PDA

View Full Version : If you only had three days a week to ride

Grace67
Sep. 19, 2010, 09:02 PM
and two of those were weekend days which other day would you ride? My work schedule is becoming more hectic and I can only include one weekday morning schooling session in addition to the weekend. Better to ride three days in a row and four off or ride a single ride during the middle of the week in addition to the weekends? My horse is on about an acre turnout 24/7 so not cooped up in a stall and our rides last 45 minutes to an hour of very low level dressage and occasionally hacking out across the pasture and vineyards.

mickeydoodle
Sep. 19, 2010, 10:53 PM
I am a physician and feel your pain about limited riding time. i personally, and my horse, find it better to ride three days in a row, as in fri, sat, sun or sat, sun,mon.

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 19, 2010, 11:34 PM
I agree with mickeydoodle

paintlady
Sep. 20, 2010, 06:11 AM
I also work full-time and can't make it out to the barn more than 3x per week. I typically ride Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday.

jawa
Sep. 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
I think it would depend on your horse. I think some do better with Wed Sat Sun schedule. But you may find Wed a total loss due to being a loon or lack of flexibility with no work for days in a row. On the other hand you may find your horse not enjoying the three day in a row, weekend warrior routine. If possible try a few weeks both ways.

Also, when setting up your schedule think about holidays if you get them off with work. Most state and federal holidays are on a Monday, if you get that day off and you ride Fri, you could end up with a bonus 4 day riding week once or twice a month.

SunsAfire
Sep. 20, 2010, 11:27 AM
I also agree that it depends on your ride together. And both of your personalities! I work 6 days a week, and crazy hours, and I try to go days throughout the week versus three consecutive days. But I can see how three consecutive days could be more constructive!

mbp
Sep. 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm getting ready to start up again and will only have about that amount of time. I'm shooting for Tues Sat Sun - I understand the sense of three days in a row, but in my life Fridays and Mondays (esp when Mons are holidays) too often get tied up in weekend activities so if I blow my weekend ride, I'll have blown all three days. Weds often have work related things that can make my day a wreck.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
I also work full-time and can't make it out to the barn more than 3x per week. I typically ride Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday.

That's my schedule too, simply b/c my work schedule allows that. I do try to get there a 4th day whenever I can, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

AnotherRound
Sep. 20, 2010, 01:08 PM
At this time in our development, I would choose three days in a row with my horse. I have seen him really improve and absorb our work when lessons are reinforced the next day. Also, his muscling and flexibility responds during these days. I think the positive feelings and encouraging sense I get from these sessions would be worth while for me to put them right together like that.

LShipley
Sep. 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have a lazy horse, and while i know many people advocate working several days in row, my mare is much happier to work when I ride every other day.

CHT
Sep. 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
I would likely go with a Thursday Sat, Sun schedule.

Thursday would be the day to get the sillyness out, then the horse has one day to recover physically, and then the weekend is to get down to work.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
I've heard that the "weekend warrior" scenario is not so good because horse begins to lose muscle mass after 48 hours. Seems to be implicated in tying up (Recurrent Exertional Rhabdomyolysis) too. So I'd do sat, Sun, Weds.

esdressage
Sep. 20, 2010, 03:18 PM
My mare gets grumpy if for some reason she's not worked with for several days in a row, so in your shoes I would do a mid-week ride, then the two weekend days. I really do think it depends on the horse.