PDA

View Full Version : Is this the same as Surpass? (Over the Counter and cheaper)

Defying Logic
Sep. 10, 2010, 12:00 AM
My horse has had some joint problems lately and so I was cruising around the internet educating myself on the various drugs I have used. I Googled the chemical name and concentration of Surpass (1% diclofenac sodium) and came across this website:

http://www.lifepluspharmacy.com/productinfo/Voltaren_Emulgel_120g

Near as I can tell, the drugs are the same and this is 120g (Surpass is 124g) for $20 less and over the counter. Am I missing something, or is this the same thing?

mypaintwattie
Sep. 10, 2010, 12:25 AM
Yes, it is the same thing. Available in most other parts of the world OTC. I have the same tube in my tack box that a friend brought back from England. Fabulous stuff!

LLDM
Sep. 10, 2010, 12:46 AM
I'm very surprised it says it doesn't require an Rx. I have a Rx for this and it's covered by my insurance.

SCFarm

Coreene
Sep. 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
OTC everywhere but in the US. A friend brings it from England (about 8 GBP per tube, where it is called Voltarol), we stock up on it in Holland, and a friend who has a place just over the border in Mexico brings it too. Available at drugstores worldwide. Wonder who is paying off who in the US.

Laurierace
Sep. 10, 2010, 11:38 AM
What about canada? Hubby is going fishing for a week, maybe he can make a side trip.

pattir7
Sep. 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have a prescription for it for MYSELF.. get it at Walmart.. $30/3 tubes (w/ insurance). It is fantastic stuff..and I was skeptical.

Was talking to an equine vet about it.. he said also that this stuff is a gel (vs. Surpass is a cream) and a gel will always be absorbed better than a cream...especially through hair.

Enuf said! :yes:

Coreene
Sep. 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
What about canada? Hubby is going fishing for a week, maybe he can make a side trip.

OTC everywhere except the US. Another example of the American consumer getting ripped off by the pharmaceutical industry.

Laurierace
Sep. 10, 2010, 06:53 PM
I emailed hubby the link. Hopefully he can find some for me and bring it back. I was never a big surpass fan, mainly due to the cost but its worth another try if its that cheap.

MelantheLLC
Sep. 10, 2010, 07:40 PM
A recent article in the NYT about the topical gels:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/health/07pain.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=health

Looks like you can blame the FDA for being late to the party, not the drug companies. Though they certainly charge through the nose now for the Flector patches (which I love, can't tolerate oral nsaids, and are not covered yet by insurance.)

clivers
Sep. 10, 2010, 08:01 PM

Yup. costs about $10 per large tube at Walmart :)

tarynls
Sep. 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
Though they certainly charge through the nose now for the Flector patches (which I love, can't tolerate oral nsaids, and are not covered yet by insurance.)

Really? I've gotten 3 boxes of Flector patches at a time for well over a year - $30 copay total. Maybe your insurance company doesn't have it on their formulary list?

Wayside
Sep. 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
Interesting. My husband is currently on a business trip in Ireland, so I just shot him an email to keep an eye out for it. No idea if it's available OTC there, or if he can actually find it even if it is, but it seemed like it was worth a try.

MelantheLLC
Sep. 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
Taryn, thanks for mentioning that, I'll turn in the receipts this year and see what happens. Maybe it's catching up.

Coreene
Sep. 11, 2010, 04:02 AM
It is available at chemists in Ireland. Everywhere but the US it is OTC. It goes by the name Voltarol in Europe.

vineyridge
Sep. 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
SIGH!

prairiewind2
Sep. 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
Has anyone in the US tried ordering it from an online overseas pharmacy? Even with shipping and VAT it's waaaaay cheaper than what I can get Surpass for.

I've never ordered drugs from outside US borders, so I don't know if our customs causes problems.

Liz