PDA

View Full Version : Thornhill Shannon Saddle?

GoForAGallop
Sep. 17, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a Thornhill Shannon dressage saddle....it's their "junior" model, although I believe that they make them in "adult" sizes as well.

Anyone seen one in person? I know that the other Thornhill models get rave reviews, but this seems to be more of a "budget" model? Worth it?

I've did a quick search here and through google, but couldn't find many reviews, positive OR negative.

clairdelune
Sep. 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
I nearly purchased one of Thornhill's budget saddles for my Daughter about a year ago, I cannot remember the model name but the was very cheap.
I was going to buy it from one of their agents and she told me she is ashamed to sell them as they are very poor quality imported leather, and I would be better off buying a used saddle.
I was buying over the phone so did not see the saddle in person but I trusted her judgement.
There are a lot of great saddles on Ebay at the moment that are selling way below what they are worth, and Tack Trader has some great prices too. I recently bought a Barnsby saddle from a seller on Tack Trader by the name of Patricia Murphy, she always has a lot of saddle's listed at great prices and her customer service is wonderful.

GoForAGallop
Sep. 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for that VERY HELPFUL information!! :) I do browse Ebay quite a bit, and actually have a gorgeous used saddle making it's way to me through the mail, but I found the deal on the new Shannon and said "Hmm, maybe I should check into that, since other models get such rave reviews."

Glad I did! I have a lovely Passier on my watch list right now that's at $150 with a day to go, so that baby may be coming to me!

clairdelune
Sep. 17, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm pleased I could help you. I did a search and you are right there are no reviews.
On Thornhill's website it states the Shannon is made in Pakistan and of Pakistan leather!! I don't think any amount of oiling or conditioning would make that saddle comfortable for you or your horse.
Good luck with the bidding.. try doing esnipe.com then you can bid right at the last couple of seconds of the auction ending.:)

Blue Domino
Sep. 17, 2010, 04:04 PM
The Thornhill Shannon is for children, it comes in a 14", 15" or 16" seat size, it's well enough made for a child to ride in.

It's funny that saddles made by muslims made in Pakistan you denigrate as inferior, but the saddles made by muslim immigrants in Europe, who are most of the poorly paid laborers doing the stitching for saddle work, you consider their work excellent because they do their work in Europe.

Great Britain has a HUGE Indian and Pakistani population, so the same Pakistani's sewing your saddle in Pakistan are not much different than the Pakistani's and Indians from India sewing your saddles in England, and
the muslim Turk immigrants sewing your saddles in Germany and Switzerland, and the muslim Algerian immigrants sewing your saddles in France.

I'd suspect Clairdelune wants you to buy an expensive saddle because she sells expensive saddles. I wouldn't take her word for it, I'd buy the Thornhill Shannon for my child.

GoForAGallop
Sep. 17, 2010, 04:09 PM
The Thornhill Shannon is for children, it comes in a 14", 15" or 16" seat size, it's well enough made for a child to ride in.

Well, I'm not a child, but I would hope that a children's saddle would be just as nice as an adults.

It's funny that saddles made by muslims made in Pakistan you denigrate as inferior, but the saddles made by muslim immigrants in Europe, who are most of the poorly paid laborers doing the stitching for saddle work, you consider their work excellent because they do their work in Europe.

I'd suspect Clairdelune wants you to buy an expensive saddle because she sells expensive saddles. I wouldn't take her word for it, I'd buy the Thornhill Shannon for my child.

I'm not quite sure where you got any sort of racist slur out of Clairdelune's post. It's a WELL KNOWN FACT that leather made and processed in the Middle East IS sub-par to English/French/German leather. It has NOTHING to do with who's making the saddles, don't be antagonistic for the sake of it.

And I didn't see Clairdelune pimping any particular brand, so I assumed she was just looking out for a fellow horse-person's pocketbook.

clairdelune
Sep. 17, 2010, 04:27 PM

Great Britain has a HUGE Indian and Pakistani population, so the same Pakistani's sewing your saddle in Pakistan are not much different than the Pakistani's and Indians from India sewing your saddles in England, and
the muslim Turk immigrants sewing your saddles in Germany and Switzerland, and the muslim Algerian immigrants sewing your saddles in France.

First I would like to make it clear that I do not sell saddles and was just telling the OP what I had been told when I was going to purchase the budget saddle from Thornhill.
Further more I'm from the UK, and have been to Pakistan,India and other third world countries on numerous occasions !! Do you think these saddles are made in pleasant working conditions ? NO they are not,they are not made by highly paid workers in air conditioned buildings !!
The working conditions in Germany, France and Switzerland are of course far more superior and an immigrant worker is treated the same way as a national.
And the reason the saddles are made in these countries is because they can use young labour (yes school age ) and pay them next to nothing.
The budget saddles are cheap, but I can guarantee the person who made that saddle was paid as much as what it costs to buy a hamburger in the US.
And the OP was looking to buy the saddle for herself and not a child.

Blue Domino
Sep. 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
Well I certainly hope the disgruntled employee working for Thornhill that tells the customers the merchandise is crap and they'd be better off to go buy a saddle someplace else.

Hope she finds a job where she can support the merchandise, cause no employer deserves an employee like that working for them.

The leather is different in the lower priced saddles, hides from hot climates tend to be more thin, and in the third world countries the tanning processes may not be as sophisticated, but one way to look at it, the thin leathers make for closer contact, you don't have all that thickness of leather between you and the horse.

The cost of the labor doing the cutting of the leather, the stitching together and assembling the saddle, that's what makes it less expensive than a European made saddle. Also, the tree in the less expensive saddles don't generally have the many years, or lifetime guarantee against breakage as the higher priced saddles do, you pay for the guarantee.

But if one is looking for a dressage saddle with a 14" 15" or 16" seat, then odds are they don't weigh enough to ever break a saddle tree under normal use.

Koniucha
Sep. 18, 2010, 12:44 PM
I am not sure about the quality of that saddle, but I can say that if you are patient and really look, you can find a great deal. I kep looking through Craigslist (I did it through a site that you can search all of them at once) and eventually found an older (1988) County Competitor in AWESOME condition for only $100. It fits me like a glove.

Blue Domino
Sep. 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
Congratulations on finding the $100.00 County Competitor. That is an
AWESOME find:)