PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have dog insurance? asking for jingles NEW update post 41

Neighland
Aug. 9, 2010, 04:53 PM
How quickly things can change, see post 34! :no:

So, I'm a die hard insurance nut for my horses (its paid for itself at this point!), and have everyone covered and am now considering getting some for my corgi, Trudy. If I go this route, I think I'm leaning towards Petplan after reading reviews....but can't help but wonder if I wouldn't be better off putting that money away rather than buying insurance? I'd really love to hear your thoughts/comments, I've never known anyone who had it, so am turning to the knowledge of COTH!!! Anyone have/had it???

Oh and fyi: She is 12 years young, so hers would be $350 a year w/a $200 deductible. I honestly had no idea they'd insure a 12 year old dog!!

Pancakes
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
I would say look into Trupanion and VPI as 2 good reputable insurance providers.

Of course, for a 12 year old dog, putting away the money wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea either. Be sure to ask each company what they cover in terms of emergency coverage.

Here is a good site that reviews what questions to ask:
http://www.healthypet.com/petcare/PetInsArticle.aspx?art_key=0e13c0a1-1933-4b54-ba25-82040e75819e

MelanieC
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:23 PM
Last time I checked I decided that it made more sense to put money away than buy pet insurance, because most plans have so many exclusions that I didn't think it would be cost effective for my dogs. I am more worried about big ticket items like cancer or joint surgeries, which are usually excluded and/or require expensive riders, than I am about things like accidents (hit by car, etc.) because my dogs are extremely obedient to voice commands and are never loose and unsupervised. I think it really depends on the plan.

MafiaPrincess
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
I've been an active member on dog forums for years.. I'm pretty new to horse ones.

Most people advocate putting away the money into a separate account. Lot of plans don't cover specific conditions due to breeds. I personally know multiple people screwed over by their insurers after paying out premiums for years. Either paying way too little or none at all. Awfully hard to fight.

Some newer companies seem to get your bill instead of you paying out of pocket first, but many require you to pay the entire bill and then look for reimbursement. So you still need the available funds to pay even in an emergency situation or a credit card to cover the costs initially anyhow.

I personally have an account for emergencies for my cockers. Seems horse insurance from reading posts rocks. Dog insurance I've never heard too much good on.. then again the bad is often more loud than the good.. But people ask these questions on dog forums often. So there is the opportunity for people to be outspoken about the good and there isn't usually a ton of it.

GoForAGallop
Aug. 9, 2010, 10:07 PM
I would say look into Trupanion and VPI as 2 good reputable insurance providers.

I have VPI for my rabbit (as an "exotic" her bills can add up fast!) but only because they are the only company in the US that offers exotic pet insurance. I would never use them for my dog/cat...they have A LOT of exclusions and exceptions, and are often really bad about paying out for certain things.

I got a free 30-day trial of Trupanion for my pup through my vet's office, and were I to spend the money on dog insurance, I'd go with them. (And this is after doing tons of research on the different companies.) They have the least exclusions/exceptions, and do cover a lot of hereditary stuff that a lot of other companies don't. Their rates are also really reasonable.

Although honestly, I'm probably going to let the coverage lapse and just put money away in an emergency fund somewhere. I know all it takes is one event to make years of insurance "worth it" but when I look back on the 20 odd dogs that I've had, I've had to take exactly two to the emergency vet---one for seizures, and one for some x-rays. I wasn't charged for the seizure dog's checkup, and the x-rays for the other were under $400. I'll just plan to rely on the emergency fund/credit card/CareCredit.

sisu27
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have it on my Dobe. I have had him a year and a half and have used it about 4 times. I pay a $200 deductible per year and a 20% co-pay. I also pay $780/year (more than my horses' mortality/major medical!).

At this point, with this dog, I am winning. You don't get much from a small animal vet for $780/year....nevermind the emerg clinic (which we visited twice in less than a week last week :(). They seem to cover just about everything and are great at paying.

If I had no worries and a $5000 bloat surgery wasn't a big deal I wouldn't bother but sadly, that is not my reality so I enjoy the peace of mind that the insurance offers.

