PDA

View Full Version : A discussion about LGDs, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Root Beer
Aug. 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
A cougar took my favorite goat two months ago. I acquired an Anatolian Shepherd, Timber. Now, I love that dog, but he only focuses on HIS goat and not so much on the rest of my herd. Before I spend $2000.00 on another puppy, I'd like to hear about other LGDs, why you love them or why you don't. Do tell!

BCEVENTER
Aug. 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
I house sat for some people for 6 months, and got to know all their animals as if they were my own.
Titan was a Maremma. He knew to protect his goats and horses. He lived with the horses in a huge gravel paddock that he had a dog shed attached to where he could go in to get out of the weather. The goats lived in a separate paddock, but we still never had any issues with any wildlife.
Unfortunately Titan barked at everything and had a pretty nervous disposition, which lead him to bloat 3 days before his owners got home. He was still under two years old.
I would without a doubt recomend a maremma. They shed like the no tomorrow and have a tendency to jump fences (was fixed with an electric fence barrier collar), but while the neighbours had issues with cougars, bears and coyotes, I never saw anything but his big, white, goofy face. Even though I he wasn't mine, I miss him everyday!

hastyreply
Aug. 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
I had a great Pyrenees and was adopted by a stray. I ended up rehoming both of them to a goat dairy. It's been almost a month now. I have had a couple of reports at first but nothing lately. So no news is good news. They had a few bumps in the road that were not unexpected. I told them as much as I could about the 2 dogs and their quirks. I wanted to rehome the stray who was VERY unsocialized and therefore difficult to handle and felt he would have an easier time with the other dog.

GPs come in 2 types one type patrols and one stays and guards . They have taken on these rolls in their new home as well. How you would tell in a puppy which they would be I don't know.

The two things I can say for sure about GPs is they bark... A lot. That is their number one defense. Esp at night. (marking their territory with LARGE piles of poo is another defense). The other thing is they can get out of anything IF they so desire. They can climb, or dig through most anything. So keep those things in mind.

That in a nutshell is what I know about LGDs

MelanieC
Aug. 10, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have working Border Collies and therefore know lots and lots of folks with sheep and LGDs. The best bet is to buy an adult dog that is already known to have the working characteristics you desire. If you buy a pup you have to be absolutely certain you introduce them to the stock the correct way, part of which involves discouraging them from interacting with and bonding with you, which can be heartbreaking because what's cuter than an LGD pup?

There are probably Yahoo email lists you can sign on to for information about LGDs Most of the LGDs I've known (Maremmas and GPs for the most part) will woof at strangers and in times of danger (i.e., coyotes) but are pretty quiet the rest of the time. A good LGD will protect his WHOLE flock. Sometimes they work well in pairs.

Anatolians tend to be more aggressive than the big white fluffy guys and do better on larger acreage in more sparsely-populated areas. My friends who live back in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions and keep sheep on smaller properties tend to have the big white fluffy guys for this reason. They are more human-friendly than the Anatolians and don't usually patrol quite as far.

Root Beer
Aug. 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
I had a great Pyrenees and was adopted by a stray. I ended up rehoming both of them to a goat dairy. It's been almost a month now. I have had a couple of reports at first but nothing lately. So no news is good news. They had a few bumps in the road that were not unexpected. I told them as much as I could about the 2 dogs and their quirks. I wanted to rehome the stray who was VERY unsocialized and therefore difficult to handle and felt he would have an easier time with the other dog.

That in a nutshell is what I know about LGDs

I'm quite familiar with the pros and cons of the major LGDs. I have great fencing, I don't have a coyote problem, I need a dog that will keep cougars at bay. The Anatolian I have now doesn't bark unless there's something worthwhile to bark at, and that I love about him. But he wasn't raised right, he and his goat were raised in a large-ish kennel together. So my big Anatolian Shepherd is only concerned with protecting HIS goat, not the whole herd that I have in my pasture. Hence my questions about LGDs. I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, and since I have had an Anatolian I'm rather sold on the breed. I'm shopping for a puppy, and since they're rather expensive pups, I want to make the best choice and not have buyer's remorse down the road.

carolprudm
Aug. 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've had two Pyrs. The second had to be rehomed abruptly when I broke my ankle shortly after I got her but the first was great, protected goats sheep and above all HIS horse, my 37 year old gelding. He laid down and died a few weeks after we had to put the gelding down.

The only time he would leave his herd was when I went riding (on a younger horse)

MelanieC
Aug. 10, 2010, 08:54 PM
I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, and since I have had an Anatolian I'm rather sold on the breed. I'm shopping for a puppy, and since they're rather expensive pups, I want to make the best choice and not have buyer's remorse down the road.

Sounds pretty simple then. If it must be a puppy, make sure it's from a good working (not show) breeder and imprint it correctly on the entire goat herd this time. Should work fine.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hi, Melanie!:) I clicked on your link and saw the pic of you and Fly. I remember you from the BCBoards - I was (am) painted ponies over there.

OP - sorry I don't know anything about Anatolians. Everybody I know either has pyrs or maremma.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 11, 2010, 12:54 AM
Anybody have experience with Lamas for protection of livestock?

tle
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
Right as I moved into my last boarding barn, there was a situation with the llamas. She had 2 in the paddock with a couple of foals she had just weaned. Hubby's 3 white GSDs went after the foals and the llamas did their job! Unfortunately a little too well for the llamas... they got between the GSDs and the foals. One foal needed a couple stitches but the other was unscratched. Both llamas were too hurt to survive. The GSDs left within 2 days (not soon enough IMHO but at least they left).

SGray
Aug. 11, 2010, 09:54 AM
...., I need a dog that will keep cougars at bay. The Anatolian I have now doesn't bark unless there's something worthwhile to bark at, and that I love about him. But he wasn't raised right, he and his goat were raised in a large-ish kennel together. So my big Anatolian Shepherd is only concerned with protecting HIS goat, not the whole herd that I have in my pasture. Hence my questions about LGDs. I need a big bad-ass dog in my pasture that will protect ALL my babies, .......

are you sure? as in, have you lost any of your other goats to cougars since you've had the Anatolian?

movo
Aug. 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Saw this ad today ---looking for home for Anatolian, but it is in Florida.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/pet/1895564246.html