PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Board fees?

pnalley
Aug. 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
What do you think is a reasonable board fee
The barn is small, privately owned the owners live on premises and are knowledgable. There is a barn with paddocks behing the stalls & the place is fenced & cross fenced.

1 need one stall for a 30 year old and evening turnout & a private paddock for the other horse (she kicks bad)

They would feed my feed & hay.

daisyduke
Aug. 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
Wow, so many factors play into board. Firstly, what other barns and facilities are in the area? If public barns are few and far between, they can pretty much command any price. However, if there is some competition, they generally would stay within a reasonable amount. Secondly, what amenities does the barn offer? Wash stalls, indoor arena, lockers, outdoor arena, private paddocks, coaches, jumps, etc. I would say for a general barn, that offers typical amenities, $500-$700 is reasonable. For an exceptional, highly competitive barn, the sky is the limit. Anywhere from $1000-$2000 per month. In my area, where there are many, many barns to choose from, the board is $500 to $600. That is with private paddock, stall, indoor/outdoor arena and typical amenities.

shakeytails
Aug. 13, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm in an inexpensive area. I might consider a boarder under certain circumstances. For what you're describing, I wouldn't do it for less than $125/month/horse. And I wouldn't do it at all if you were the type to be high maintenence like blanket changes every 20 degrees, expect your horses fed at exactly the same time every day, etc.

LauraKY
Aug. 13, 2010, 07:32 PM
Again, depends on your area. I'm in Kentucky too and I charge $400 for full care stall board with turnout and for private turnout with full care board $475. So do your homework and check out the competition. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Saidapal
Aug. 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
Do they have horses of their own? Or will they be making a special trip to the barn twice a day to feed yours only? I think you would/should pay more if yours are the only horses there to make it worth their time.

Don't know about your area but this is what I had: I used to have a stall w/paddock and the barn fed twice a day and provided feed and some hay. I paid $230 a month and this included turnout every other day (worked well for me, I always rode on her in days.) I cleaned my own stall, provided shavings and supplemented her hay. It was an excellent arrangement and well priced for what they did.

SMF11
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yes there are too many variables. For the private paddock, do they have a small one that only one horse would use anyway? Because I have a smaller paddock that 2 - 3 horses can live on quite happily; if I had to limit the field to one horse I would potentially be foregoing other income, so that would be a factor in charging more. Who's mucking the stall? Who's disposing of the manure? Who's buying bedding? Who's holding for the vet? What is the water situation? Who's fixing the fence when a board breaks? If any of the above is the property owner then they are justified in charging more.

I live in an expensive area, and you'd have to pay $450 - $500 for that here, at a minimum.

shakeytails
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
Again, depends on your area. I'm in Kentucky too and I charge $400 for full care stall board with turnout and for private turnout with full care board $475. So do your homework and check out the competition. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

I'm surprised Lexington isn't higher. There's not a lot of places to board around here that I know of (I run with a different crowd), but the one about a half hour from me charges $405/month- they do have a huge indoor and lots of places to ride, but I have no idea about the turnout or quality of care. One of these days when I have a few extra bucks I might take a lesson there just for fun to see if they have a clue since they basically claim to teach almost everything but saddle seat.

scheherazadetbmare
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
I just think it is great that you have a 30 yr old!

You're in a rural area pretty far from Atlanta so the private barns aren't too expensive but there are several big horse farms around there if I read the Market Bulletin correctly. I'm guessing a private farm around Concord would be about 425 a horse? And there should be cheaper ones but then they might scrimp on services.

425 would include feed and hay and bi-monthly wormer and monthly sander and stalls and turnout.