PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for stall cleaning.

K~2
Aug. 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
Would love to know what everyone wears on their feet for cleaning stalls.

I've been wearing tennis-type shoes, but I'm finding the urine has a tendency to eat through the soles pretty quickly.

shakeytails
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:29 PM
I wear Crocs.

Eventaholic
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:57 PM
I wear Crocs.

Gross. No seriously. Not only are they not safe, but eww. Please do the ER staff a favor if you're going to insist on wearing inappropriate barn shoes and wear something that wont allow all of the soiled shavings and manure to actually get into your shoe.

OP- what kind of tennis shoes are you wearing, and how many stalls are you mucking? I usually wear my Hunter wellies to muck, but wear my Converse/converse knockoffs a fair amount as well.... and those babies are going strong! Maybe I need to do more messy mare stalls.... hmmm.

I really like my wellies... I basically live in them, they're comfy, keep my feet dry and clean- and tough enough to keep the lazy fat Morgan from destroying my feet too much when he can't be bothered to get off of them. Plus they make me feel like a cool kid. That part is super important.

fordtraktor
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
Flip flops for the most part.

I don't ever step in soaked bedding. It gets removed daily (while I'm standing on the dry stuff!).

And I clean the stalls when the horses are out. Nothing unsafe about that.

In_
Aug. 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
I enjoy my Ariat Terrains

I love my Ariat Barnyard Lace boots though

I would go with the Terrains if you do a lot of walking
The Barnyards are TOUGH and heavier.

shakeytails
Aug. 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
Eh.... I don't, as a rule, step in manure or urine. It's a whole lot easier to pick it up with the fork or shovel when I'm not standing on it.:yes: And I bed on sawdust, not fluffy shavings. Generally if I get anything IN my shoes it's from walking down my sawdust aisle. I'm not particularly accident prone either- it's been years since I've been stepped on and unless you're wearing steel toes, boots really don't help much with that anyway. Yes I do clean stalls with the horses in, I'm not 'skeerd. There's only a few things I don't do in Crocs- I won't handle a stallion for breeding, mess with foals, or drive the tractor in them. I won't ride either- they don't fit in my stirrups and if bareback they like to fall off.

I don't feel the need to feel like a "cool kid", my horses are well mannered enough not to step on people and even if they weren't- I'm smart/quick enough to keep my feet out from under theirs.

Wayside
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:00 PM
Generally I just wear my rubber boots, though I've been thinking about getting some of the shorter ankle ones, since the tall ones do get rather hot.

LOVE*MY*NAGS
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
Crocks - its cleaning up after my own horses, not a boarding barn.

mpsbarnmanager
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
Flip flops for the most part.

I don't ever step in soaked bedding. It gets removed daily (while I'm standing on the dry stuff!).

And I clean the stalls when the horses are out. Nothing unsafe about that.

Me too.

Sugarbrook
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone: I can tell you exactly what to wear.

CLARKS MUCKERS. Go on www.ebay.com and type in Clarks Muckers. I buy them off ebay for my barn staff and we all wear them. Not only are they the most comfortable shoes I have worn (I can wear them all day) but they are waterproof and just plain wonderful.

I buy them used, mostly, and the used ones are like new. Sometime I get them new. Watch the ebay and get them when you see them going for about 9.99. DO NOT buy the ones that are selling for 40.00 or more. Watch and wait and you will get a bargain. The ones I normally find, new NOT on ebay sell for about $120- 130.00 so obviously they are great quality. Be bargain shoppers and you will love them. I do admit that I did pay about 18.00 for one pair. LOL

SLW
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:39 PM
Ariat Fat Baby's. Easy on, easy off and foot protection from hoof and poop. ;)

shakeytails
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:42 PM
Sugarbrook, those look so comfy! How do they run size-wise?

slight
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:50 PM
Mid length muck boots from TSC. Heavy rubber, easy off and on and comfy. They can be a bit hot but I only have five stalls to clean.

Wayside
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:00 AM
Sugarbrook, those look so comfy! How do they run size-wise?

Oooh, do tell. I may have to keep an eye out for those, but I have really short wide feet.

