PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for new to me truck? New England and beyond

Rabbit351w
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
It's finally time to get a new (to us) truck :D Problem is, we can't find ANYTHING that fits our, admittedly fairly specific, criteria. We are in CT, but are willing to consider something pretty much anywhere, although the closer the better. We have checked autotrader, bargain news, most of the ford truck forums, ebay, etc., in addition to most larger ford dealerships around. Anyone have any other suggestions about places to search for 3/4 or 1 ton fords?

IFG
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:38 PM
I found my 1999 F-250 on Craigslist in 2006 (I think). Went to NH to get it. I was very happy. Still am in fact. Hope saying that doesn't jinx it.

mvp
Aug. 10, 2010, 05:35 PM
Can you get more specific?

Top money to spend?

In gas, either the V8 or V10 would do? Diesel (and only the 7.3?) or will you risk a 6.0? Towing only or driving around, too?

Must have 4WD?

Things other than Ford?

You'll take either a 3/4 or 1-ton? I assume 3/4 will be enough. Is that wrong? If a 1 ton, will you take a dually?

How long a cab? How long a truck?

I can't tell you where to look yet, but I have looked in your neck of the woods. I have studied up on a few and driven some in my pursuit of a replacement for my Methusalah-aged pre-Powerstroke 7.3L. If she weren't cotton pickin' immortal and originally dirt-cheap to boot, my standards would be lower.

mvp
Aug. 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
Can you get more specific?

Top money to spend?

In gas, either the V8 or V10 would do? Diesel (and only the 7.3?) or will you risk a 6.0? Towing only or driving around, too?

Must have 4WD?

Things other than Ford?

You'll take either a 3/4 or 1-ton? I assume 3/4 will be enough. Is that wrong? If a 1 ton, will you take a dually?

How long a cab? How long a truck?

Do you have a trusted mechanic whom you'd like to use for a PPE exam? Or are you willing to forego that? Does "Certified Pre-Owned" as dealers offer satisfy you?

I can't tell you where to look yet, but I have looked in your neck of the woods. I have studied up on a few and driven some in my pursuit of a replacement for my Methusalah-aged pre-Powerstroke 7.3L. If she weren't cotton pickin' immortal and originally dirt-cheap to boot, my standards would be lower.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
My friends and owners of the barn I used to board at when I was in CT actually bought a beautiful truck here in FL and drove it home. The husband claims the cost was 10K less than what he would have paid for the same truck in CT.

http://gibsontruckworld.com/

When I was first in the market for a good pre-owned truck, I gave my mechanic the specs and a price range, and he went to the auctions for me and found the perfect truck. Now, that is what I call customer service. That was in CT.

Rabbit351w
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone, our ideal truck would be:
7.3 diesel (our current is a '97, so we are hoping for as new as possible before the 6.0 which is the first half of '03), F350, 4x4, supercab, 8' bed, single rear wheels, 100K miles or under

One of the big problems we are running into is rust. DH will only buy fords, but these late models are just rusting out so fast, especially with all the salt on the roads up here. We have ruled out a dozen or so that otherwise fit the criteria, but the amount rust is just unacceptable.

at this point, the search has been fruitless, so now I'd take an F250 and/or a 6.0 diesel with similar miles or even newer V10 with much fewer miles. 6.0 would have to be cheaper since hubby would replace the head bolts with studs before they became a problem. still must be 4x4 and 8' bed. I'm towing a 2horse steel frame/aluminum skin trailet w/ dressing room.

MunchkinsMom- thanks for the link, I will check them out, we are looking that far away since we haven't found what we want, and those southern trucks have NO rust!

GoForAGallop
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:27 PM
One of the big problems we are running into is rust. DH will only buy fords, but these late models are just rusting out so fast, especially with all the salt on the roads up here. We have ruled out a dozen or so that otherwise fit the criteria, but the amount rust is just unacceptable.

As a big Jeep Cherokee fan (and, as they were discontinued in 2001, the youngest you'll find is nine years old) I know a lot about rust, and I wouldn't necessarily rule out an other-wise perfect vehicle because of some rust, depending. Provided that the actual frame is not rusted, some "surface rust" (even holes through the body) is really no big deal for a good auto body place to repair. Under a couple thousand for the typical Ford truck rust that I'm thinking of. So perhaps consider using the rust as a bargaining tool, and see if you can't get the price of some of the local trucks down to (price + rust repair) being less than the no-rust southern trucks.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:28 PM
How about this one in Litchfield:

Pre-owned
$31990
2006 FORD F350 SUPERCAB LARIAT
P/U, 37200 miles, Stock #:U18083
LITE STONE/BLACK, 6.0L V8 DIESEL, 4X4, tan leather captain chairs, power group, tilt/cruise, 3.73 limited slip axle, FISHER snow plow, CD, ABS, remote keyless entry w/door code, power driver seat, chrome step bars, power sliding rear window, bedliner, tow pkg w/hitch, alloy wheels, all terrain tires, reverse sensing, FX4 OFF ROAD pkg, privacy glass, brake controller, trailer tow mirrors, fog lights,

You can find it on this website:

http://www.litchfieldfordct.com/cgi-bin/inventory/inventory.cgi?New=Pre-owned

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
They have even more on the second page of the site I just posted.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
Might want to try this site also:

http://www.getauto.com/browse-cars-type.php/pickup/ct/

Use the search feature, I found one in NY that might be what you are looking for:

http://www.getauto.com/vehicledetail/adid-21108265/2003/ford/f-350-super-duty-xlt/liberty/ny

Hilary
Aug. 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ford had a paint/rust problem in '99 and into the early 2000s so you are likely going to have issues with this area. Not that you can't find a good truck, but my '99 had a serious rust issue by 2001 because the paint hadn't bonded to the metal properly.