View Full Version : Dressage Simulator - anyone experienced one first hand?

Sep. 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hi All.

I am incredibly intrigued by the Dressage Simulator by Racewood. I would love to try one, but to my knowledge there is not one local to me. Has anyone experienced the dressage simulator first hand? Was it worth the experience?

For clarity - this is what I am talking about: http://www.racewood.com/dressage.php

Sep. 21, 2010, 12:38 PM
YES! There is one in San Diego called LuLu The Riding Simulator. The instructor is fabulous and it is an excellent way to work on your straightness or your seat without having to worry about the horse.

The one on this website is more like a video game. I tried it at the Equine Affaire and didn't really like it. It can also be used without the screen.

Sep. 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, now that is cool! I wish there was one of those around to try.

There is a tack shop near the King of Prussia mall in PA, called Horseatack. They have the cantering one and its very cool! You can test ride the saddles on it. No dressage just a canter but it was fun. You have to sign a waiver and wear a helmet!

Sep. 21, 2010, 07:08 PM
There is one for cutting and top cutters have said it feels just like a real horse.
It works back and forth in a semi circle and cuts that calf in front of it, that also moves back and forth:

Sep. 22, 2010, 03:41 AM
I have tried it, and it was entertaining to learn my aids weren't quite matching with the sensors:) Could not figure out if it was me or the simulator - the regular horses seem to understand my aids better:)

Sep. 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
I have taken lessons on a riding simulator and I loved it! I worked on the sitting trot, half halts, transitioning from the various gaits and sitting the trot without stirrups. I really liked how the instructor could immediately tell I was gripping the "horse's" sides too tightly. This was especially evidenced by the fact that when she stopped controlling the sensors, I repeatedly made the horse gallop due to my too tight legs. While a pro once told me he sat on one and could ride it backwards, I highly recommend the riding simulator. There are several in California, as Barbro Ask-Upmark is a distributor. Her site is http://www.alwaysagoodride.com/

Her site also has 3 video You Tube clips.

Sep. 22, 2010, 10:20 PM
I had a lesson on the dressage simulator "Luke". I had no problems with the canter, but did have flapping legs which got me a medium trot I couldn't sit several times :) The lesson was very revealing about rider weaknesses and habits - some of which come from riding a real horse with its own weaknesses and habits. (and some of which are just mine!)

Definitely helpful and gave me a lot to think about on the real horse.

Sep. 23, 2010, 10:12 AM
I'll be in San Francisco (and I may go over and look at UC Davis)...are their any places to take a lesson on a simulator near where I'll be? Thanks!

Sep. 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
Have not been on one but I'm with you...THAT'S the one I want to lesson on!!! If I had one at home I would never get anything done!!

Sep. 23, 2010, 04:34 PM
Colleen Reid at Equine Sports Complex has a simulator. I have taken lessons from her. She's very patient and has a good eye. Sacramento isn't far from Davis.

Sacramento, "Simon":
Equine Sports Complex, 4252 Mason Lane, Sacramento, CA 9582
Tel: 916-481-9003, e-mail: eqsport(at)comcast.net

Sep. 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
Seconding the recommendation for Colleen Reid.

Sep. 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you! :)