PDA

View Full Version : Dog liability insurance, any company suggestions?

Lieslot
Aug. 12, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm shopping around for a liability insurance for my greyhound. Anyone can point me in the direction of a good insurer?
I googled, but most companies seem to focus on insuring the aggressive, prone-to-bite dog, which my greyhound is not, he's sweet as pie and actually muzzled when outdoors, not coz he might bite, but because he eats all sorts of crap.
I'm more concerned about me accidentally losing him or him escaping me when possibly chasing some critter (never done so, so far, but he's nevertheless a greyhound) and somehow ending up on the road at 45mph and colliding with a car and possibly damaging the car or injuring passengers.

As the breed is known to potentially chase with little call-back at such time, I figured it would be wise to have separate liability insurance, next to homeowners insurance.

Plus how much coverage to get? Again browsing some dog liability policies I googled, some only offer $100k to $300k coverage, which got me wondering if that's generally deemed sufficient? My horse liability coverage is much higher, I don't see why dog liability coverage should be considered less.
Any companies that offer higher policies anyone knows of.

Thanks mucho!

fivehorses
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
Isn't this kind of liability, horse, and dog covered under your home/farm policy?

I guess I have assumed it is, and if not, I need coverage too!

msj
Aug. 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
I had a friend that worked with one of the greyhound rescues and I understood that you had to have what they considered a greyhound-safe fenced yard before they would allow you to adopt one. If that's the case, why aren't you allowing dog to run within a safe fenced area?

SonnysMom
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:07 AM
I just have it included as part of my home owners. I spoke with my agent about the dogs and the horse. I have a $2.5 million liability rider. I don't remember how much it was but it covered the horse if he got loose, got hit by a car and killed/injured the driver/passengers. It would cover actions by my dogs.

I would check with your home-owner/renter insurance.

GallopHer
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
I just adopted a greyhound and we were not required to have a fenced in back yard. Our girl is walked on leash several times each day and we take her to an appropriately fenced dog park on weekends so she can stretch her legs.

Lieslot
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm having my husband call our HO ins once more, but I understood the dog was only covered up to $300,000.
Which I wasn't sure would be enough say a car & passenger where to be involved.
However husband thinks I misunderstood it and he's only covered $300k for dog-bite liability, but more for non-bite liability.

Sonnysmom, sounds like you have a great HO insurance.
I've got 2 million in a separate equine liability policy, so that I have covered.

Msj, no, one does not need a fenced-in yard to be allowed to adopt a greyhound.
When allowed to run around, he's locked in my pasture when the horses are not in there, so that's okay.
But the unexpected is often just around the corner. At present I have family members visiting for 3 wks, whilst they know to keep doors closed so he doesn't wander off outside, it actually happened over the weekend that he slipped outside without me being aware of it. By the time I figured out he was outside he may have been out for more then an hour. I went outside screaming for him, he came instantly and nothing much had happened other then him going in search of horsemanure -puke- in the barn. But you don't know what could have happened at such a moment, this is what got me wondering about canine liability.

Interesting thing I just found out, is that taking out an umbrella policy could provide an additional $million in cover for the dog over what the HO ins already provides, so rather then canine liability, perhaps an umbrella policy is what I need.

msj
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:58 PM
Msj, no, one does not need a fenced-in yard to be allowed to adopt a greyhound.
When allowed to run around, he's locked in my pasture when the horses are not in there, so that's okay.

Interesting thing I just found out, is that taking out an umbrella policy could provide an additional $million in cover for the dog over what the HO ins already provides, so rather then canine liability, perhaps an umbrella policy is what I need.

My girlfriend did the same by letting her greyhounds (she had 5) run in the no-climb fencing of her horse pasture, :) She also fostered some when they came back from the track as she had cats, other dogs, a couple of kids, horses and goats! Also, you're in NJ and I'm in western NY so requirements may be different depending upon the greyhound club. :)

Usually a million dollar umbrella policy is pretty reasonable, I think mine is $80/yr.

