PDA

View Full Version : First Dressage Lesson - Success!

OneGrayPony
Sep. 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Just had my first dressage lesson with brand new trainer. I have to say - it was wonderful!

We had spoken about my severe confidence issues, and so everything was very slow and progressive. We worked on position on the ground at first, and then progressed to the longe. I was terribly worried at first that the horse was going to spook at something (isn't that funny? In an indoor *that's* what I was terrified of...but of course, she's a good lesson horse and didn't. By the end of the lesson, I was relaxed and we did a few circuits of posting trot. Amazing how imbalanced you can feel after not having ridden in quite awhile. She said I didn't look bad though, so that's reassuring that at least I'm not looking like some sort of curled up terrified monkey up there :)

All in all, I felt like we made some good progress - and even getting me back ON the horse was a tremendous success. I rode...something I haven't done seriously in quite awhile. And I felt good about it, if a bit unbalanced and out of shape.

So, thank you to everyone! I'm looking forward to my next lesson and cannot wait to get my own horses going again!

Wayside
Sep. 18, 2010, 01:26 PM
Awesome, congratulations!

kinnip
Sep. 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome back!

OneGrayPony
Sep. 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thank you!!! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I process things more, but it feels great to be back in the saddle!

stryder
Sep. 18, 2010, 07:53 PM
Good for you! I hope your next experience is just as much positive fun, and that you'll continue to build a new set of happy experiences.

StabledSolutions
Sep. 18, 2010, 11:42 PM
That is wonderful! Do you plan to get lessons frequently? I hope you enjoy all of them as you did this one. Good luck!

OneGrayPony
Sep. 19, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes, most certainly I will continue to have lessons frequently, particularly because I'm trying to work up the courage to ride the gray pony again. So it's a discipline-switch, therapeutic to conquer my severe fear issues after a series of bad falls in the last few years, and I'm just thrilled to be able to do it! :)

I wish I could take lessons every day, but that would be overkill now, wouldn't it *laughing*

I can't wait until we get the pony going again, because that *will* be like having lessons every day - once a week with the instructor and every day from the pony.