PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why do we have to wear tall boots?! (a rage against my feet)

onelove
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ok I know- it's traditional and it looks nice and they protect our feet and legs. I actually get that part. I really honest to God do.
The part that I don't get is why on Earth must I have so many damned problems finding friggin boots to fit my freak of nature legs?!?
I wish I could be like the rest of the world and buy tall boots without issue but I can't. Not only do I have 19" calves but I also have a very high instep to my foot so I have a hard time getting my feet into the boots.

I tried on a pair of semi-customs the other day that would have fit (surprisingly) around the calf but because I couldn't get my friggin foot through the ankle part (even with a shoe horn! :eek: ) I couldn't try them on. And they had zippers! I unlaced the boots, unzippered the zippers, and tried with boot socks and a shoe horn and my feet would not go in!

Does anyone else have instep issues like this or am I just some mutant freak of nature that is going to go broke buying customs? I have high insteps, wide calves, wide feet and wide ankles and all I hear when I walk is ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching!!!

I don't mind so much the wide calves- I can get gussets put in but I'm starting to have a real issue with my instep. I can have the shoe part stretched for my feet but it's my instep that is making boot shopping a nightmare for me.

Years ago when I rode only in tall boots I didn't have this problem and my legs and feet haven't changed much since. Then I started wearing half chaps and paddocks because I wasn't showing and now that I will be soon, I am going through boot shopping Hell! :mad::mad::mad:

Someone out here in COTHland must have gone through this themselves and possibly have some suggestions? I don't even consider trying on pull ons. I can't- there is no way I could get my foot in them. I only try on zippered boots and even with the zippers all the way down and unlaced, I am still having trouble getting my foot into the boots. Yes I have on slippery riding socks and yes I am pointing my toes. Most of the time I can't get past the ankle area because my instep is too high (wide) for that part.

I can get my feet into my knee high boots I wear outside of the barn but not field boots so I don't get it. God help me if I ever decide to try to find some dress boots for Dressage!

Please tell me someone else has had similar issues, not that I want to revel in your pain and misery but I would like some insight how other people have handled this.

(And just to clarify things, the instep of your foot is actually the top of your foot, where your shoelaces go over. The arch is the curvature underneath your foot.)

Auburn
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
You can still wear half chaps and paddocks when you show. You have to purchase the all leather half chaps, which look like tall boots. Maybe that would solve your problem?

Outyougo
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:19 AM
i have a lovely pair of boots custom madd in Brazil. the zipper comes from the center of the arch of my foot wraps around the ankle then up the calf. These are custom made a treat to myself for surviving

Super boots I have had them for 5 years. Quality much better that Ariat or Dehners my Portugese (?) isn't there maybe some one knows these boots

clm08
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry I can't help the OP with suggestions, but I also bought my tall boots in Brazil, not custom, and they fit me so much better than any of the ones I could find in here. Price was great too.

onelove
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:35 AM
You can still wear half chaps and paddocks when you show. You have to purchase the all leather half chaps, which look like tall boots. Maybe that would solve your problem?

There are some shows that won't allow you to wear half chaps and paddocks believe it or not. I personally think it is a silly thing given that some half chaps/paddock combos are really nice looking and if the right match, do make it hard to tell. But the shows I want to go to next year are requiring boots and specifically say no half chap/paddocks will be allowed. :no:

onelove
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
i have a lovely pair of boots custom madd in Brazil. the zipper comes from the center of the arch of my foot wraps around the ankle then up the calf. These are custom made a treat to myself for surviving

Super boots I have had them for 5 years. Quality much better that Ariat or Dehners my Portugese (?) isn't there maybe some one knows these boots

Can you link a picture so I can see what you are riding in? They sound very interesting and might work for me.

bornfreenowexpensive
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:52 AM
There are some shows that won't allow you to wear half chaps and paddocks believe it or not. I personally think it is a silly thing given that some half chaps/paddock combos are really nice looking and if the right match, do make it hard to tell. But the shows I want to go to next year are requiring boots and specifically say no half chap/paddocks will be allowed. :no:

What kind of shows are they? Can't be USEA horse trails....as the rule permits them.

I've got some friends with similar issues but they usually can get into ones with zippers. Maybe you need to be trying a boot that is a little bit bigger in the foot? Perhaps that would give you more room to slip through the ankle area. Alternatively...sounds like you need some one to insert some elastic into the tongue of the boot under the laces.