For clarification, it's not usually the stalls themselves that make me want my rubber boots on. Most of the stables I've worked at have had manure piles in spots that tended to collect water. Good because there was little or no run-off from the manure pile, but lots of wading through poopy slog getting in there to dump :lol:

Foxtrot's
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:36 AM
Muckers.

BCEVENTER
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:45 AM
Add me to the flip flop/croc list! I'm so glad I'm not the only one... ;)

Zu Zu
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
NEW BALANCE TENNIS SHOES = comfortable and durable ~ IMHO ~

In the winter insulated L.L. Bean "duck shoes" ~ three heights depending on how deep the SNOW is - slip on moccasin ; lace up and then taller slip on mid-calf ~ waterproof ~

cyndi
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:37 AM
Sperry duck shoes. Completely waterproof. They also last for years. Can NOT imagine cleaning stalls (even just my three!) in Crocks or flipflops.

CB/TB
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:37 AM
Most of the year I like the "mucker" type slip ons. I just got a pair of low cut Boggs that are pretty comfy, although i wish they came in half sizes. In winter I have tall fisherman's boots. They are insulated and I can be out for several hours before my toes get cold. I just have one horse at home, so my chores don't take that long. i never could wear "flip flops" for whatever reason. I like my crocs for gardening.

ChocoMare
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
For 3 seasons, Ariat Terrains. For winter (like slight), the Mid length muck boots from TSC.

PRS
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
I wear rubber clogs....not crocs but sloggers. http://www.amazon.com/SLOGGERS-Womens-Garden-Footwear-Clogs/dp/B0002DJMYK

msj
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Redpack or Blundestones. In winter the LL Bean wool-lined like this only just pull on and not zip. When I went to their website they don't seem to make the pull on anymore. :( Hope my current ones last a bit longer.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33159?parentCategory=503433&feat=503433-tn&cat4=503425

I like to keep my feet warm, dry and protected. I'd never were flip/flops or crocs or even sneakers.

jawa
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:52 AM
If I'm doing a quick mid day cleaning (at most 1 poop and wet spot in each of 6 stalls) I just stick with what ever I wore to the barn. I board at a barn near my house, and if I'm out running errands, or on my way back from errands, I'll stop in and pick stalls.

If I'm cleaning the 6 stalls that haven't been touched all day, I wear my garden shoes. If it's winter, I have a pair of Wellingtons with a liner.

All the horses in the barn know to move to the edge of the stall when I go in to clean.

Luckydonkey
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
Add me to the flip flop team, lol.... during dry weather- late spring, summer, and early fall...once it starts raining I slip on muck boots and wear those. And it is just my own barn here at home- so only 2 horses, and soon to be just 1.

SmartAlex
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hunter now makes a wonderful little ankle height wellie clog. I kick off my flip flops, and slip into the Hunter clogs. They're pretty expensive as far as rubber clogs go, but I love them!

2DogsFarm
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
My Target-brand running shoes lasted 5 years and then it wasn't the soles that went, it was the fabric that just gave up.
I still mourn them, they were comfy in all seasons (if not waterproof).

Now I have insulated pull-on rubber boots for Winter.
I lust after the Boggs & Muck brand, but just cannot make myself cough up $80 or more for barn boots.

For warm weather I have a pair of rubber clogs which are 5yo and probably dead soon. Also a pair of those water shoes - the fabric/rubber slip-ons people wear wading.
They breathe some, so are cooler and can be hosed off when they get disgusting.
I paid $5 for them at K-Mart this year.

Um, Eventer - WTH is disgusting about stepping in manure or wet shavings & getting it inside your shoes?
Geesh!
I assume you can wash off somewhere eventually & change into clean footwear.
It's not like soiled stall cleanings are toxic :no:

But then, I am one of those who picks up "apples" barehanded to toss into the wheelbarrow...

Arab/WBGirl
Aug. 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
I wear my Ariat Cobalt zipups to ride/clean/groom/go to the feed store/get hay/generally anything horse or barn related. They are waterproof, very supportive and comfortable, and I LOFF them!! Last pair I had were pull on's, waterproof and lasted 5 years through many, many stalls, baths, mudholes, streams, pastures, riding, etc. Big Thumbs Up for these paddock boots.

