PDA

View Full Version : Moths or ? in Dog Biscuit Box?

SCM1959
Sep. 8, 2010, 05:16 PM
I buy the extra large box of Milk Bone dog biscuits for our dog. I have done this for over a year with no problems.

This latest box is about 2/3 empty and there are some sort of flying insects in it!

I put the box into the garage and took out each biscuit and inspected it carefully. I put all of the "clean" biscuits into a tightly sealed plastic container.

Are the biscuits still okay for our dog to eat?

SCM1959

threedogpack
Sep. 8, 2010, 06:23 PM
probably, after all some of the less attractive things dogs eat are eaten with gusto. However, if you .really. are worried, freeze the biscuits for 2 weeks to kill anything.

anything that is grain based can attract moths...and biscuits are usually corn based.

CB/TB
Sep. 8, 2010, 07:32 PM
They might be Indian Meal Moths, and once they get into your kitchen they're tough to get rid of. You can get traps at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. They are cardboard tent-shaped things with a sticky attractant that will work for up to 3 months, or so. Once you don't see any moths stuck on the traps, you're good. Check your cereals, mixes, crackers, etc and toss anything with the bugs in them and wash your cupboards. Good luck.

SCM1959
Sep. 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
Oh yuck, I think Indian Meal Moths are what these things are. I googled for an image and it looks just like what I saw in the box. Ugh.

Dog Biscuits going into the freezer right now.

Luckily, I keep the biscuits in the laundry room because that is where our dog's bed is. Nowhere near the kitchen!

I will get the traps tomorrow to be sure that I get rid of them.

Thank you so much! COTH is the place to go with any question about anything at all!!

SCM1959

JanM
Sep. 8, 2010, 08:51 PM
I think they are what weevils turn into when they grow up. The eggs were already in the biscuits, and hatched out into weevils, then turned into moths. They will get into anything that is cereal or organic based. In the past I've had them in Milk Bone, a couple of other brands of biscuits, boxed spices (celery or caraway seeds-they must have been many years old because spices come in jars now), cotton seed meal (used for yard fertilizer), will come out of really old breakfast cereal, cake mixes etc that are very old. You need to go through anything else that's open and see if there any weevils in anything else. And freezing biscuits didn't kill mine off, they rehatched while waiting for trash day in the see through container (I didn't have the guts to keep and try the biscuits after I froze them).

SCM1959
Sep. 8, 2010, 08:55 PM
Okay, now throwing away biscuits! They are not that expensive and I do not want any more of those things in my house! EEWWW.

I am so glad that the kitchen is not close to the laundry room.

SCM1959

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 9, 2010, 12:27 AM
I've had issues in the past with Milk Bones brand biscuits, and I don't buy them any more. Worst case came from Wal-Mart!

I've got those moths in my barn, and I put out the traps yesterday, and so far they have not caught a single moth. I'm a bit dissappointed in that.

SmartAlex
Sep. 9, 2010, 09:28 AM
Oh yuck, I think Indian Meal Moths are what these things are. I googled for an image and it looks just like what I saw in the box. Ugh.

Oh those are the WORST! I got them when we moved my MIL and I took kitchen dry goods home. I battled them for months, throwing out all cake mixes etc and sealing things in plastic containers. They chew through the seals and lay their eggs, and put webby crap in all your corn meal, oatmeal etc.

RougeEmpire
Sep. 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
Moths wont hurt the dogs, even if he eats them. They will however invade your cupboards are had to evict, lols!

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:01 AM
The biscuits are probably fine for the dog. They're not exactly nutritionally dense to start with, so the bugs aren't taking much. ;)

When we lived overseas, all our dry goods, pet food, etc., had to go through the freezer. I have vivid memories of helping my mom sift weevils out of flour and catfood before we froze it. It only takes a few hours in the freezer to kill everything. Once weevils or grain moths are loose in your kitchen... :eek: Major PITA to get rid of.

FYI: If anyone has a kid doing a bug collection for school, freezing the bugs is the best way to kill them so that they stay dry and flexible for positioning.

SmartAlex
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
I never thought of freezing! Heck, we had them so bad, I would have gladly turned off the water and left the house open for a winter's day and frozen all the little ba$#@rd$. They were that bad.

islgrl
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
ugh - they are impossible to evict once they take hold. I once spent an entire day in my kitchen dealing with this when all I wanted to do was make pasta salad. A 15 minute task turned into a 6 hour cleaning spree.