Equibrit
Aug. 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
Check these out;
http://www.horsefair.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=101&strPageHistory=cat
Especially the Oregon.
The Rectiligne Oregon is new to the range and offers a great training and competition boot.

They are made from waterproof full grain leather in black or dark brown and have breathable lining and an internal boot pull.

Comfort is important in Endurance riding so Rectiligne have incorporated an elasticated rear zip down to the ankle, a padded ankle and 4 stretch panels at the rear of the boot with an adjustable velcro strap at the top.

They also have a tough yet flexible rubber sole, a removable comfort insole and reinforced toe cap.
(If you order from the UK you don't have to pay the 17.5% VAT included in the prices quoted.)

Some available at;
http://www.midwestenglishtack.com/Rectiligne.html
Zips and about 4 or 5 different calf sizes standard, and custom available at a tiny bit extra.

Trixie
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
Could you take the ones that should fit your feet/fit your calf to a cobbler? Maybe they can find a better way to help you get them on.

Bobthehorse
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:10 PM
I get mine custom made at a shoe repair shop that does boots for the mounted police. I get the zippers for convenience and they have never busted. I could wear them all day long, I walk xc courses in them, I love them. My first pair lasted about 6 years of daily wear, course walking, riding in the rain, falling in water jumps, mud and bathing. When they went, the sole began to separate.

But if tall boots dont work for you, a nice paddock/half chap set is totally acceptable and can look really close to tall boots.

monstrpony
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:10 PM
I think the style for boots has moved toward a narrower, more fitted ankle. Especially since zippers have become mainstream. I also am large-boned and have a substantial instep, and can't imagine getting in most of the off-the-shelf boots I see these days. I've long since given up showing and ride in paddock boots and half-chaps and am very happy to do so. I honestly believe that arrangement makes far more sense than tall boots, but "tradition" is hard to change ... or at least, it's hard to change the rate at which tradition changes ;).

ezmissg
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
OK, I can relate to at least part of what you're saying, as I have very wide calves, though otherwise short legs, small foot, etc.

I got a great deal on the Tredstep Trimline Half Chaps on Tack of the Day a few months ago, and they are the type that CAN be worn with paddock boots at USEA events. It's these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-trimline-half-chaps/p/X1-35133/cn/1934/

But, that being said, I got some Dehner custom made last year, and I now know what it's like to have a boot that fits. They require all types of measurements around your ankle, instep, balls of your foot, etc -- so I wonder if that could solve your high instep problem. AND, THEY HAVE A $150 OFF SALE now through August 31st if you order from their website. Also, if I remember correctly, they put 50% charge on my credit card upon order placement, and then the other 50% when they were shipped, so it breaks it up the cost a bit.

www.dehner.com (http://www.dehner.com)

onelove
Aug. 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
Check these out;
http://www.horsefair.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=101&strPageHistory=cat
Especially the Oregon.
The Rectiligne Oregon is new to the range and offers a great training and competition boot.

They are made from waterproof full grain leather in black or dark brown and have breathable lining and an internal boot pull.

Comfort is important in Endurance riding so Rectiligne have incorporated an elasticated rear zip down to the ankle, a padded ankle and 4 stretch panels at the rear of the boot with an adjustable velcro strap at the top.

They also have a tough yet flexible rubber sole, a removable comfort insole and reinforced toe cap.
(If you order from the UK you don't have to pay the 17.5% VAT included in the prices quoted.)

Some available at;
http://www.midwestenglishtack.com/Rectiligne.html
Zips and about 4 or 5 different calf sizes standard, and custom available at a tiny bit extra.Thanks!

Requesting a sizing chart from them now. As far as half chaps and paddocks, the shows we want to go to won't allow them, they are local rated shows, but not sure how they are able to get away with the boots only policy if they are rated. Going to check into that. I really prefer the look and feel of tall boots now. I think they look better in the ring and I felt more polished as a rider when I had mine before. When I stopped showing I started wearing half chaps and paddocks but now that we are going to start showing again, I really want a more polished traditional look. Even though there are some very nice half chaps, I just prefer tall boots at the show.

