PDA

View Full Version : gizzard gifts...

pintopiaffe
Aug. 13, 2010, 10:20 AM
:uhoh: :lol:

Usually it is customary to give the Birthday-ee a gift. However, they have been leaving some for me, apparantly.

T'mow is the IttyBittie's Birthday. (I KNOW! :eek: ) I promise to update their very own thread.

Meanwhile.

I have been finding, daily, these lovely... things.

I actually ended up bringing one into the vet with Malarkey last week, because, although I *believed* them to be gizzards, they could've been related to his issues, since they started appearing, one a day, two days before I brought him in.

Shape & size of a very large kidney bean. Sort of metallic greenish in colour. Filled with... I dunno, and I haven't looked.

Left on a VERY regular basis for me for just over a week now.

:dead: :lol:

Am I to assume that one or more of the Itties has taken to snaking on birds as well as moles & meeces? (as opposed to meeses, which are far too large for even the bravest Itty to take down... )

They are fierce, proud hunters. I've *known* of two birds. Which does not make me happy, but then, I still have to be proud of their prowess, and try not to be sad that one was a baby goldfinch :cry: They ARE doing their jobs well, afterall.

Are they brining in and *leaving* these... bits... or are they... *re-*lieving them?

All are left when I'm either asleep (odd, as yakking and gacking usually wake me... :sleepy: ) or at work.

Do I need to worry? Other than deworming regularly?

Should I be honored that such gifts are left for me?

:sigh:

I'm really NOT a cat person, contrary to the last year's evidence. :no: :lol: :winkgrin:

tikihorse2
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about, although I don't know what they are. My mom's indoor-outdoor cat, Skittles, used to leave them on the backyard walk. I always thought they were stomachs, but I'm not a meese anatomy expert, so I really have no idea.

Skittles was beautiful but lethal. Caught everything she could get her paws on. I'm attaching a pic, since I know you "hate" cats.

I'm so glad to hear we're getting an itty-bitty update! I loff the itty-bitties!!!

Kim

Wraper2
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:39 AM
The main thing I would caution about is if it is bird 'parts' you need to know....

Birds carry a parasite called coccidia, it can be hard to detect.

I raise parrots, have for 30 years. Also used to raise and show Boxers (dog).

One time we had 2 litters born a week apart. At about 6-7 weeks of age they started loosing weight and having bloody loose stool. Vet treated them for a week... swearing it was parvo as nothing else showed on any tests. after 10 days of doing 2 x's daily feacl floats he finally found *A* coccidia. Treated them for it and the pups started improving almost immediately. It turned out that the pups had been getting under the outdoor cages of birds and snacking on droppings. They had first been let out to play at 5-6 weeks and were being left for 20 or 30 min at a time... not totally suprevised. We put fencing up to prevent this from ever happening again. Birds were tested and treated, but vet commented it was carried by wild birds so (since mine are caged outdoors) our parrots could pick it up again.
Just be aware if any of the ittybitties develop weight loss issues, loose bloody stools and no other cause is found... it wouldn't hurt to treat for coccidia!

jen-s
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's been a YEAR?????!!!!!!!!! Already?! How'd that happen? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think you should be appropriately honored and give lots of praise and pats. Granted, the parts and pieces are so very, very, very icky, but in their feline brains, they are showing you that they are earning their keep. But you may want to rethink giving them smooches... :p:dead:

2DogsFarm
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
I think they're gall bladders full of bitter bile.
Not so much a gift as a :dead: BlecchhIckyDon'tEat!!! left behind after one experiment or by instinct.

I am forever finding these little tidbits.
Ms Indy is a Mighty Hunter - I call her The Verminator - but she has taste.

She used to eat voles then hurk them back up - nearly whole.
So I assume they are not flavored to her taste either.

Happy B-Day Itties!!!

tikihorse2
Aug. 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
I think they're gall bladders full of bitter bile.
Not so much a gift as a :dead: BlecchhIckyDon'tEat!!! left behind after one experiment or by instinct.

I am forever finding these little tidbits.
Ms Indy is a Mighty Hunter - I call her The Verminator - but she has taste.

Happy B-Day Itties!!!

Gall bladders! I bet you're right; they're "Ew! Nasty!" and that's why the cats don't eat them.

Are we supposed to be insulted or flattered that these, ah, tidbits are left for us, then? :lol: I was always under the impression that these sort of things were "gifts", but if it's yucky stuff, well... :eek: :dead: :lol:

Happy Birthday, Itty Bitties! May they enjoy many, many more!

Kim

pintopiaffe
Aug. 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
Aww... Tik, LOFF me a purty calico. I had a dilute calico Maine Coon. Devon. She was 'peach & blue' and white.

Of course, I've got four GREY cats now. :lol:

I bet that's right--wasn't *quite* right for a gizzard, and all three vet techs (who, being GOOD vet techs, all wanted to SEE the prize I'd brought in) thought it looked like an organ. The vet himself never looked... the belly tap being conclusive enough... ( :cry: )

And yes, that DOES beg the question now, Gift? Or INSULT???

Knowing mine, they probably equate Icky with some of the OTHER stuff I eat, and therefore think they are doing me a favor.

It HAS cured me of my summertime habit of going barefoot, I must admit.

When I get up for my midnight shift, it is dark, and I rarely bother with much in the way of lights (I am NOT a morning person...) but I am MUCH more careful now than I've been.

More in a bit. I need to update their very own thread with Birthday wishes for the Itties.

atr
Aug. 14, 2010, 12:56 AM
Mine leave them under the dining room table. (Hey, we eat there, they seem to think it logical that they should too. And really, you can see their point.)

I would caution you not to break them open when you pick them up.

Stinky. Not quite so gut wrenchingly, vegetarian-makingly stinky as stomachs, but not far off.

draftdriver
Aug. 15, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yep, likely gall bladders. My herd of kitties likes to eat the heads off their prey first, then clean up the rest, leaving that green blob. Except for Shrews. They won't eat Shrews. I've been told that they don't taste good. I wonder just WHO found that out? :lol:

abbydp
Aug. 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
Ahhhhh I get those left for me all the time!! I couldn't figure out which organ it was. That makes total sense. Happy birthday to them too!!