OkLurchers
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:01 PM
I wear Muck brand ankle high jod boots--I think they're called middies(?). I wear them for everything except riding--mucking, washing, grooming, bringing horses up from pastures to barn, etc. Well worth the $$--they last forever & are warm in winter & cool in summer. My Ariat paddocks last much longer now that I've gotten careful about not wearing them to muck/wash in. I saw that Ariat now has something comparable. Anyone know how they wear?

katie+tru
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:11 PM
Back in the winter I got a pair of off-brand Wellies from Dover. Thank goodness, because they came right before that 2 1/2 feet of snow dropped. They were warm and waterproof, obviously. I wore them until about May when they just became too warm. I didn't like have my socks wet with sweat. lol In the summer now I just wear tennis shoes. I have tennies that are designated barn shoes so I don't care if they get wet, dirty, coated in shavings, etc.

CB/TB
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
2DogsFarm, I won't pay a lot of money for barn shoes,, either. I did snag the low Boggs from Smartpak for $29- on sale. Not many sizes left and no half sizes when I did order. I had to order size 7, which will be fine for the summer with no socks,, but may be a squeeze later on. My fisherman's boots are $19.00 and they usually last me a few years of poop and pee and can take a nice thick sock.!

RacetrackReject
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:14 PM
I wear a rubber clog by LaCrosse (well known for hunting boots so I hear). Sadly, mine are dying after 3 years. Well, the boot itself is fine but the ring around the ankle/back of heel that seals the clog to your foot is coming loose from the shoe. I love those things. These are like the ones I have, but mine are navy. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=abd6508d-1b3c-4b7f-882a-f0be33ffabbd

I'm glad someone posted about the Hunter clogs as that is what I was thinking of getting to replace these. I had bought the current clogs on sale from a local store that no longer carries them.

Add me to the list that thinks it's gross to wear Crocs to clean stalls. I don't wear unsuitable shoes out to my barn, period, and it's at my house..lol. Yes, I know you can wash the crap (literally) out of your shoe, but still, there are worse things in crap than just what you see. I hope you people deworm yourself regularly.

Huntertwo
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e074bb-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

These are very nice for the price, plus free shipping. High enough to keep the bedding out, but comfy enough for hiking, riding, and every day use.

They last forever too.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
You flip-flop guys scare me - ever had a squashed toe, or do you like the feel and smell of squished manure and urine? Guess I'm too dyed-in-the-wool Pony Club.

PRS
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:52 PM
You flip-flop guys scare me - ever had a squashed toe, or do you like the feel and smell of squished manure and urine? Guess I'm too dyed-in-the-wool Pony Club.

Many of us who wear less than adequate footwear to clean stalls do so while there are no horses in the barn. My horses are let out of the barn for the day first thing in the morning right after they eat their morning feed. Neither do we stand on the dirty parts we are cleaning....and in my case I always clean the barn in the morning....right before my morning shower.;)

fordtraktor
Aug. 13, 2010, 04:44 PM
Ditto PRS. Plus, I think it is a testament to how clean I keep my stalls that I am willing to tidy them in flip-flops on a daily basis. If you are standing in urine your horse is too -- gross.

Auventera Two
Aug. 13, 2010, 05:25 PM
Flip flops or Ariat fatbabys, depending on the season. My horses are all very neat and only go in one spot in their stalls so it's easy to walk into the dry shavings, pick the dirty stuff and walk out. If you have stall trashers, that would be a different story. All urine and poop is in a back corner or along the wall so there's nothing dirty to walk in. And of course the barn aisle is matted and swept and it's clean.

Though the other day I was cleaning stalls and noticed that Le'Sorna had gone under the fence and was in with the geldings. I went out to get her in, and she ran over my naked foot and broke a toe. I've been in misery for a week but it's my own dumb fault.

Sithly
Aug. 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
For those of you on facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=193583&id=196692248644&ref=mf

LEL
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ick. Sithly, a little warning next time, perchance? I wasn't prepared for that. Gross gross gross.

I wear my Ariat boots every day to clean stalls (Fatbaby or Blackwater depending on my mood.)

Huntertwo
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:35 PM

Ouch!!!!! Are those her bones showing???

Also scary is the Animal Planet show "Monsters Inside Me" Some pretty funky parasites can enter through your feet.... :eek:

shakeytails
Aug. 13, 2010, 09:59 PM

Now that's ugly!

