PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed for protecting hydrant

KSAQHA
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
How do I protect a free-standing hydrant from being used as a scratching post of the equine variety? I have a 75-gal water tank on one side of it, and have always kept a 5-gal bucket over the top of the hydrant. However, the bucket is now being knocked off and the hydrant bent...even though the hydrant pipe is shored up with a piece of t-post.

I know there's got to be an easy solution, but my normally creative ingenuity has shriveled to nothingness with the heat and humidity. ;)

Zu Zu
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:23 PM
Surround it with one of the following perhaps ~ another water tank ~ a circle /round hay bale feeder or some = three fence panels connected together forming a triangle... I use an old round "big Bale" feeder. :cool::D Keeps horses/ponies and husbands from running into the hydrant !~:lol:

KSAQHA
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:30 PM
I have thought about another tank and may have to go with that...it's just that I'm lazy and hardly like cleaning the one.

Can't use anything big or cumbersome, due to the position of the hydrant in relation to the rear barn door.

I was thinking more along the lines of wrapping it in barbwire or hotwire.

...yes, it's quite hot and humid, here.

Zu Zu
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
You don't have to fill the water tank ~ turn it upside down and use it just for protection = like a bumper.

Plumcreek
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
2ways (both involve digging, sorry):
1. Get a six foot section of thick walled pvc pipe big enough to fit over the hydrant head (can use much smaller if you do this at installation). Dig down about 2.5 feet and put pipe over the hydrant and down into the hole, off set so you can hang a bucket over the spout ) and fill the pipe with gravel, fill the hole. Top the pipe with a cap of cement, dome the top.

2. Dig down along the pipe and set a 6" X 6" post up along the back side of the hydrant pipe and secure with C brackets.

The lazy thing to do would be to put a tall garbage can upside down over the hydrant.

KSAQHA
Aug. 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Okay, ZuZu - I'm liking your 'bumper' idea for a temporary fix...as long as the itchy-butts don't start playing kicky-tank with it. They're an idustrious lot.

Plumcreek - Good idea...unfortunately, pvc pipe isn't big enough to fit over the hydrant head. I suppose we could turn off the water, remove the hydrant head, and start digging...but, under the current weather conditions, we're NOT an industrious lot. *sigh*

Oh, and can't use the lazy idea as I have to keep the current water tank bungee-corded to the hydrant, so the water-dabblers don't overturn it.

shakeytails
Aug. 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
My hydrants are all outside of the fence for this very reason. I HATE messing around with broken plumbing. So if I'm understanding correctly your hydrant is just in the middle of a field- no walls nearby? If that's the case, I would fence it off with board fence. A triangle shape would work, it gives you something to secure the water tub to, and you can reach between the boards to turn it on. Fencing does require digging holes of course- and I don't blame you for not having much ambition if you've been getting the nasty heat many of us have been getting.

Zu Zu
Aug. 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
Here it is perhaps :yes: ???? USE old tires and slide several down around the hydrant =-good use of old tires !!! and soft "bumper-car" protection for your horses :cool: - slide enough on ~ all the way up like maybe five tires just leaving the hydrant top exposed --- which you will cover with a longer - type five gallon bucket from the paint store or Walmart. If the horses continue to take the bucket off :eek: then the bucket can easily be secured with one of those "Bong Yong" things = stretchie w/ hooks at each end..:yes: Just tie the "Bong Yong" onto the handle of bucket at the mid-section ~ then hook one end to the right side of a tire and the other hook to the left side of a tire ( of course on the inside middle edge of tire = so horses can not see and pull off your " Michelin Man" sculpture ! :D:cool::lol: Can not believe I typed an entire post in black :eek: -- absolutely against my religion !!!!!:lol:

KSAQHA
Aug. 13, 2010, 06:58 PM
So if I'm understanding correctly your hydrant is just in the middle of a field- no walls nearby?
Although, there are two other hydrants that are in fencelines of the pastures...which I COULD use, but they have no shade...this one is right outside and slightly to the right of the big rear sliding door of the barn. One of the stall runs flanks it about 15 feet away. It's actually in a very convenient spot for hosing off at the hitching rack to the left of the barn door. I keep the water tank right underneath the faucet - no messing with hoses.

I'm mulling over what's been suggested so far - thanks, all!

Frank B
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:41 PM
Whatever you use to protect it, remember that when (not if, WHEN!) you have to replace the hydrant, all that just might have to come out!

IOW, don't make it too permanent!

KSAQHA
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
Bite your tongue, Frank B! We just replaced the hydrant 4 years ago, when it sprang an underground leak.

I'm still leaning towards barbwire...AND hotwire. :winkgrin:

Bluey
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
We had some chimney flues, that are big square clay lengths, that on a diagonal just fit over hydrants and once over the handle, we squared off and filled with sand or old newspapers.
That kept the hydrants protected and warmer in the winters:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Pictures+of+clay+chimney+flues&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=XvZlTKGdNoi8sQOv9KmbDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC0QsAQwAA&biw=852&bih=567

You could call some brick company or builders and see if they have some odds and ends you could use, maybe some with a chipped end.

crosscreeksh
Aug. 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
Of the 8 hydrants we have in pastures, only our aged geldings mess with their hydrant!! What I've been successful with is an empty "lick -tub" (like the size of a muck basket) overturned on the hydrant and the railroad tie post the hydrant is fastened to. I've got two bungies that are fastened to the edge of the lip tub and fence staples nailed into the post. The post is strong enough for scratches and butt rubs and the lick tub covers all moving, breakable, snaggable parts. No problems with it so far...and it's cheap and easy!!

Zu Zu
Aug. 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
We had some chimney flues, that are big square clay lengths, that on a diagonal just fit over hydrants and once over the handle, we squared off and filled with sand or old newspapers.
That kept the hydrants protected and warmer in the winters:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Pictures+of+clay+chimney+flues&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=XvZlTKGdNoi8sQOv9KmbDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC0QsAQwAA&biw=852&bih=567

You could call some brick company or builders and see if they have some odds and ends you could use, maybe some with a chipped end.
I think this is a brilliant idea and will try this ~ thanks for posting and sharing link w/ photos ~ :D:cool: