PDA

View Full Version : &$*(&$ Flies! Tried everything.. Sigh..

Loves to ride
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I've tried everything.

I have 2 horses, 1 dog and live in Massachusetts.

Until 2 weeks ago, the flu situation was fine. Almost none.

I havea fly predators.
I use Simplifly (and have since March).
Pick the paddocks and stalls 2x a day.
Remove my manure pile from the property 2x a week.
No decaying material that I know of.
I have fly strips.
I have those horrible stunky fly traps.
I wash feed buckets immediately after horses are fed and put outside the barn to dry.

And..
I STILL HAVE FLIES.
Not terrible but at the annoying level and getting worse.

We've had drought and 30+ days > 90 degrees here (not typical for the area).

Argh!

Called Spalding who was great and made some minor suggestions and sent an extra 5000 bugs.

But, what the heck am I doing wrong and what can I do differently?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! My horses will thank you as well. :D

Laurierace
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
About a month or so when it got really hot all the flies came inside the barn and have not left. I have taken to spraying raid everywhere that I can and it hasn't even made a dent. I fly spray mine and kick them outside because there are definitely less flies out there. So I am no help but you have my sympathy!

IFG
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
I found these great fly traps at home depot (a bag that you fill with water), they have really helped. I hang those next to the manure cans (I haul it away). I hang fly paper in the barn.

I also have a fan in the stall, and that blow most flies off the horse.

I saw no difference with the fly predators, but I live in a swamp, and I do remove the manure.

IFG
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
I just realized that you may have already done the traps, but the fan really does help.

jherold
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:31 AM
Do you live near another farm that does not practice good anti-fly management? They may be coming over from there. In which case, you're out of luck!

CB/TB
Aug. 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
I do pretty much what you do: feed a feed-thru,garlic, hang fly traps, keep manure picked, etc and I still have to spray the girl. I also have a stall mister- and have just started using a product called "Flyswatter" in the stall and sprinkled around. It has diatomaceous earth , so kills larvae. Smells pretty good, too. Nothing we do will get every single species of fly, so we have to live with what we get. This spring was early- and rainy, so the fly population came early. Funny, but I see a decrease in flies right now- noticeably. However, a friend jokes that thye'er just getting ready for a "shift change"! Maybe they all died of heat stroke- like the rest of us are feeling! Anyway,, keep swatting them suckers and we'll soon be complaining about ice in the buckets!

suzyq
Aug. 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
About a month or so when it got really hot all the flies came inside the barn and have not left. I have taken to spraying raid everywhere that I can and it hasn't even made a dent. I fly spray mine and kick them outside because there are definitely less flies out there. So I am no help but you have my sympathy!

This is what I am having problems with since about 2 weeks (even though it's been hot for quite some time). All the flies are in the barn near the floor. I spray every morning near the floor with pyrmethrin spray but they're back the next morning. They aren't going into my traps outside, which usually do the trick. I have to put my horses in during the day due to nonsweating so i just keep spraying the stalls. I think I'll look for the flyswatter stuff.

AhORSei$Ah0R$e
Aug. 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
I do fly predators, as well, but also put up those hanging bag fly traps, and those help enormously. You need to experiment with where to place them for optimal effectiveness, but with both systems, it's under control.

As for spraying raid in the barn :eek: I would never spray a toxic poison around animals.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
Is there a fan that is safe to run outside? Not to mention the logistics of getting electricity down to the run-in, but my horses are miserable.

FairWeather
Aug. 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm giving up on my fly predators because I don't think they are working out.
BUT! I swear by these things:

they work, I promise:
http://www.country-vet.com/images/products/32-1962CV.jpg

While they don't completely eliminate flies, they are seriously reduced.

1 or 2x a week, I take the water/feed buckets out of the barn and spray this stuff in each stall--I literally have NO flies.
Now, I'm probably killing the environment, but I have no flies!!
http://www.country-vet.com/prod_details.php?prod_id=4

Laurierace
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am a meticulous stall cleaner. When I am done you could lie down in them yourself. I clean them at least once per day. I am finding piles of manure with maggots in the stalls. That means that particular manure pile is at most 24 hours and one minute old assuming the horse pooped as soon as I put him in the clean stall. I have never seen anything like it in my life, its mind boggling.

LauraKY
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
In addition to all the other great suggestions, try closing the barn doors on the sunny side. Most flies don't like shade.

GallopHer
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Knock on wood, Simplifly feed-thru is working for me. Hardly any flies at all in my barn. My neighbor also uses this same feed-thru, thus eliminating "visitor" flies.

oldpony66
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:35 PM
Is there a fan that is safe to run outside? Not to mention the logistics of getting electricity down to the run-in, but my horses are miserable.

I know they make solar powered attic fans... maybe not exactly what you want but I'm sure something could be fashioned to run off solar power within reason to the run-in.

I have electricity in my run-in and I keep the fan blowing on high for the horses and it REALLY helps. Plus I strategically hang a stinky trap just outside the run-in (out of horse's reach) so the flies get blown toward it. It fills up within a couple of weeks and I have to replace it frequently. Honestly, between that and fly predators I don't have much of a fly problem compared to most places but my horses are becoming sissies about the flies, I don't think they realize how good they have it :lol:

BestHorses
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm having the exact same problem in southern CT. Two weeks ago the flies appeared out of nowhere despite traps, picking, etc. Thankfully my latest shipment of predators just arrived so hopefully that will help. I also need to hang a fly strip or something in the barn to catch them. They really seem to be congregating in one east-facing stall that gets sunny.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:42 PM
1 or 2x a week, I take the water/feed buckets out of the barn and spray this stuff in each stall--I literally have NO flies.

YES!

This stuff works like Majick!
My shoer told me about it - he uses it in his truck & at clients' farms.

I spray directly on my horses, using a sponge sprayed with the CVD-80 for around their eyes & ears. I also spray my manure wheelbarrow and use it as a premise spray.

When I run out I can tell the difference in about 2 days.

Best of all it's cheap - down to $9.99 at TSC this year for the 18oz.
That size lasts me a week or more for 2 horses & the barn.

If my horses weren't out 24/7 I'd get that timed sprayer for the stalls.

deacon's mom
Aug. 12, 2010, 06:20 AM
Haven't had a fly since installing it. With these 100+ degree days, my horses are quite comfortable under their fans with not a bug in sight!

Summit Springs Farm
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
Haven't had a fly since installing it. With these 100+ degree days, my horses are quite comfortable under their fans with not a bug in sight!

ditto, recently it ran out of fly spray and the flys just took over, we were miserable until we got the refill!!!

Ltc4h
Aug. 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have ALMOST the same practice as you.
Except I feed Equitrol.
I still have no bugs-Over the years I've tried all the other stuff and so far Equitrol is the only thing that works.
Don't use the predators as my manure goes from stall-spreader-field same day, or every other day max.
I will in a week or two get those huge black horse fly, do every year, but other than that....

Laurierace
Aug. 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm giving up on my fly predators because I don't think they are working out.
BUT! I swear by these things:

they work, I promise:
http://www.country-vet.com/images/products/32-1962CV.jpg

While they don't completely eliminate flies, they are seriously reduced.

I just bought them both! I was only going to buy the premise spray but I saw one of the dispensers in the clearance section for $14.99 so I threw that in the cart as well. Along with a twenty pound bag of horse treats....God I am an idiot!