Guin
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:07 AM
Throw them OUT. If they've been in your kitchen cupboard, throw away any open containers of flour, oatmeal, or cereal also. I call them "pantry moths" but there is probably a more scientific name for them. They will get into any sort of cereal/flour product and you will be infested. :dead:

Keep every sort of open dog treats/cat kibble/flour etc in ziplock bags or other sealed tupperware-type containers for a month or so to make sure there aren't any re-infestations.

sar2008
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
Yuck, I had these in my pantry. I had to literally take everything out, rinse everything off and put everything back AND scrub the walls since they were laying eggy cacoons in the corners!!!! It was such a PIA. They got into unopened boxes and would "nest" in the tops of unopened cans. I attributed it to leaving my patio door open with no screen so my doggies could go in and out. :no: Not any more. Now I never leave my patio door open for more then a second without the screen....

sar2008
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
ugh - they are impossible to evict once they take hold. I once spent an entire day in my kitchen dealing with this when all I wanted to do was make pasta salad. A 15 minute task turned into a 6 hour cleaning spree.

:lol: sounds like my "experience" with them!

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 9, 2010, 10:55 AM
A 15 minute task turned into a 6 hour cleaning spree.That's been my experience with weevils. And it wasn't even my kitchen. :lol: I was at my mom's house, pulled something out of the cabinet, and realized that the whole place had become weevilized. It started with a bag of dogfood that had been thrown out, but I guess with the main source gone, they decided to set up camp in the cabinet. And I want to know, how do they even manage to get into sealed containers? :confused:

Alagirl
Sep. 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
they can chew tiny holes into plastic.

You got grain stuff, you got bugs.
and dogfood is 90% grains these days :winkgrin:

after reading this thread I looked at my birdseed, and sure enough, the 1 qt container has moths in it, the other one I dumped in the front yards for the wild birds to eat, seeds and bugs...it's been dry....

The other one, not sure yet, the parakeets need something to eat till I can go to the store...

KrazyTBMare
Sep. 9, 2010, 01:21 PM
My birdseed I keep in the old chest freezer in the barn has those moths in it. Doesnt matter WHAT I do, cant get them to go away b/c as soon as I buy a new bag, they are back. I HATE them and we had them in the house years ago.. took forever to get rid of them.

PRS
Sep. 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
I used to be a licensed pest control professional and here are a few things I know: Indian meal moths and "weevils" are not the same critter, however they are just as hard to control and they both love dried foods, flour, pasta, etc. They are one of the main reason I always recommended to customers that they NEVER store pet food where they store their own food. Pet food is a notorious vector for these pests to invade your home. In fact, it was an indian meal moth that was the first "bug" in computer bugs....one got stuck on circuitry in a computer and caused it to malfunction. When the technician opened the computer he found the moth, upon removal the computer worked again.

While freezing the biscuits will kill the moths and their larvae it might not kill the eggs so care should be taken to isolate the biscuits once they thaw. If they were at my house I would just throw them out. It is not a good idea to buy more biscuits or dog food than your dog can consume in 2 weeks.

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
About those moths, they also like rat poison. My friend and former BO had a problem with rats in the tackroom, so she got one of those poison feeder box type things with the big rat blocks. The rats never touched them. The moths loved them! Now what does that say when the damn things can feast on rat poison and not die!

SCM1959
Sep. 9, 2010, 03:33 PM
Wow, thanks for the professional information. I have thrown out the biscuits and will only buy small boxes from now on. I will keep them in tupperware, tightly sealed.

In all the years that I have had dogs, I have never had this happen. Thank goodness my laundry room is really far from the kitchen. All that is kept in the laundry room are the 2 boxes of dog biscuits (one teeny tiny for the poodle, and one huge for the big dog). All of the biscuits have been thrown out. I do have a rolling plastic cart for the dry dog food, but so far, so good on that. That stays tightly sealed at all times since the dog could get into it if he wanted. The biscuit boxes just sit on the counter, most of the time wide open, since certain other people who live in this house can never close anything.

I do remember once, a few years ago, that horrible flying things got into the goat food that was stored in my feed building. We have two pygmy goats for horse companionship, but unfortunately goat food only comes in 50 lb bags. It took forever and a day to get through that much food, since the goats only needed a scant handful between the 2 of them. It didn't take long for the galvanized can to be full of moths/whatever. I finally gave up on buying commercial goat food, and I just get one week's worth at a time from the huge goat dairy up the street.

I feel so creepy crawly thinking of all of these weevils and moths.

SCM1959

TikiSoo
Sep. 10, 2010, 08:06 AM
I agree with most previous posters....these moths are common and once in your pantry, tough to completely get rid of. I've found them tucked in cookbook pages from a parrot food infestation 20 years ago!

Although the larvae are most likely in every grain product we buy, I've found a HUGE difference buying from stores with a quicker turnaround.