But really, unless you're wearing steel toes (and no, a horse can't crush them) no average boot is going to save your foot if a horse decides to stand on your foot and twist -you probably wouldn't have the skin peeled back, but it will still do damage. My crocs probably give just as much protection as a pair of sneakers and not much less than a pair of paddock boots. And if a horse were to just catch the tip of my toe- I could easily slip my foot out.

I wouldn't recommend Crocs for most people for barn wear- but they work for me and several other people I know. Now flip-flops make me cringe, mainly 'cuz of the skin-tearing aspect and I just hate them in general- I can't stand something between my toes!

BestHorses
Aug. 13, 2010, 10:13 PM

AGGHHHH! That is disgusting - wish I hadn't clicked on that. I was expecting a pic of barn boots. :)

The pony clubber in me cringes at the thought of flip flops or crocs. Even the Merrill hiking shoes I wear in the summer are a little less than ideal coverage for me - sawdust still creeps in the tops. In winter I wear Wellies or my ancient insulated rubber boots.

I'm thinking of trying the ankle/calf height Wellies for summer but they might get too hot.

LaBonnieBon
Aug. 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Ditto PRS. Plus, I think it is a testament to how clean I keep my stalls that I am willing to tidy them in flip-flops on a daily basis. If you are standing in urine your horse is too -- gross.

I'm a flip flop wearer, too! I like your comment about how we have very clean stalls. I just need to add that I have very well behaved horses, too. :yes:

NeedsAdvil
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:16 PM
I have handled (my) horses in flip flops, but as a general rule, I always have something in my car or tack room that is more appropriate should I need to handle one. For cleaning stalls? I wear whatever I have on...paddock boots, wellies, sneakers. Not all crocs have the holes in them either, there are all different models. I do tend to spray off whatever shoes I am wearing before leaving the barn, esp if a stall was nasty w/ urine. It seems to help prolong the life of the shoes.

K~2
Aug. 14, 2010, 02:48 AM
Well thanks all for the responses!

While I love how comfortable my crocs are, I'm not too keen on wearing them to clean my stalls. We bed with straw, so having pokey bits in my shoes is pretty irritating.

I would really love to find a good steel-toed workboot, but I have a wide foot, and find that most pinch.

LMH
Aug. 14, 2010, 07:29 AM
Why steel toed to clean stalls? You got some heavy poo around them parts?:lol:

K~2
Aug. 14, 2010, 09:44 AM
Why steel toed to clean stalls? You got some heavy poo around them parts?:lol:

No heavy poo here :lol:, but I also work with youngsters, stallions, and broodmares, so foot protection at the same time would be nice.

barnmaven
Aug. 14, 2010, 10:40 AM
I have foot issues, so I'm very picky, and need to be sure I have excellent support. I loved "Muck Boots" for years. I put inserts in them and was happy, happy, happy. Sometime last year they changed the fit of them. I tried 3 different pairs. My husband found similar issues in the men's sizes. My new favorite is the "Merrell's Jungle Moc"

http://www.rei.com/product/658515?preferredSku=6585150730&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-6585150730&mr:trackingCode=F85A2B7B-4101-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Wayside
Aug. 14, 2010, 01:12 PM
I would really love to find a good steel-toed workboot, but I have a wide foot, and find that most pinch.

Military surplus maybe? I used to be in the Navy, and when I was in supply actually managed to wrangle up a pair of men's 5 1/2 wide flight deck boots for me, so I know they make them. I loved those boots, wore them for years until the leather started cracking on the sides. Super sturdy and comfortable, and as a bonus, they had enough of a heel that I felt comfortable riding in them, too.

shakeytails
Aug. 14, 2010, 02:51 PM
It's probably the pokey straw that's wearing out your tennies. Anyway- for steel toes I usually got mine at Wal-mart; they'd last just as long as the $100 boots from the boot store. Depending on their selection at the time, sometimes I'd end up with men's boots because they're wider. While my normal footwear is "unsafe", if I'm handling a stallion for breeding or working with youngsters that have little training- I don't hesitate to put on the steel toes. I really don't notice them being much heavier than any other boot or shoe.

