PDA

View Full Version : STUPID Squash Bugs!!!!

DiablosHalo
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:50 AM
I'm so mad! The stupid squash bugs have invaded. They took out my zucchini in one day and only took one week to take out the 2 squash plants. Fine. It's end of the season- I'm tired of eating squash anyway.

BUT... now they are into my pumpkin plant. I called extension service and they said bc I don't have a pesticide applicator license - there is basically nothing I can do to get rid of them. There are hundreds of them on one plant. If I don't do something today- my pumpkins will be gone and me and dd won't be able to pick pumpkins like I thought this year. :(:(

Any suggestions???

LauraKY
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Have you tried Sevin? Chickens? Guineas? Make sure you remove all the vegetation at the end of the season and burn or properly compost it.

Aggie4Bar
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:14 PM
Sevin. Coat the entire plant in it, especially near the base. Everywhere the main stem branches, bury it. The more places you can encourage root growth, the more likely you'll be to salvage some part of the plant. Someone suggested to me to wrap plastic or pantyhose around the main stems near the base, but that was too much trouble when Sevin seems to work.

DiablosHalo
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:52 PM
Thank you! I have some Sevin and will try it tonight.

I'll be sure to collect all vegetation dead so far and burn it in the bin.

Megaladon
Aug. 13, 2010, 04:44 PM
You could also try using wheat bran or wood ashes :)

pony4me
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:19 PM
Even though there are lots of them, you can physically remove them and place them into a container of soapy water. If you had a time machine, you could start checking your plants earlier in the season. First you will see just a few, and you could remove them before they became parents to lots of baby squash bugs. If you didn't remove them before they mated, you could look on the underside of the squash or pumpkin leaves, and you'd see clusters of eggs. You can remove these eggs by just tearing off the part of the leaf with the eggs and then stepping on it. I have to remind myself to start checking for them early in the season because if I don't, they will win and I won't have any squash. If your plant isn't too badly damaged, you can cut it back some, fertilize and hope it comes back. Good luck!

carolprudm
Aug. 14, 2010, 08:18 AM
I have used good old Bronco horse spray on them.

Safer soap spray also works