IFG
Aug. 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have VPI for my Standard Poodle, and so far, I have been very happy with them. They have covered everything that I needed. Mostly intestinal upsets due to puppy voraciousness.

Blinkers On
Aug. 10, 2010, 03:46 PM
Trupanion. Has moved from a "ceiling" of $20,000 to unlimited recently. It is what I have and think it is a great thing!!

Neighland
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thank you guys so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it...unfortunately I had terrible timing....I had been looking into this a month or so ago, and got sidetracked and didn't get back it to it till Monday when I posted.... granted I'm glad I didn't buy it Monday at this point....(they would have thought I was trying to rip them off)

Yesterday I woke up and Trudy was not feeling well.....(had been fine the night before). I thought she was being lazy because she came to bed w/DH and I got up early to ride before work so didn't have as much corgi rest as normal, she was lethargic, I had to carry her down the stairs which she normally chugs right down, but I knew she felt terrible she had no interest in breakfast....because come on when a corgi doesn't eat there is a big problem, that was her first missed meal in 12 years! I got an appointment w/my vet right away, and she spent the night w/him last night (love him, he called me at 8:45 to let me know how she was doing before I went to bed), and had tests run yesterday, and appears she has a mass on her spleen ....I'm going to take her for an ultrasound to see how far it has spread tomorrow AM at UT.

Please jingle for Trudy!

Phaxxton
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:59 PM
I know I already told you this, but many more jingles for Trudy! (((hugs)))

wendy
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:10 PM
Petplan is a great option for a new puppy because, unlike most of the other companies out there, they don't not-cover common expensive conditions such as hip dysplasia on the grounds that it is genetic and therefore pre-existing- as far as I know, they are the only company that doesn't weasel out of paying for all sorts of stuff on various claims about things being pre-existing. They paid up promptly with no fuss over $10k for several assorted conditions for one of our dogs- ACL repairs, cancer treatments. We would never have managed to sock away enough money to pay for the necessary vet care on our own.

Jingles for your corgi!

Blinkers On
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thank you guys so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it...unfortunately I had terrible timing....I had been looking into this a month or so ago, and got sidetracked and didn't get back it to it till Monday when I posted.... granted I'm glad I didn't buy it Monday at this point....(they would have thought I was trying to rip them off)

Yesterday I woke up and Trudy was not feeling well.....(had been fine the night before). I thought she was being lazy because she came to bed w/DH and I got up early to ride before work so didn't have as much corgi rest as normal, she was lethargic, I had to carry her down the stairs which she normally chugs right down, but I knew she felt terrible she had no interest in breakfast....because come on when a corgi doesn't eat there is a big problem, that was her first missed meal in 12 years! I got an appointment w/my vet right away, and she spent the night w/him last night (love him, he called me at 8:45 to let me know how she was doing before I went to bed), and had tests run yesterday, and appears she has a mass on her spleen ....I'm going to take her for an ultrasound to see how far it has spread tomorrow AM at UT.

Please jingle for Trudy!

Lord, another mass on a spleen... brutal. I am so sorry. There are many of us here who have lost dogs to hemangiosarcoma. We could start our own COTH support group.
I am so sorry!!!
I lost my heart dog last October to the blasted mass the size of my head on his spleen. My heart truly breaks for you!!!

Neighland
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks Phaxxton!!

Thanks again guys, its a bit late now to go for dog insurance for Trudy, but I will probably get it on a future dog. Thank you all for your thoughts on it though!!

I had to attach some pics I took of her a couple of weeks ago!!

lovemyoldguy
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Neighland, ***huge*** jingles for you and Trudy.

While most splenic masses aren't great news, there is always a small ray of hope. Four years ago my large lab mix, Jack, suffered a splenic rupture that was caused by an unknown mass. (I'm really anal-retentive about his care, so we're not sure what happened, but it was very sudden and very alarming.) He was rushed into surgery, and since we knew that this was almost certainly hemangiosarcoma, I gave permission for him to be euthenized on the table. However, they discovered that it was NOT hemangiosarcoma - he had a benign tumor that led to the splenic rupture. To be safe, we biopsied everything in sight and everything came back clear. He's now 13 and facing some 'old man' issues (like sore hips) that I didn't think he'd even live to see.

