PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Fireworks: Look UP!

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:10 AM
The Perseids are up and running nicely already, but peak nights are Thursday and Friday.

I saw five tonight, in just 10-15 minutes. I'm a little early, best viewing is after midnight, and I was out just before. I'm going to go out again in a bit, just before going to bed.

Tomorrow night, weather permitting, I plan to plunk the air mattress down and hang out there for awhile, since sadly I have to work Thurs and Fri from midnight to 08. :(

Viewing this year is going to be awesome, as there is just a sliver moon. 50-60 an hour predicted at peak.

They're pretty impressive. Worth setting an alarm.

MDHorseGirl
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:01 AM
Wow! Thanks! I heard that Thursday night, at least from where I am in Ohio, there is supposed to be a 3 planet alignment over the moon. Wish I hadn't gotten so allergic to mosquito bites =( I'll have to figure something out!

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:33 AM
DEET is your friend. ;)

Go to the hunting/fishing section at WallyWorld and get the Sportsman's Spray.

Luckily skeeters are one of the easiest bugs to keep off.

Miraculously, they don't seem to be out right now. I'm headed back out to see if I can catch a few more to wish on...

twofatponies
Aug. 11, 2010, 07:43 AM
LOL! Several years I have gone outside, stood there looking for a while, seen nothing I could identify as a meteor, got tired of swatting bugs, and gone back in. Everyone swears it's a great show! We have too many trees around maybe.

Polydor
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:27 AM
aww love the august meteor showers but don't think we get the big show down here in Australia ... or do we ??

Anyone know?

P.

Zu Zu
Aug. 11, 2010, 09:16 AM
WoW :cool: ~ thanks for the " HEADS UP ! " :D :lol:

fivehorses
Aug. 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Any particular direction to look Pintopiaffe? I missed our show of the northern stars a few weeks ago, so would enjoy this.
thanks.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
Polydor, I found this:
For observers in the Southern Hemisphere, the Perseid radiant never climbs above the horizon, which will considerably reduce the number of Perseid meteors you are likely to see. Nevertheless, on the night of maximum, it is possible to see 10-15 meteors per hour coming up from the northern horizon. I know that even in Antarctica they were able to see the big Aurora show on the 4th, so perhaps there is hope.

Fiveh, Last night, I was out just before midnight, and again around 0130, and I am VERY NorthEast (like, almost as N'east as you can get in the US!)

I was gazing, by default, SouthEast. All but one of them were almost in the middle between horizon and straight up (my neck hurts too much to look straight up for very long. :p ) And they definitely ALL travelled from east to south.

The info says they come from the NorthEast... but my light pollution is also to the North, so perhaps that's why I see them more Easterly, travelling to the south? But they are also pretty plentiful, and I think if you just have a good dark sky (I can see the wash of the Milky Way) and have let your eyes adjust at least 15 minutes (Last night I never turned the lights on when I got up around 2330) then you have a really good chance of seeing a few, no matter.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:42 AM
adding this link--

Most user friendly, though I LOVE the Space.com and the NASA sites too. ;)

http://www.examiner.com/x-8054-St-Louis-Astronomy-Examiner~y2010m8d7-Its-Perseid-Week

Frank B
Aug. 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
aww love the august meteor showers but don't think we get the big show down here in Australia ... or do we ??

Anyone know?

P.

It's a relatively broad peak, so you should be good to go. These are fast-moving meteors, AKA "blue whizzers". Here's the details: (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/about/pressreleases/100141169.html)

If you look directly into the radiant, you may occasionally see what appears to be a stationary point of light that flares and dies in 2-3 seconds. That means that sucker was headed straight for you!

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have to amend my directions a wee bit... I guess they were shooting from N'east to S'east mostly.

Skies are clearing, forecast is for temps in the 40's and clear. (which is awesome--no fog, no haze, NO BUGS!!!) I am going to bed soon, setting my alarm, and have a sleeping bag and the air mattress ready to go lay on the lawn with Eamon and watch the show.

Does wishing on a shooting star count when it's a meteor shower??? :confused:

;)

Frank B
Aug. 12, 2010, 06:46 AM
As long as you can speak the entire wish while the meteor is visible.

We're fogged in this morning, and forecast is for clouds for rest of week. Hope somebody gets to enjoy the show!

2DogsFarm
Aug. 12, 2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the reminder, pp!

I will be at the County Fair tonight to watch the Draft horse show.
The Headliners - 6-horse hitches -come on late, usually after 9P.
So I s/b up around midnight or I can take a "disco-nap" and then soak myself in DEET, grab a lawnchair & go out to my pasture to watch with the horses ;)

Around here the Perseids seem to come from NE.
Last night was crystal clea, keeping fingers crossed the t-storms forecast for tomorrow don't change that.

fivehorses
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:08 AM
I looked out a few times, but didn't see any. My view though was towards the western sky, and a bit towards the north. So, based on where you were seeing them PP, they were behind me.

I hope everyone's wishes comes true.

slight
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I'm sitting here on the computer playing and need to run outside........(bye!)

appaloosalady
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
Just came in from laying on the trampoline in the backyard with my oldest daughter. The viewing was awesome until the clouds moved in : ( Hoping for clear skies tomorrow night.

Kairoshorses
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:52 AM
The whole family went out and laid on the private runway at the top of our hill. AMAZING! They supposedly all come from the direction of Perseus (for us, that would be north/east), but we saw them all over the sky.

AND we had a great conversation about if we had to send 300 people up in a spaceship to start all over again, who'd we send? What would be the rules? etc. Very interesting to see how 12 and 13 year old boys figured these things out.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 13, 2010, 02:25 AM
Some of the best conversations ever had in my lifetime have been contemplating the absolute mindboggling amazingness of Nature. :cool:

I am trapped in a very light polluted city. All Night. :(

I was out around 22:30-2300... but only saw one--musta been headed straight at me, was just a bright purple sort of blip. Kinda cool.

FalseImpression
Aug. 13, 2010, 02:42 AM
I just spent 45 minutes on my back deck (in the city, but I have a fairly dark sky) and I saw quite a few! I may go back in a little while and hopefully see more.

poltroon
Aug. 13, 2010, 04:06 AM
We saw some spectacular ones as well. It was a great night to sit out as a family and watch the show and talk and be together quietly. And it's wonderful to be able to have gorgeous dark skies outside on our own driveway.

horsepoor
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
We stopped for a bit after our barn night check last night to watch. Great view and saw quite a few, but lacking a good spot to recline to watch, had to give it up as our necks were killing us! Will try again tonight but plan better -thinking a chaise lounge will be useful.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
:D I saw a good handful - sometime between 11p & midnight.

One or two OMG! streakers & a good number of WhatWasThat! flashes.

I managed to offend the barncat - who was not happy about my DEET-soaked self (BTW: DEET Rocks! not a single skeeter bite all night!).

Also scared the horses who came out after their tuck-in snack of hay & horse cookies to see me :eek: Sitting in a Chair! In the Pasture!!!

Kouma first - who immediately had to go roust Sam and then both had to run laps in the pasture before going back into their stalls.

I kept wondering what the display looked like to people in planes...