LauraKY
Aug. 14, 2010, 03:35 PM
Summer - mucker slip ons, Winter - anything warm and waterproof!

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:34 PM
I clean my 3 stalls with the horses out and usually either wear my older Sketchers or lately my Sperrys b/c they are easy to slip into without socks when its 110 degrees outside. If it has poured and everything is really wet/muddy, I have some rubber boots.

My stalls are super easy to clean (most of the time 1 poop pile per stall, MAYBE 2 in my mares NO PEE) and I use the super fine shavings that are like saw dust and I have mats and a concrete aisle.

I CANNOT go outside in flip flops and stand where dirt or grass or other particles may get into my shoes! EW. Creeps me out. Esp if its WET GRASS. Gah... touching my feet?! Cant do it.

the_other_mother
Aug. 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
Muck boots or an old pair of Ariat insulated/waterproof paddock boots :yes:

Bluey
Aug. 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e074bb-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

These are very nice for the price, plus free shipping. High enough to keep the bedding out, but comfy enough for hiking, riding, and every day use.

They last forever too.

You made my day.
I used to have some of those, that I wore until they finally fell apart.
They were wonderful for most anything I needed to do.

Now I know where to get them.:cool:

high hat
Aug. 15, 2010, 12:28 AM
I My new favorite is the "Merrell's Jungle Moc"

http://www.rei.com/product/658515?preferredSku=6585150730&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-6585150730&mr:trackingCode=F85A2B7B-4101-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I wear these http://www.landsend.com/pp/AllWeatherMocs~130683_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BFT&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009__0000000917&origin=index

I have been buying them for years and have them in every good color they come in. Cheaper then the Merrells at $34.50.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 15, 2010, 01:33 AM
I wear the cheapest brand of "sneaker" on sale at either Wal-Mart or Target. The pair on my feet right now I bought yesterday for a whopping 12 bucks. They last about 6 months before becoming totally disgusting, so let's do the math - cost about 7 cents per day for foot wear, so I don't have a problem with tossing them out.

I'm not a fan of flip flops unless I am at the beach, but that is just me.

For riding, always boots.

msj
Aug. 15, 2010, 09:10 AM
I wear these http://www.landsend.com/pp/AllWeatherMocs~130683_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BFT&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009__0000000917&origin=index

I have been buying them for years and have them in every good color they come in. Cheaper then the Merrells at $34.50.

I love these shoes and LL Bean makes a similar moc. for about the same price. I live in these for regular street wear and when they finally get beat up enough, they do go to the barn at least in spring thru fall. No good in the deep snow we get here though come winter. :D

katie+tru
Aug. 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
To all the people freaking out over not wearing full shoes/boots:

I have always worn "real" shoes in the barn my whole life. Never stepped into the barn, let alone a stall in flops.

Got my toenail pulled clean out this past spring while wearing rubber boots.

It is then I learned that even the most common barn footwear will not save you from a hoof stepping on your foot and sliding just so. It was a total freak incident. The boots were not damaged and my foot itself was not hurt at all.

However, I am not endorsing flip flops either. I feel like that's really just pushing it. Atleast around horses. If you're completely alone go barefoot for all I care.

MistyBlue
Aug. 16, 2010, 09:30 AM
I avoid any footwear in the barn, stall or around horses that might cause my foot to be degloved or that will cause my feet to be absolutely disgustingly grungy. (plus I'm not a fan of getting hookworms)
And yes, I also have nearly immaculate stalls. But it's a rare day that I can put on a pair of shoes, do stalls and never ever need to go anywhere else on the property or come in contact with a horse.

In summer I use either Muck Tack Classics that I roll down or else Merrels. (I'm a big fan of anything I can step into and walk off in, LOL)

In winter it's Mucks...either Tack Classics or Brit Riders. Warm and dry as heck, comfy like wearing slippers outside.

However...when I bought the Tack Classics I was happy to see the tread wouldn't pack in the bedding and track it all over and not thinking about traction. Tack Classics in snow are like wearing grease on your feet, LOL! The Chores are a much better boot for snow or slippery footing. Or rock driveways that slope down. (I've skidded down that too)

However I'm checking out the new Wellie Ranch boots they make...and also may look into the newer Arctic Pro or Arctic Sport Limiteds. (same as the Arctic Pro I think but they come in some wild colors!) The Brit Riders are great for riding as well as barn chores or just as snow boots, but for riding you do need to use wider stirrups to fit the boots in easily.