Good luck with your greyhound. They are truly beautiful and graceful dogs. :)

Guilherme
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm shopping around for a liability insurance for my greyhound. Anyone can point me in the direction of a good insurer?
I googled, but most companies seem to focus on insuring the aggressive, prone-to-bite dog, which my greyhound is not, he's sweet as pie and actually muzzled when outdoors, not coz he might bite, but because he eats all sorts of crap.
I'm more concerned about me accidentally losing him or him escaping me when possibly chasing some critter (never done so, so far, but he's nevertheless a greyhound) and somehow ending up on the road at 45mph and colliding with a car and possibly damaging the car or injuring passengers.

As the breed is known to potentially chase with little call-back at such time, I figured it would be wise to have separate liability insurance, next to homeowners insurance.

Plus how much coverage to get? Again browsing some dog liability policies I googled, some only offer $100k to $300k coverage, which got me wondering if that's generally deemed sufficient? My horse liability coverage is much higher, I don't see why dog liability coverage should be considered less.
Any companies that offer higher policies anyone knows of.

Thanks mucho!

First question: what is your coverage now? Generally "dog induced losses" are covered under standard Home Owners Insurance (or Renters' Insurance). Read your policy and see what, if any, restrictions on coverage exist. Then talk to your agent/company about removing the restrictions.

Second, what are you liability limits? You don't need to post them here ;) but are they adequate in general? If the dog is covered up to the polity limit then you might be better off, premium wise, to just up your present limits.

Or, as some have suggested, add an Umbrella Policy.

There are some potential problems with having a separate coverage for the dog. First, in the event of a loss, you will be dealing with two different companies. That is always a hassle from the insured's standpoint.

Second, specialty companies make money by not having to pay claims. They do this will carefully worded exclusions and conditions. They also will sometimes make themselves "secondary" to other payors. For example, their policy may state that they are not liable until underlying coverage limits have been exhausted. Or have very slow payment/claim settlement practices.

Third, premium levels for specialty coverages can be quite high. I won't call them all "scams" but some raise my eyebrows.

All in all I'd not have an additional policy if there is any way I could get the coverage I needed under my existing homeowners policy.

Time for a talk with your agent, maybe?!?!?! ;)

G.

P.S. This is one time where a real agent will be much more helpful than Flo. :lol:

Guin
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'd be very cautious telling your homeowner's company that you want more coverage because you're afraid your dog is going to cause injury to a person. Insurers have been known to cancel policies outright because of "dangerous" dogs in the home. Not saying a greyhound is on the list, but if the dog is over 90 lbs, it may qualify as a liability.

I did read the OP, and I know you are not saying your dog is aggressive. However, insurance companies are NOT known for the ability to see shades of gray!

Lieslot
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thx Guin, I agree with you, this is also why I posted here to find out what other dogowners have in place.

He's not on the dangerous dogs list, which insurers seem to list as being German Shepherds, Pitbulls, Terriers, Chows, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Huskies, A. Malamutes, wolf hybrids and a few more (would have to check), but in the end any and anyone's dog can potentially be a danger to a 3rd party, big or small, friendly or not.

Whilst insurance should be the last answer and training, better obedience and control is the first answer, who'd dare to say that they will never ever lose full control of their dog, or have their dog do something that may potentially harm someone. Hence I want peace of mind.

Stupid personal example, a year ago my mother-in-law was walking with her friend who was walking her german shephard on the leash when dogsy made a 180 degree spin when he suddenly spotted a cat behind them, mil got knocked off her feet coz her friend held onto the leash but at the same time the dog pulled her with her on top of my mil. Result mil had a fractured shoulder and needed surgery. These are things that can happen to anyone with a dog.
And eventhough my mil did not want to go after her friends insurance, my mil's health insurance DID go after her friends liability insurance. Luckily it didn't strain the friendship.

I will dig up the HO ins policy this weekend & read through it, before making more calls. I'm getting wary of the specific canine liability insurances, like Guilherme described.
I think an umbrella policy will be the way forward.