I no longer buy dog bisquits or food from those mega pet store warehouses and only buy from my local grocery store.
For whatever reason, the product isn't stored as long and I've NEVER found any infestation.

smay
Sep. 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
Yep, it's not likely that they get in 'through the screen door!" You usually will bring them home from the grocery store. I've even seen the moths fluttering around certain shelves in the grocery on occasion and practically ran screaming from that aisle! haha DO NOT WANT those coming home with me! Been there, done that!

JanM
Sep. 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
I used to keep the dog food, and biscuits in huge snap-on containers (they look like big pickle jars) and you could see weevils or anything developing through the clear plastic side, plus the lid closed very tightly. The containers were so big I could get over 10 lbs of food in one container. And since I'm a klutz I liked the tightly sealed lid with a handle for easier handling and carrying. Then I put the food and biscuits in smaller snap top lid containers so I have a few days available for use. I really hate those weevils and moths, plus the really tightly sealed lids are moth and ant proof too.

birdsong
Sep. 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.flahorse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26536&highlight=moths

It literally took years for me to rid my home of those things. They migrated to every room in the house.

randi112755
Sep. 8, 2011, 05:54 PM
I found them also so l now put them in freezer . The last batch I left in garage and on top of moths I had what looks like maggots in box also . Does anyone know if they are a form of the moths?,

Guin
Sep. 8, 2011, 07:02 PM
See lengthy thread in Menagerie:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317542

birdsong
Sep. 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
Oh those are the WORST! I got them when we moved my MIL and I took kitchen dry goods home. I battled them for months, throwing out all cake mixes etc and sealing things in plastic containers. They chew through the seals and lay their eggs, and put webby crap in all your corn meal, oatmeal etc.

I'm too embarrassed to admit how long it took for me to finally get rid of those things. Nothing like watching tv at night and seeing one lazily making his way from the kitchen to your bedroom closet!! I keep all birdseed etc out of the house now~!
They are terrible!

alabama
Sep. 9, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm too embarrassed to admit how long it took for me to finally get rid of those things. Nothing like watching tv at night and seeing one lazily making his way from the kitchen to your bedroom closet!! I keep all birdseed etc out of the house now~!
They are terrible!
Birdseed! Yep, that's how I got them in my old house. I had to throw out all my pasta, flour, corn meal - everything. After that, all my grains got stored in my freezer. What a PITA! After I got moths, I was told that birdseed is horrible about bringing them in the house. :mad:

Luckily, they haven't followed me (yet) to my new house. It still store my grain stuff in the deep freeze, though. And no birdseed will ever be in my house again.

deltawave
Sep. 9, 2011, 12:24 PM
Most dogs would probably simply consider it extra flavor. :D

PRS
Sep. 9, 2011, 04:24 PM
I found them also so l now put them in freezer . The last batch I left in garage and on top of moths I had what looks like maggots in box also . Does anyone know if they are a form of the moths?,

The "maggots" are the moth larvae.
Life cycle = Egg/larvae/pupae/moth - repeat.

PiaffePlease
Sep. 9, 2011, 09:43 PM
Years and years ago when we bought Milkbones we had this problem. Even the ones we thought that looked ok, if you break them open, the larva are inside the treat. Ive bought tons of different brands of treats since then and never seen them since. The biscuits are cheap, throw them out.

JanM
Sep. 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
I stopped buying Milkbone years ago because of this problem. I don't think it's the product, but the length of time the big retailers keep it after purchase and before sale. I also had it happen with a preservative free, all natural brand too. And one last timewith a third higer quality brand. I think it's the same problem with the retailers. I'm very glad I kept them in very solid transparent hard plastic containers with snap lids, so I didn't have any escapees.

And if you get them from one food item they will search out other hosts also. Over the years they were in dog biscuits, really old spice in boxes, and cottonseed meal that was left open. I hate the weevils so much.

CatOnLap
Sep. 11, 2011, 11:27 AM
yes, I found Milkbone was the most frequent offender too and stopped buying them. Now I make my own biscuits- so easy and takes only about 1/2 hour to make enough for 2 weeks. Plus, for the $3 you spend on a small box of Milkbones, you can make about 5 times as many of these and the dogs LOFF them.

Here's the recipe, which originally came from our local shelter's newsletter:

Dog Biscuits
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs
10 tablespoons of fat- either vegetable oil, or bacon drippings, or melted butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon bovril liquid or 1 tsp salt ( do not use if using butter or bacon drippings- they have enough salt already)
1/2 cup cold water

Mix all ingredients into a dough, roll out on a floured surface and cut into bite size pieces with a pizza cutter.Transfer to a cookie sheet with a spatula.

OR pinch off teaspoon size pieces and put on a cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.

Bake at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes.

Store in a cool airtight container for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer or fridge for longer times. You can add shredded cheese or crumbled bacon or other flavourings too( shredded carrot, peas, etc)- just add about 1/2 cup of other flavours to the dough.