Mucks can be a little hot on really hot summer days, but I have found that the mid heights boots when rolled down let in a lot of air circulation. And they're good for stopping a hot flash...I just turn the hose on inside each boot and let them half fill with 45 degree well water. Stops a hot flash cold, LOL! (cools your whole body down too)

msj
Aug. 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
Mucks can be a little hot on really hot summer days, but I have found that the mid heights boots when rolled down let in a lot of air circulation. And they're good for stopping a hot flash...I just turn the hose on inside each boot and let them half fill with 45 degree well water. Stops a hot flash cold, LOL! (cools your whole body down too)

MistyBlue, I'm about 1/2 tempted to try that! About the only time I wear my muck boots is when I'm bathing a horse or dog. I may just have to wear them more often. Might even get a pr for the house! :lol:

hitchinmygetalong
Aug. 16, 2010, 09:50 AM

Here you go! (http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1182) A bit pricey, but no worse than some of the "equestrian" boots I see. Plus they are made in the USA!

If you look on the right hand side of the page, you can search boots by type and gender. Have fun window shopping!

suzyq
Aug. 16, 2010, 09:57 AM
Summer - mucker slip ons, Winter - anything warm and waterproof!

This, except I add insoles into whatever I'm wearing for extra support.

CatOnLap
Aug. 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
Well, I finally wore out the Blunnies I've had for 10 years, which I usually wear in winter. Now they have cracked holes near the soles and will no longer hold water... In summer I wear my worst pair of running shoes- I buy good ones for my old crippled feet that have been stomped more times than I remember, so I have one newer pair for regular indoor and city walking, a second older pair, for walking the dogs and trails, and the third nearly falling apart grungy pair for cleaning the barn- when the horses are already turned out.

WTH is disgusting about stepping in manure or wet shavings & getting it inside your shoes?
Geesh!
I assume you can wash off somewhere eventually & change into clean footwear.
It's not like soiled stall cleanings are toxic

Umm- stepping in wet shavings and squishy manure may not kill you quickly, but its just ickey, and yes toxic. Think pathogenic e-coli, staphylococcus, streptoccocus, and tetanus. Hookworm in warmer climates. Even if your stalls are immaculate, sometimes you have to take that wheelbarrow out to the pile and dump it- and most piles do not have a freshly swept walkway on the way to dumping...
Thanks but I prefer not to walk around with my barefeet coated in bacterial soup. Nor to have to take a shower to wash my feet every time I clean a barn.

Mozart
Aug. 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
Summer: Blundstones with ortho inserts.
Winter: Muck boots.

JoZ
Aug. 16, 2010, 04:24 PM
Think pathogenic e-coli, staphylococcus, streptoccocus, and tetanus. Hookworm in warmer climates.

Really? In a rare infected barn or the average barn?

I get a bit tired of always protecting against the POSSIBLE as opposed to the LIKELY.

I also am a rebel against the over-sanitization of America. I think we are jeopardizing the establishment of a strong and robust immune system by over-stressing the germ situation. OMG that commercial that warns about the germs on your hand-sanitizer dispenser! Makes my head spin right round.

Anyway, I digress. I have hot miserable feet and I wear crocs in the summer for all barn chores. I am very careful to keep my tetanus immunization up to date. I will hose my feet off periodically and I'm careful to scrub them well in the shower, but I would prefer to be comfortable and careful (around mess and around horses) instead of overly vigilant.

Huntertwo
Aug. 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
You made my day.
I used to have some of those, that I wore until they finally fell apart.
They were wonderful for most anything I needed to do.

Now I know where to get them.:cool:

LOL...Aren't they great! I have had only 2 pair in 10 years and I wear them a lot!

The price is fair, plus the free shipping. You can't go wrong...:)

purplnurpl
Aug. 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
my own 3 horse barn

flip flops.

I have run out to throw in feed barefoot from time to time.

shakeytails
Aug. 16, 2010, 06:24 PM
I get a bit tired of always protecting against the POSSIBLE as opposed to the LIKELY.

