect because you can use a black or brown bridle.

paintlady
Sep. 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
When I had a brown Albion dressage saddle (sold because it didn't fit my horse), I matched it with this Bobby's dressage bridle in brown.

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=320

I wish I could have found another used brown Albion, but I had to settle for a black one.

esdressage
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:11 PM
I love brown tack! Used to have a matching brown saddle and bridle that I used on my bay and the look was classic and gorgeous (no bling, just simple and elegant)… this was in the 90's and I sold the tack with the horse eventually. I miss both the tack and the horse!

War Admiral
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, but both of them are old enough that they were fashionable the last time brown was in style :lol:

Same!! :)

BenNevis
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
Seriously, if the color of your tack is your biggest concern, you're doing very well.

quietann
Sep. 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
Maresy's bridle is dark brown and from Jerry's Harness Shop (yes, maresy is spoiled.) Right now I have a black saddle, but at some point in the future, if she comes sound, there's a brown saddle in our future.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 21, 2010, 11:36 PM
I match.

That is my one concession to DQness.

Well, actually, it's from my old, old, ancient history, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, concession to hunterdom. I *prefer* if the actual SHADE match. IE: chestnut saddle, chestnut bridle... black saddle, black bridle, havanna saddle, havanna bridle, etc.

AND the above is based on what flatters the horse. Do you know how HARD it is to find CHESTNUT dressage saddles? (Because the bridle looks good on chetty w/flaxen... :uhoh: :rolleyes: :lol: )

It took me the better part of 5 years to get the chestnut rolled double for himself. :lol: :dead: THANK GOD the Heir Apparent(tm) is of the same hue, and will inherit Da's tack.

You DO NOT have to. At the last World Cup there were at least 2 folks I saw on video on the 'net (i.e. BNT's) who had a brown bridle and black saddle.

HONESTLY, in all my years of scribing, not ONE judge has noticed, not to mention commented.

It is sheer VANITY on my part which makes me want to match. Or I could get all lofty and claim aesthetics... :uhoh: :winkgrin:

n2dressage
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Yes of course! It is like matching your shoes to your belt! When I become a millionaire/billionaire... I will have a brown Pikeur Epsom coat to go with my new (i have these already) Cavallo Grand Prix Plus boots in mocha brown and I will wear a mocha hat and cream breeches, gloves, and saddle pad. My horse, of course, will wear a dark brown saddle and bridle. I foresee my horse being liver chestnut (or dunkelfox as its called here in Germany) with lots of chrome. :D I think we'll be stunning!

see u at x
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
I adore brown tack. If I didn't have buckskins, I'd be all about the brown tack for dressage. Black really does look better on them, though. And at least I can have some fun with the saddle pads. :) My newest obsession, however, are plaited/braided reins; must get some for every bridle! I guess this is another good reason to continue competing in hunters, too...at least I can get my brown tack fix there.

kinnip
Sep. 23, 2010, 05:52 PM
Love brown tack too. I'm selling my brown Prestige, it just won't fit. I did get a brown bridle, but used a black girth and leathers. The brown was quite dark though, so the black didn't really stand out.

coco21
Sep. 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
Would you guys use brown tack on a black horse? It's just so much black with all the black tack, black coat, black boots, black horse. I thought a navy blue coat would look nice though.

frisky
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
I think brown tack would look really smart on a black horse!

I have a brown schleese and a brown *raised* jerry's bridle. I like it quite a bit. I have a grey horse with flea bites. I didn't think it would look good at first (didn't buy the saddle for this horse), but I grew to love it.

poltroon
Sep. 25, 2010, 12:57 PM
When I bought my brown saddle, I found lots of pictures of FEI riders in brown saddles and black bridles. It really looks fine and no judge will care. Do what makes you happy.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 25, 2010, 03:25 PM
I have brown bridles to go with my brown saddle, but both of my horses are chestnut. Well, one is very slowly going grey, and he's currently champagne-colored. But black wouldn't look great on either of them.

I do use black stirrup leathers because they blend in with my boots, bit I have a brown girth. They are very hard to find, and since I kinda need another one I am probably going to get black.