PDA

View Full Version : Spin off from the manure spreader threads.... What about ramps for them?

SMNG
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have seen lots of threads regarding manure spreaders, but I wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for some sort of ramp (to push the wheelbarrow up in order to dump it) for those spreaders?

I have seen some barns using nice aluminum ramps that can be easily moved to another spot if needed. A wood ramp would probably be too heavy to ever move to a new location if needed.

Are there any good websites to find these ramps at? The only ramps that I can find are ramps for the back of a car. Thanks!

shakeytails
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:22 PM
I figured a ramp would be too steep to push a full wheelbarrow up; my spreader sides are about 3 1/2 feet to the top so we use a muck tub. Might work if you have a smaller spreader. Try TSC for aluminum pickup truck ramps- they're for loading lawnmowers and such into PU trucks.

The best set up I ever saw for a spreader was many years ago at a farm I boarded at. One end of the barn had a pretty steep exit out one end. They built a deck to one side of the door with a not-so-steep ramp to the deck and parked the spreader under the edge so that when you dumped a load, it hit center of the spreader. It worked great!

carolprudm
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
I use a muck tub instead of a wheelbarrow.

Because my spreader is ground driven rather than PTO it is easy to hitch up. Right now I am pulling it with a golf cart but I used to use a lawn tractor. I park it in the barn aisle, clean a few stalls, move it farther on down the aisle. When the spreader is full I can put 4 tubs in the back of the golf cart. I can do my 10 stalls this way.

Since it has been so hot and dry this summer I have been composting the manure but when I am spreading it I spread it daily

Just do not forget to disengage the beater until you are ready to spread the manure:eek:

SmartAlex
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:43 AM
The thing I hate most about spreaders (and there are a lot of things ;)) is ramps. We use muck buckets or clean directly into the spreader as we drive it down the aisle. Alternatively, if you have a loader on your tractor, you could clean into that and dump it into the spreader (much easier than wrestling a muck tub).

To have a decent ramp that is not going to kill or maim you, and stand up over years of use, you will have to engineer and spend about as much as you would putting a small deck or wheelchair accessable ramp on your house. If you have a bank that could be engineered so the spreader is driven into a low spot, and the wheelbarrow is on the level, that's your best option.

So, what's wrong with ramps? They're slippery and dangerous. You run the risk of running the barrow off the side and having to reload it, or having it run back down the ramp at you, skinning your shins and covering you in muck.
Even if all goes well, the sheer force of wheeling a loaded barrow (and let's face it, we all overload) up a steep incline and dumping it will wreck your back. Muck buckets are safer on a ramp, but you still have to wrestle them.

If you do go the ramp route, be sure you figure out a non slip surface. The longer and lower the slope the better, and you will need some sort of flat landing to at least sopt and dump your load. The larger the better.

And a foot note: Where ever you put your ramp, a concrete pad to park the spreader on is a great idea. You will invariably lose at LEAST 10% of the muck over the sides. It's easier to clean off a concrete pad than gravel or grass.... or, of course MUD.

P.S. I hate spreader ramps. :lol:

pony grandma
Aug. 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Agree - better to make a low spot to run the spreader into and unload above. 110%++ :yes: all the reasons already made.

Haf N Haf
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
My BOs have their spreader stuck into this "ditch". I'm not sure if it's man-made or not. The ditch is open on one side where Mr. BO can use a tractor to pull it out. I know it can get stuck when it's super wet. The "ditch" is probably around 3 foot deep...but you still need a ramp. The ramp is wood. The angle is still a bit steep and I'll be honest, it scares the crap out of me! And yes, I've fallen in more than once. :lol:

SMNG
Aug. 11, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies!

We are not going to have a ramp right away, I was just curious about them. Thanks for the help!

I am still trying to find some out some information on some aluminum ones though just to have as a reference. If anyone has any links to websites with them, please let me know!

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 12, 2010, 12:16 AM
IThe best set up I ever saw for a spreader was many years ago at a farm I boarded at. One end of the barn had a pretty steep exit out one end. They built a deck to one side of the door with a not-so-steep ramp to the deck and parked the spreader under the edge so that when you dumped a load, it hit center of the spreader. It worked great!

We had the same setup at the boarding barn where I used to board my horses, and the only flaw it had was that there was no "curb", so tipping the wheelbarrow was a challenge, and we would occasionally dump the wheelbarron in with the muck, that was always fun trying to get it out without falling in.

In the winter they would but the spreader in the indoor to keep it out of the snow and ice, and we would put a muck bucket into the wheelbarrow and then clean into the bucket and then dump it from there.