I also am a rebel against the over-sanitization of America. I think we are jeopardizing the establishment of a strong and robust immune system by over-stressing the germ situation.
I agree completely! The kids that tend to get sick are the kids with moms that buy anti-bacterial everything and aren't allowed to get dirty.

I have run out to throw in feed barefoot from time to time.
You too, are a rebel! :lol::lol::lol:

kookicat
Aug. 16, 2010, 06:55 PM
I always wear boots. Never really thought about it, just stick them on and off I go.

JackandMo
Aug. 17, 2010, 12:16 PM
Usually, especially in the mornings, I just wear my jod boots, but that's ONLY because the grass is wet from the morning dew and I don't like wet feet. In the afternoons though I might wear the jod boots or flip flops. I've been cleaning stalls long enough and I am smart enough not to step in poop and urine. And of course, since we clean the stalls 2x a day, they are generally clean. For those of you stepping in urine, clean your stalls more and you won't have that issue. In the winter or bad weather, I wear rubber boots.

I've had most of my toes broken, and it doesn't deter me from continuing to wear flip flops. I've cleaned stalls and ridden barefoot too. I got kicked in the ankle wearing boots, and the boot didn't save me the pain.

I was in the USN and I would NEVER wear steel toe boots around horses. If stepped on just right, it could cause serious damage to your foot.

CatOnLap
Aug. 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Really.
In the average barn or soil.

Another place I would NEVER wear bare feet? A hospital.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 17, 2010, 02:49 PM
...and I would not put my pets on the floor in a vet hospital. Crazy or sensible, I don't know.

nileac
Aug. 17, 2010, 09:50 PM
Keen makes a fantastic boot-shoe that appeases my anti boot fetish in the summer. I hate anything over my ankle from may through September. Ems carries them as well as any online outdoor store. As for the winter, it's all about the Neos. Often over top of my ll bean sheepskin slippers. Can't beat the warmth and comfort:)

LaBonnieBon
Aug. 20, 2010, 11:14 PM

I have not caught any coodies from being on my own farm in flip flops, but I did get ringworm when I was at Equine Medical Center (Morven Park) for an extended stay with my horse. I was in shoes and shorts everyday, no flip flops.

TobysMom
Aug. 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
I wear Timberland Chochorua Trail Hiking Boots. I work at a boarding barn and clean 18 stalls every day. They're waterproof so great for walking thru wet grass to bring the horses in/out to the pastures. In the winter, I wear Columbia insulated boots, nice and toasty without being too heavy. Both are really comfortable for the miles I put on my feet every day. Each run about $90-100 per pair. I can get by with one pair of Columbias per winter and one or two pairs of the Timberlands thru the rest of the year.

lcw579
Aug. 21, 2010, 06:00 PM
I agree completely! The kids that tend to get sick are the kids with moms that buy anti-bacterial everything and aren't allowed to get dirty.

You too, are a rebel! :lol::lol::lol:

Another rebel here.

I agree with the above and in the summer I am usually in flip flops around the barn. Ponies are out for the most part so it is mostly picking fields and feeding. Unless I am riding (I think I remember how), trailering or at a pony club event (they frown on flip flops) I like to be comfortable.

Vesper Sparrow
Aug. 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have wide feet and bunions.

I lust after these (have their tall boots and love them):

http://www.equitector-usa.com/product_detail.cfm?cat=2&product=30

but bought the Ariat Barnyard slip-ons with elastic gore instead--got them on sale. They were the most comfortable of the Barnyards.

Both the Barnyards and Equitector are steel toed.

equineartworks
Aug. 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
I picked up a pair of Ariat Ridge Tawny's at TSC in May for like $20. LOVE THESE SHOES. So much cooler than mucks for the summer. I wear them for sessions, out and about...love them. They have neoprene at the top so if you step in a pile you save your socks :lol:

Otherwise I wear Wellies

FoxChaser
Aug. 24, 2010, 10:43 AM
I just bought a pair of Bogs Matties (http://www.planetshoes.com/ItemDesc.aspx?gc=6190&attrib=177&Tp=) to wear in the summer. They are cute and keep the shavings out since they are fitted around the top of the boot. I'm going to see if they have a manly version since my husband is now jealous :)