PDA

View Full Version : Turnout blanket for Andalusian (or Baroque type)?

Marengo
Sep. 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm posting this in the dressage forum because more people likely have an Andalusian or similar type horse. I'm wondering which brands of turn-out blankets people have found fit their Andi horse? This question might apply to those with short coupled WBs as well, the type of horse I'm referring to has a wide barrel, wide shoulders with a high set neck (and lots of mane). I've gotten by so far with putting shoulder guards and swapping blankets regularly. Without doing this my horse gets shoulder and wither/mane rubs. It seems to be difficult to find a cut of blanket that accommodates a horse with broad shoulders and a high neck set. The Quarter Horse style cuts fit the shoulders but not the neck set.

Any suggestions? I'm also looking for a turn-out blanket to which a neck rug can be added or is already attached.

pluvinel
Sep. 19, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hate to be a party pooper, but there are very few (none that I've found) that fit a very upright head and neck. Rambos are the worst.

My stallion used to have a groove cut into the neck by the end of winter from his blanket.

I have an old Millers with a cut-back that fits, but it is getting in shreds.

ArabDiva
Sep. 19, 2010, 10:27 PM
Have you checked SStack.com?

I have an ArabxBelgian with a 32" long mane, upright build, and close-coupled back. People are always mistaking her for an Andalusian at shows.

Their StormShield blankets with the V-Free / cutback fit have always worked well for her. They have such an array of turnouts and specialize in Arabs --I would call and ask what they recommend.

Seal Harbor
Sep. 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Saddlebred cut fits these horses best. I'm a dealer for The Clothes Horse and when I send orders to Katrina for horse built like this she pulls out the Saddlebred pattern to make their custom clothes.

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 19, 2010, 11:13 PM
Have you checked SStack.com?
Their StormShield blankets with the V-Free / cutback fit have always worked well for her. They have such an array of turnouts and specialize in Arabs --I would call and ask what they recommend.

YESSSSS!!!!!!! My horse used to go through 3+ blankets a season. I bought a stormsheild over 5 years ago and it is still in like new condition. LOVE the belly band designs. no shoulder rubs. they just rule.

alto
Sep. 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
Glover makes amazing blankets & offers a "made to measurements" option
http://www.gloverequine.com/products.htm

xQHDQ
Sep. 20, 2010, 07:55 AM
I just bought a Turtle Neck for my Friesian/ASB cross. It looks like it fits but I won't know until the end of the season. The only concern I have is that it may rub his mane, but it looks like it stays off his shoulders and withers, which were my main (mane :) ) concerns.

NCSue
Sep. 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
My Iberian got a good fit with the StormShield also. I am probably going to order one for my draftie.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
I agree on the Scneider's Stormshield with the V-Free insert. There are a number of different styles and one is sure to fit. I used the Euro design on a Morgan last year and it was perfect.

Here's a link http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_turnouts/

Marengo
Sep. 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks all, I'll have a closer look at those suggestions.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
What a timely thread. My new Holsteiner mare basically looks like an Andi, and I am just trying to decide. The Turtle Neck had made it to the top of my list (and I just noticed that dover sells the sheet now), but I'll take another look at the Schneiders. I have a cotton sheet from Schneiders that's a few years old, but it didn't fit my TB anywhere, especially the shoulders.