PDA

View Full Version : Can my horses really need a 7 inch Bit?

danskbreeder
Sep. 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
So the bits I've been using, Sprenger Aurigan loose ring with the lozenge, seems to be too small. The ring is right at the edge of the lip. I just measured it and it measures 6 1/2. Now I know my horses are large but they're not gigantic they're just normal warmbloods. 17.1h. So I'm looking at the tack places and no one seems to carry bits any bigger than 6 1/2. What do I do?

Erica

octoberine
Sep. 19, 2010, 04:48 PM
Drafttack.com has a few snaffles that come in a 7, though they're mostly pretty basic. I find it hard to believe your guys need a bit that big unless their heads are HUGE, though. I ride a 19hh full Percheron (his head is practically bigger than I am) and a 7 inch bit is almost on the big side for him.

Marengo
Sep. 19, 2010, 06:47 PM
Perhaps a lot of the length of that particular bit is being used up in how the bit curves in your horses mouth. Take a rope, a string, a plastic tube, whatever and measure your horse's mouth. Find out how wide it is across, then you can try different bits. Perhaps a straight bar, mullen mouth at 6 1/2 in would fit your guy fine but the double jointed bit at 6 1/2 is too small because of how much it curves. Not saying you should use a mullen mouth but maybe a double jointed with the curving arms of the bit is not straight enough.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
Also, sometimes adjusting the bit one hole lower or higher makes a very big difference in how it sits.

If it's otherwise comfortable, you can use bit guards. They aren't common in dressage, but are quite common in other disciplines.

The curved bits like JP and Myler fit quite large for the measurement because of the curve. So it's quite possible a 6" Myler would have more room than a 6.5" HS KK.

ESG
Sep. 19, 2010, 10:40 PM
I once got a 6 1/2" Kimberwick for a 17.2h, 2200 lb Percheron mare. It looked like a swing, according to my friend who was there when I opened the package it was shipped in. I find it VERY difficult to believe that anything other than a purebred draft horse would have a need for a bit larger than 6". Perhaps a bit measurement guide is in order?

alto
Sep. 20, 2010, 12:26 AM
This site has articles on bit measuring & a copy of the Neue Schule bit measure available for download

http://www.horsebitbank.com/how-measure-your-bit.shtml

mbm
Sep. 20, 2010, 01:00 AM
my 16h WB mare wears a 6.25 - 6.5" bit.

so i wouldn't be surprised if your horse wore bigger one. :)