PDA

View Full Version : Horses on sheep pasture

cvl
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
We are looking at a small farm(8 acres) in SC that currently has @ 10 - 15 sheep in the grass pastures. Are there any concerns we should be aware of with putting horses in these fields? The sheep will be moving with the owner ~ should we decide to purchase the property.

CB/TB
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
Don't know if this holds true with sheep, but my goat vet says having the horses and goats together helps reduce cross contamination( parasites) and I shouldn't have to worm as often. Would you be moving horses onto the property immediately?

craz4crtrs
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
We raised sheep for years and they shared or were rotated pastures with our horses all the time.

The great thing about sheep is they will eat the tall grass horses won't. They also eat along fence lines :yes: and between the sheep and the horses, the pastures stay looking really pretty.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. :winkgrin: I liked not having to mow the pastures as much, too. Kidding aside, no problems having horses and sheep on the same pastures.

MNewbie
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
I second craz4ctrs. We too had sheep for years and had no problems what so ever with shared pasture. Lots of little poops to help fertilize too!

Elizabeth

pj
Aug. 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
One nice thing we found when we had sheep was the horses would eat where the sheep pooped and the sheep would eat where the horses pooped. :D
I liked that. No more tall rank poop grass.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 10, 2010, 04:44 PM
Our racehorse friends had sheep/horses in rotation and said there was no cross contamination of parasites. You do have to have good fencing though, but obviously since they have sheep it is good. Best thing is they do all the weedeating around the fence posts for you. We had sheep for a while and their little feet don't cause damage where the horses cause footprints, and the poop is evenly spread around in little pellets.

Thomas_1
Aug. 10, 2010, 04:50 PM
I frequently graze sheep with horses. It's great complimentary grazing. Sheep can keep the grass short, break worm cycle and they don't have anything detrimental to bring to the party.

Aside from the fact they need much better fencing and often sheep netting or wire which can be not good for horses feet and legs.

My sheep are all in fields where there's hawthorne hedge on the field side and then wire on the other side of the hawthorne.

So horses can't get to the wire and sheep which can push through anything get stopped by the wire and netting.

cvl
Aug. 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
Would you be moving horses onto the property immediately?

In the "perfect world" ~ yes! :) Unfortunately, we have this house to sell prior to our moving.

Thomas - she has no climb fencing for these sheep - perfect for us too!

With all of your comments on the complimentary grazing between horses and sheep - maybe we should ask her to leave a few behind ;)

Thanks for all your responses! I can now check this off the "worry list"!