PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddles with cushy seats?

Trigger
Sep. 21, 2010, 07:49 AM
Looking for suggestions for saddles known for very comfortable seats. I have ridden in two that I really liked belonging to other people, a Schleese and a Devoucoux that felt wonderful. I like soft padding and no hard parts poking at me anywhere! I realize that this is a bit of a personal thing (what pokes one person might not bother another) but hoping I can be steered in the drection of brands known for comfort.

dressagedevon
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:28 AM
I too like the cushy seats and Scheelse is very nice, I also own and really like the Cardinal (hard to find) and the euroriding titan II, both have deep seats and both have kinda of like a temperpedic material in the seat area. Very cushy!

high hat
Sep. 21, 2010, 09:25 AM
If you decide to go the Schleese route you should know that only their more recent saddles have the plush seats. The ones from several years ago even if they had padding added are not that nice. This from someone that owns several. :winkgrin:

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
I have really sensitive seat bones and my dressage saddle is a Prestige. My jumping saddle is Stubben but I had to get the Biomex seat as the seat was rock hard otherwise!

paintlady
Sep. 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
I loved my Albion Original Comfort. Unfortunately, it didn't fir my mare. I now have an Albion SLK. It's comfy, but not as comfy as the Original Comfort model.

whicker
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
black country has a comfortable seat. Now Patty Merli has 3 of my black country prototypes with a "double" seat. These are designed for no pressure points for someone with back/SI issues. They won't be full price either.:winkgrin:

Valentina_32926
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:05 AM
Both my Verhans (older and 2010 model) are very cmfortable in the seat as is my old Barnsby AVG saddle.

connieg10
Sep. 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
Both Custom and Trilogy have nice cushy saddles. I recently went to an event and sat in a bunch of saddles at both booths and I was really impressed. Additionally a new saddle by Custom or by Trilogy is about 3000 - 3500 which is a lot cheaper than many other big name brands.

I ride in an Amerigo and I love it, but I would take a couple of those saddles I sat in this weekend in a heartbeat!

esdressage
Sep. 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
Both Custom and Trilogy have nice cushy saddles.

Trilogy saddles are amazingly comfy! I don't have the pleasure of owning one myself, but somebody I used to board with did and I was in love with it. If they are within your budget, I would definitely suggest including it in your list of saddles to try.

ETA - for schooling, have you considered a sheepskin seat cover? There are debates about whether it's counterproductive, since you can't show in one, but I think they're heavenly to ride in.

ThreeFigs
Sep. 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
Prestige 2000D and one of the newer model Albions (Ultium? Ultra? Oh, my aging brain!) that students own are two of the cushier saddles I've ridden in lately.

Calhoun
Sep. 21, 2010, 05:42 PM
my old Barnsby AVG saddle.

My Barnsby AVG is very comfy.

Pasha
Sep. 21, 2010, 06:19 PM
I agree with the Trilogy suggestion. Also I want to say I rode in an older Miller Klimke saddle that was rather cushy but I can't remember for sure.

arabiansrock
Sep. 21, 2010, 06:38 PM
cheap option since most mentioned are higher priced - M. Toulouse. Very comfy seats and grippy leather.

Also my thorowgood t4 and Fairfax dressage are quite comfy and soft. the t4 would be the cheapest option, Fairfax would be considered a mid-priced option.

Perfect Pony
Sep. 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
I agree with the Trilogy suggestion.

Another agreement. I will never ride in anything else. It not only completely fixed most of my position flaws, it has the most comfortable seat! And with 3 saddles with radically different twist widths, they fit a lot of people.

The additional good news is I heard they are going to start offering other block configurations as well, that is the only complaint I have heard about them.

goodpony
Sep. 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Devoucoux--super comfy with a narrow twist.

buck22
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
I too like the cushy seats and Scheelse is very nice, I also own and really like the Cardinal (hard to find)
I'll second a cardinal, how lovely to ride. Spalding is wonderfully soft and supportive in the seat as well.

the most marshmallowy cuddly squishy bum-snuggly saddle I've ever ridden though is the bargain basement m toulouse aachen. How I wish that saddle fit my horse as I would've died happily in it. My heather moffet flexion runs a very close second, though a different feeling altogether being treeless.

Pocket Pony
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ditto the Prestige and Amerigo.

But make sure you sit in lots of them to find out what is best - I had a saddle with a narrow twist before the Prestige and thought it was great . . . until I had to do a lot of sitting trot and realized I couldn't really access my seatbones because the twist was so narrow my seatbones kind of just fell off the side of the saddle, if that makes sense.

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 22, 2010, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hijack but would you say that Prestige saddles have about a medium twist (I have an Optimax, but Prestige saddles in general)? I may be looking for a new saddle in the next year or so and was wondering what other saddles have a twist similar to Prestige (Schleese, Verhan, etc.)? Thanks :)

purplnurpl
Sep. 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
Looking for suggestions for saddles known for very comfortable seats. I have ridden in two that I really liked belonging to other people, a Schleese and a Devoucoux that felt wonderful. I like soft padding and no hard parts poking at me anywhere! I realize that this is a bit of a personal thing (what pokes one person might not bother another) but hoping I can be steered in the drection of brands known for comfort.

I tried an Arthur Kottas a few years back. It was waaaaaay cushy.
I had to send it back because It was like sitting on a mattress.

meupatdoes
Sep. 22, 2010, 01:29 PM
I personally think my Albion SLK is very comfortable.

I think you can even order it with extra cushion, but it snugs up the seat size a little to do so.

Trevelyan96
Sep. 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
Love my Frank Baines Elegance!

NJRider
Sep. 22, 2010, 04:14 PM
Any of the newer Kieffers that have the "excellent" seat.

TheHorseProblem
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:13 PM
I just bought a Lemke Buffalo Deluxe.

I LOFF it.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
The Barnsby I had was quite comfy, and my JP Giacomini by Lauriche is very soft as well.

Stacie
Sep. 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
black country has a comfortable seat. Now Patty Merli has 3 of my black country prototypes with a "double" seat. These are designed for no pressure points for someone with back/SI issues. They won't be full price either.:winkgrin:

Haha. Not anymore. Now she only has 2, cuz I have the third.

Jasper'sMom
Sep. 26, 2010, 03:34 PM
Love my Dominus, which is far less expensive than the Amerigo, but not dissimilar in feel (same saddle maker).

princessfluffybritches
Sep. 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
Cushy is great, but I'd still like to feel the horse, LOL.

whicker
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
Princess, you are just showing off that you have disc space and vertebrae that work!:winkgrin:

One still can feel the horse, just the shock is dampened, or the pressure points are relieved. You wouldn't expect your horse to go around with pressure sores, would you? Surely, as a rider who is in the saddle for the same time, you would consider how pain is going to affect you and your movement and disposition...

carolprudm
Sep. 27, 2010, 10:46 AM
Princess, you are just showing off that you have disc space and vertebrae that work!:winkgrin:

One still can feel the horse, just the shock is dampened, or the pressure points are relieved. You wouldn't expect your horse to go around with pressure sores, would you? Surely, as a rider who is in the saddle for the same time, you would consider how pain is going to affect you and your movement and disposition...
My butt is cushy enough

princessfluffybritches
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:46 PM

You are too funny! Those disc spaces and vertebrae of mine are surely going downhill fast, LOL.