PDA

View Full Version : Broody goose problem

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
Caveat-this is not my farm or my goose-I'm just a boarder.

The barn has some resident geese. One of them has decided to nest in an area of the shedrow where I had some hay stored. As far as I can tell, she hasn't moved in weeks, to the point where people have put food and water within reach. Also as far as I know there have never been any eggs. I disturbed her the other day and she's trying to sit on a plastic container!

She looks healthy enough but I feel so sorry for her-does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do?

(Edited to add-I can't really tell them apart so I don't know if she moves, just that every time I've been there she's on the nest.)

leilatigress
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
If they want more geese they could buy her some fertilized eggs and have her sit them. I would suggest chicken eggs but am not knowledgeable enough about geese to know if there would be that much of a difference. When I did raise chickens I had a couple of hens that were awesome sitters to the point they would steal other hen's nest to sit the eggs. If they don't want more geese you could removed the object of her sitting (plastic container) and mess up the nest. Depending on the bird she might actually mourn the loss of the nest which can get interesting.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
Taking the "egg" she's sitting on may not discourage her & she'd probably just replace the nest if you trashed it or find another place to brood.

I speak from the standpoint of a newbie chicken owner who is going into month #2 with a broody hen.
:sigh:
My gal is prefectly content to sit on nothing, bogarts the eggs everyone else lays (because she has selected the "best" nestbox to brood on) and is obstinate about sitting in it to the point where I have found 3 of them piled up in that box.

The Pros (on BackyardChickens.com) tell me I can try breaking her by putting her in a wire-bottomed cage with food & water but w/o nesting material. This could take at least a couple days or more and may need to be repeated if she goes back to broody.

Apparently when hens/geese/ducks get the Directive from the Mothership, they will brood until they decide not to.

scheherazadetbmare
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
You do know that fowl can get "egg bound" and have an egg caught up there? You have to get it to come out.

Brooding chickens and geese are grumpy. They deserve some space. If she has no eggs, then remove the plastic container and she'll find something else to do if she is not egg bound. Tell BO to check and see if an egg is caught up in her. If so, then vet can remove egg. If not, you can buy her some fertile eggs to sit on and hatch and then she'll be busy when the eggs hatch. It's getting late in the summer to have eggs hatching though.

this is based on my experiences with the chickens and geese and guineas and turkeys of my great grandparents and grandparents and my own pet chickens when I was growing up.

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 11, 2010, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't the goose be sick if it was eggbound this long?

I did remove the plastic container, hoping it would discourage her, but no luck.

No one wants more geese. They poop all over as it is. But I guess it might be worth a try to find a fertile egg.

fivehorses
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
When this happened to my goose, I just kicked her off her nest, destroyed it, and made it so she couldn't go back there. I know it sounds mean, but at the time, there were no males around, so the whole thing was moot.
Plus, she was a sitting goose for a coyote.

They can be mean, so you have to be careful, but they will move off, and then close the doors or block the entrance or put stuff where she was nesting to make it impossible to 'sit' there again.

Good luck. Or, you can let her sit, and she will for months until she gets bored or something in her brain clicks to move on.

birdsong
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
[quote=fivehorses;5030317]When this happened to my goose, I just kicked her off her nest, destroyed it, and made it so she couldn't go back there. I know it sounds mean, but at the time, there were no males around, so the whole thing was moot.
Plus, she was a sitting goose for a coyote.

Just take her "egg" and it will pass. I have peacocks and I prefer they don't multiply so I do this yearly. As for the food and water...birds know when to get off the nest for their needs.

Bells
Aug. 11, 2010, 09:38 PM
You might have to take her "egg" several times. Mine finds coyote melons to sit on and I think I had to kick her off 4 times this summer. It was actually nice when she was nesting. The boys were much nicer and didn't feel the need to protect her unless I went near her nest.

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:57 PM
Well, of all the things-when I went out there tonight she was walking off with the other geese. Slowly and a little stiffly, but heading for the pond. So I guess the phase is over. I was also surprised to find out I can tell them apart once I looked a little closer.