PDA

View Full Version : PSA - Traffic Advisory for those coming to DSHB shows in GA this weekend

DownYonder
Sep. 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
GA DOT is doing construction and repaving on I-20 East of Atlanta.

I-20 Eastbound, Mile Marker 73-76 - 2 left lanes affected from 9:00 PM Friday Sep-17 to 5:00 AM Monday Sep-20.

This is from around Panola Road (just east of I-285) to just past Turner Hill Road. Traffic on this stretch was a nightmare last weekend, even at 7:30 in the morning. Both left lanes were closed and they were directing cars to use the shoulder, but tractor-trailers were straddling the one open lane and the shoulder and slowing everything down to a crawl. There were also literally HUNDREDS of dump trucks coming in from the right and trying to work their way over to the left lanes where the repaving was going on. Noise and fumes were horrendously obnoxious! BE SURE TO GET THROUGH HERE WELL BEFORE 9 PM FRIDAY, ESP. IF YOU ARE HAULING HORSES!

I-20 Westbound, Mile Marker 67.5-67 - 1 right lane affected from 9:00 PM Friday Sep-17 to 5:00 AM Sunday Sep-19.

I believe this is between Wesley Chapel Road and I-285. It will esp. affect those trying to go north on I-285 from I-20, but at least will only last until Sunday AM.

DownYonder
Sep. 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Bump!!

leilatigress
Sep. 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
Oh LOVELY!(sarcasm.) TY for posting this though as now those going can adjust accordingly.

acottongim
Sep. 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks!!! Figures! I have yet to come up to this show without getting stuck in traffic because of construction (in 6 years)... sigh. One day the roads will be PERFECT right? LOL

DMK
Sep. 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
around Atlanta? don't kid yourself. They just (I think) finished the connector. They are obviously working on I20. I'm sure as soon as they are done there it will be time to start the loop. It's the Circle of (paving) Life.

Those paving lane closures play hell with traffic and then they spawn accidents as well. It took us almost 2 hours to get from Conyers to Alpharetta coming home from the Derby earlier this summer. 1.5hrs for Conyers to Stone Mountain Hwy alone. So cranky just thinking about it.

DownYonder
Sep. 15, 2010, 10:12 AM
Also remember that depending on time of day, traffic back-ups can start well before the construction mile markers posted by DOT.

And don't forget about rush hour traffic outbound from Atlanta on Friday afternoon/evening. Your best bet is probably to try to arrive in Conyers before 4 pm so you will miss the worst of the traffic.

DownYonder
Sep. 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
Another tip - do not take Exit 82 (Hwy 20/138) from I-20 in Conyers. This is the main drag in Conyers and the one GIHP signs point you to, but traffic at that exit can be a huge PIA.

Take Exit 84 (Salem Road) instead - for those heading east on I-20, this is the next exit past Hwy 20/138. Get in the left lane on the exit ramp, and stay in that lane as you cross over I-20 (the r/h lane is a right turn only lane a block or so down the road). Go through two (I think) traffic lights past I-20, then through a small industrial park. When you come to a 4-way stop with a BP station on the corner, turn right. This is Gee's Mill Road. Follow it for several miles until you cross the Yellow River. Next intersection is Centennial Olympic Parkway, the main road for GIHP. Turn right and stay in r/h lane - it is a right turn only lane to the stabling area. Follow that road toward the barns and take the 2nd entrance into the stabling area. Barn 5 (the DSHB barn) will then be on your left.

An alternate way into the horse park is to take the first right immediately after you cross the Yellow River - this is Gate A. Follow the road around past Barn 6 on the left, then take the next left (I think - there should be a sign pointing you toward the covered arena and stabling area). That will bring you around to Barn 5 on your right. This road is pretty bumpy, though, right after you turn in at the gate, so it may not be a good route for foals.

You will find that Exit 84 is a MUCH easier way into the horse park - there is hardly ever a big back-up on the exit ramp like there is at Exit 82.

Also be aware there is never enough parking near Barn 5, so you will need to QUICKLY unload and move your rig so others can unload. :D

Home Again Farm
Sep. 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
Coming from the south, isn't it best to get off I-75 way south at McDonough and then take Hwy 20 to 138? That avoids the Atlanta main drags.

DownYonder
Sep. 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Coming from the south, isn't it best to get off I-75 way south at McDonough and then take Hwy 20 to 138? That avoids the Atlanta main drags.

Yes, that is actually what I would do if coming up I-75 from the south. You might want to still try to arrive at GIHP before 4 pm Friday to avoid rush hour traffic on Hwy 20/138 in Conyers.

Home Again Farm
Sep. 15, 2010, 11:07 AM
Oh yes, we definitely hope to get there before the traffic rush hour. Thanks DY!

shjhorses
Sep. 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
This is only if you are coming East through Atlanta to Conyers on I-20 (west bound completed repaving last month). It starts Friday evening at 9pm and goes until Sunday midnight. It will be backed up the whole time b/c they only leave 2 lanes open at a time. Prepare for extra time and gas and it's going to be another hot one here. The loop around I-285 won't save you any time b/c the construction starts at the loop on I-20 and goes for a few miles from there....sorry:(