PDA

View Full Version : Delta Society et al: getting certification?

pintopiaffe
Aug. 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm interested in getting certifcation (?) for Eamon to go visit nursing homes and possibly hospitals.

He's about 90% complete the "Good Citizen" dog requirements. We have to work on down/stay and recall. (which of course go hand in hand. ;) )

I also think this is a great place to start with getting my Wounded Warriors program going...

But--I don't know WHERE to start.

Delta Society? Somewhere else? A local trainer will do the Good Citizen test for the dog. I figure we'll need a few lessons...

But I'd like to expand it, into horse therapy as well.

I've been using horses with children of families in the homeless shelter system and special adults for more than a decade. I'm certified as a Special Olympics coach. But...

Where do I start?

Anyone?

JSwan
Aug. 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
pinto - I looked into this for my evil beagle.

I contacted the therapy/volunteer coordinator at the local hospital who put me in touch with the right folks.

Bluey
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:30 PM
Our local performance dog club has programs to certify thru both, Delta and Therapy International, along with AKC programs like the CGC.
The reason we work with both groups is because one hospital requires one, the other the other group, just the way things are here, so we work thru both groups so we can have our members help at both hospitals and nursing homes, etc.

You could ask the AKC what clubs are affiliated with them in your area, as they may also, like ours, be set up for therapy certifications.

Or just look for dog clubs in your phone book, ask groomers and vets, etc.:yes:

bdj
Aug. 11, 2010, 10:40 AM
Can't speak to the Delta Society requirements, etc, but I had my big guy tested by Therapy Dogs International (TDI) - link to their testing info page here: http://www.tdi-dog.org/HowToJoin.aspx?Page=Testing+Requirements

Their test is based on the CGC, but has several extra tasks (dog has to be fine with kids, able to do a "leave it" if food or pills are dropped, be OK with wheelchairs/IV stands/O2 tanks - basically any kind of medical equipment that could be attached to a person). I'm sure I've forgotten some of them - it's been quite awhile since the big dog got tested. Once the dog has passed the testing, you have to have them vet checked within a specific amount of time, and you have to complete a specific number of hours annually to maintain the certification. (Big guy passed the test, but I didn't follow up on the rest of the stuff - I really just wanted to see if he could do it, and a local training club was hosting the testing.)

I think that JSwan had a good idea in going to the places you'd want to volunteer at, and asking what they require/want - that way, you don't spend time and money fulfilling the TDI requirements only to find out that the local hospital requires dogs to be certified with The Delta Society or Pets on Wheels. (Especially since TDI says that TDI certified dogs are not allowed to be certified with another therapy dog organization - I suppose that's due to insurance issues, though I don't know how stringent they are in enforcing it.)