GotSpots
Aug. 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
As far as half chaps and paddocks, the shows we want to go to won't allow them, they are local rated shows, but not sure how they are able to get away with the boots only policy if they are rated. Going to check into that. I really prefer the look and feel of tall boots now. I think they look better in the ring and I felt more polished as a rider when I had mine before. When I stopped showing I started wearing half chaps and paddocks but now that we are going to start showing again, I really want a more polished traditional look. Even though there are some very nice half chaps, I just prefer tall boots at the show. Any USEA/USEF recognized horse trials must permit you to ride in approved paddocks/all leather leg piece, per rule EV114: "Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots." It's not actually an optional rule for a horse trials to follow. H/J and recognized dressage, different rules apply.

bip
Aug. 26, 2010, 02:36 PM
My instep was a problem long before I, ahem, *developed* wider calves. I had no problem getting my foot into Mountain Horse boots, the zipper goes down low enough. I couldn't get my foot into Fuller Fillies dress boots, but the field boots fit like a dream. Instead of laces, they have a piece of elastic that looks like laces. Clever.

JER
Aug. 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
I have a very high instep. So high that I get comments like "Oh my god what happened to your foot?" Then I show them the other one. I can't put my foot into most shoes/boots at all.

I wear Mountain Horse Sportive back-zip boots.

(I used to get customs but got tired of having to send them back because they didn't get the measurements right. I had the unusual situation of my foot being wider than my calf and the makers would usually switch the measurements around, thinking the foot/ankle measurement was my leg and vice versa -- even though I always warned them in advance not to do this.)

AKB
Aug. 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
My daughter has the high insteps. She wears Ariat Field boots. I have the high insteps and the big calves. Since I only trail ride, I wear Blundstone paddock boots and Equissentials Western full seat pants. I have a whole collection of uncomfortable boots in the tack room.

netg
Aug. 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
OK, I can relate to at least part of what you're saying, as I have very wide calves, though otherwise short legs, small foot, etc.

I got a great deal on the Tredstep Trimline Half Chaps on Tack of the Day a few months ago, and they are the type that CAN be worn with paddock boots at USEA events. It's these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-trimline-half-chaps/p/X1-35133/cn/1934/

But, that being said, I got some Dehner custom made last year, and I now know what it's like to have a boot that fits. They require all types of measurements around your ankle, instep, balls of your foot, etc -- so I wonder if that could solve your high instep problem. AND, THEY HAVE A $150 OFF SALE now through August 31st if you order from their website. Also, if I remember correctly, they put 50% charge on my credit card upon order placement, and then the other 50% when they were shipped, so it breaks it up the cost a bit.

www.dehner.com (http://www.dehner.com)

I have similar problems!

I am short w/ tiny feet (size 6) and thin ankles, but approx size 8 calves. Mountain Horse is the only company who makes size 6 boots with large enough calves, but they're several inches too long, and the wide part would hit the wrong part of my leg. I also narrow down above my calf/below my knee far more than OTS boots do. On top of that, I, too, have a high instep. If you can find off the shelf boots which fit, the zipper on the inside of the calf instead of back may help your instep troubles. Those zippers don't last as long supposedly, but that may be ok for non-custom boots. For my customs there is a specific style of Vogel dress boots which is shaped differently in the heel and allows a zipper to extend closer to the bottom of your foot - thus enabling you to get your foot in even with a high instep. The pro I went to for measurement felt that the specific style of boot we ordered me was the only custom which would fit me really well because of my "challenges" in finding a good fit, among all the brands. It's a total pain!

ellebeaux
Aug. 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
Check these out:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=8429&

shawneeAcres
Aug. 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
Are you looking at dress or field boots? I have exactly the same issues and have field boots with elastic laces and of course zippers and gussets. Noone has ever said anything and all I EVER wear are field boots.

cranky
Aug. 26, 2010, 09:04 PM
I have similar problems!

I am short w/ tiny feet (size 6) and thin ankles, but approx size 8 calves. Mountain Horse is the only company who makes size 6 boots with large enough calves, but they're several inches too long, and the wide part would hit the wrong part of my leg. I also narrow down above my calf/below my knee far more than OTS boots do. On top of that, I, too, have a high instep. If you can find off the shelf boots which fit, the zipper on the inside of the calf instead of back may help your instep troubles. Those zippers don't last as long supposedly, but that may be ok for non-custom boots. For my customs there is a specific style of Vogel dress boots which is shaped differently in the heel and allows a zipper to extend closer to the bottom of your foot - thus enabling you to get your foot in even with a high instep. The pro I went to for measurement felt that the specific style of boot we ordered me was the only custom which would fit me really well because of my "challenges" in finding a good fit, among all the brands. It's a total pain!

