View Full Version : HELP! birds eating tomatoes

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:00 PM
We've had our garden 5 yrs, and last year the birds started eating our tomatoes. And they're back at it this year! I did a search and didnt see anything specific in the forum...

I have heard putting pinwheels or shiney streamers on & around the tomato plants deters the birds so we tried that this year, to no avail. I haven't picked a SINGLE tomato off my plant that hasn't been munched on!

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:01 PM

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:06 PM
bird netting

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Sgray- while I would love a cat to rid me of my bird problem... my coonhounds would rid me of the cat :( I'm alergic to cats anyway though, so the coonies get their way.

SmartAlex, is the netting easily found at Home Depot/Lowe's? Or something I'd have to order on-line? I dont think I've seen it in HD or Lowes before, but then again I've never looked for it...

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
Netting is cheap and easy. I don't have to use it on my tomatoes but I would have lost my entire strawberry crop without it.

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:32 PM
If you have a nursery or garden center around, they probably stock it. Lowes or HD probably do, but this late in the season they could be out of stock. I rarely run around town looking for stuff, I mail order most things. I got my bird netting here:

Aug. 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
A lot of times,, birds and other animals bite into tomato fruit to get water.
Put a birdbath near the garden and see if that helps.
Scarecrow with some loose clothing that will blow in the wind will help in the garden itself.

Aug. 12, 2010, 01:41 AM
I found bird netting at Home Depot.

Aug. 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
My dad has had this problem and swears the only thing that really works is picking the tomatoes before they have the slightest tinge of pink. He then wraps them in newspaper, puts them on the counter in the house and they ripen just like they were on the vine. Can't tell the difference when you eat them.

Aug. 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
Got to Lowe's (unfortunately my home depot didn't have this product) and get some bird netting. It is in the outside gardening area where they have the dog fencing stuff.

I have my blueberries covered with this stuff. The result I have been able to pick 7# of berries just about each time since July. Got lots frozen.

Aug. 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
Tomatoes will ripen in the dark. You can wrap them in newspaper or put them in paper bags. My mother does this in the autumn when she pulls her vines and she has been known to eat tomatoes through November and sometimes in December. To me they do taste different. I like my tomatoes vine ripe in hot temps with just the minimum amount of water. But them I am admittedly an heirloom tomato snob and I'm as picky as you can be about the taste of a tomato. ;)