I had the same problem (well, except for the small foot part). But the short leg + XW calf was impossible to fit. One pair of boots that I tried *almost* fit, but the wide part of my leg started before the wide part of the boot (that's where the short part comes in) and they just didn't quite work. Once the FF field boots came out I was finally able to get my legs into a tall boot. They are too wide just below the knee, but thankfully zipper closed over my calf, which was my biggest problem in finding a boot, so I'm happy enough. I also find that the foot is very wide, I wonder if that might help the high instep people get their foot in? Maybe not, but might be worth a try.

OP, I think people are a little confused about your horseshow boot rules because you're posting in the Eventing forum, so everyone assumes that you're interested in Eventing competitions where the rules state you are allowed to wear paddocks with all-leather half chaps (which is what I had been doing, I will be doing my first competition in my new boots this weekend).

onelove
Aug. 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Whoops! Sorry! I didn't mean to throw anyone for a loop! Let me try to clarify things up a bit about why I posted here.

My aspiration is to start eventing. I rode H/J most of my life and if I had come down with Bell's Palsy last week, we would have gone to our first CT event. We've been working towards this and of course, something got in the way but that's ok. It gives me time to shop for tall boots. :D Eventually, once I get back in the saddle again in a few weeks we will get back to work and hopefully do a few starter trails and derbies in the next few months before Winter. And then if all goes well, I want to open some grounds here but that's down the road a bit.

The show that I posted about that got everyone confused is at an H/J barn that we are planning on showing at with some of the younger horses and riders. It's very close to our farm and so it's ideal for us to go and since they have derbies too, it just makes even more sense. However, the farm holds a "boots only" policy on their website and states that no half chap paddock combination will be allowed. I know the USEA states that paddocks and half chaps are ok but this particular farm doesn't allow it. I don't agree with it but I'm not going to boycott them or anything silly. It's a nice farm and if that's their policy then so be it.

So that's why I posted my rant here. I mean, it seemed more appropriate here than anywhere else.

Anyways, the Fuller Fillies boots I think are made by Hispar, which I am going to get fitted for but am skeptical because I have heard negative things about them breaking down quickly and the company's return policy. I'm trying to find these mysterious Brazilian boots that everyone suggested. Maybe one of you knows the brand name?

Anyhow, that's what the situation is. Still very happy that I am not alone in my aggravation. :)

RacetrackReject
Aug. 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
Ok, so what about super high insteps, narrow feet with very narrow heel, skinny ankle, 15 1/2-16" calves, and really long legs? I'm only 5'8 but with a 35" inseam if that tells you anything. I cannot find off the shelf boots tall enough.

I make do with Mountain Horse Boots currently, but they are wide in the foot and too short. Anything Ariat gives me horrible blisters on my heels. I don't do enough of anything to justify customs at them moment. Any suggestions?

Janet
Aug. 27, 2010, 02:30 PM
Any USEA/USEF recognized horse trials must permit you to ride in approved paddocks/all leather leg piece, per rule EV114: "Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots." It's not actually an optional rule for a horse trials to follow. H/J and recognized dressage, different rules apply.
The recognized Dressage rules permit them through First Level.

Riders through First Level may
wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color
of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material

teddygirl
Aug. 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
Maryland Saddlery does some great wider calf boots, and they're VERY knowledgeable and can stretch boots to your measurements, which they did for me last year. Go to their web site or talk to them, they're terrific

www.marylandsaddlery.com

onelove
Aug. 29, 2010, 02:01 PM
Maryland Saddlery does some great wider calf boots, and they're VERY knowledgeable and can stretch boots to your measurements, which they did for me last year. Go to their web site or talk to them, they're terrific

www.marylandsaddlery.com

Thanks for posting the link but this is something that frustrates me very much about boot manufacturers. They list boots under their plus size section because the manufacturer has "extra wide" calves but the reality is that their "extra wide" calves are usually around 16", which is not "extra wide". It's normal size for crying out loud!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have been planning on taking a trip down to them as I have not been there yet and would really like to check them out. Everyone I know says they are great and the shops here are a bit limited on their stuff. I don't think they can stretch the boots 3" but maybe their consignments will have something that might work. Gives me an excuse to go. Kinda forget that they're nearby. Thanks! :)