I'll keep you and Trudy in my thoughts and prayers - please let us know how she's doing. Big hugs to you both.

Neighland
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks Blinkers, we actually just lost our Aussie in June from the same thing as well, so it makes it a bit harder since I know whats coming.........here is my fav pic of him from a couple of years ago.

Zu Zu
Aug. 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
Jingles for Trudy & her family ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~ She is adorable ~

IFG
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
Jingles...

Laurierace
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:20 PM
You weren't kidding about not missing a meal in 12 years. Jingling for good news.

Blinkers On
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks Blinkers, we actually just lost our Aussie in June from the same thing as well, so it makes it a bit harder since I know whats coming.........here is my fav pic of him from a couple of years ago.

He was beautiful!!!

leilatigress
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
You weren't kidding about not missing a meal in 12 years. Jingling for good news.

:lol: Most of that might be fur!!! Those Corgi's are fluffy very fluffy.

ctanner
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
Jingles!

Pancakes
Aug. 11, 2010, 05:06 PM
50% of splenic tumors we see are benign, 50% are malignant (about)

So there is still hope, and still hope that with surgery to remove the spleen, it might go okay.

Jingles for you!

Neighland
Aug. 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Haha on not missing a meal that was around the same time Zippy was sick and although Trudy NEVER eats people food she was getting a lot of dog cookies and hot dogs for pill time so she had gained about four pounds. She is fluffy though and claims she's big boned ;) hehe!

I picked her up this afternoon and she's doing much better! Leaving early tomorrow for the vet so lee the jingles coming!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, the whole family appreciates them!!!

carla54
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
Trudy is Beautiful! Many jingles coming her way.

citydog
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:35 PM
Jingles to Trudy.

My Belgian had an emergency splenectomy at Tufts and was diagnosed with metastasized hemangiosarcoma and give one to three months to live. He lasted just shy of four *years*. :yes:

All good thoughts your way.

As for insurance, I have PetPlan on my dogs now. My second choice would be Embrace. See http://www.petinsurancereview.com/

Antaeus
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:56 PM
Jingles for Trudy.

Zu Zu
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
Morning jingles for Trudy ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

trubandloki
Aug. 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
Jingling!

SonnysMom
Aug. 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Big Jingles.

I lost one dog Sparky, a border collie cross, to hemangiosarcoma.

However on the bright side my aunt's dog, GSD, had a mass on her spleen at age 10 that was removed. She made it 3 more years.

Neighland
Aug. 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys! I met with the vet this am and left her for ultrasound hopefully will here something in the next hour or so.

Blinkers On
Aug. 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
Fingers crossed, and jingling

Merle
Aug. 12, 2010, 03:19 PM
Jingles! This thread could not come at a more ironic time for me!

Tuesday night I was going to buy the PetPlan insurance for my dogs (but got caught up doing things and never got to it) and Wednesday we had to take my Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in because she ate a week's worth of Claritin D. :no: Things are looking up since I get to pick her up in a few hours but she spent over a day in the ICU to recover. Boy do I wish I had bought the insurance!

Zu Zu
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:11 PM
JINGLES ~ JINGLES ~ JINGLES ~~~

Neighland
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
Update she is scheduled for surgery tomorrow! It is actually in her liver and only appears to be in a small portion!
All parts are crossed that is what they find tomorrow w/no surprises!

Keep jingling for Trudy!!

Blinkers On
Aug. 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
Fingers, toes, hooves and paws crossed for you and Trudy!

Hattie
Aug. 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hattie and her corgi, Bailey, are jingling for Trudy! Corgis are tough and tenacious.

lovemyoldguy
Aug. 13, 2010, 11:49 AM
Huge jingles for Trudy!!!!!

Zu Zu
Aug. 13, 2010, 03:34 PM
Another truckload of Jingles for Trudy and her owners ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~~ Come on Trudy ~ lots of cothers pulling for you !

Zu Zu
Aug. 14, 2010, 08:56 AM
Morning Jingles for Trudy and her family ~ so hoping no news is good news ~ Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

naturalequus
Aug. 14, 2010, 09:38 AM
Hope the surgery went well for Trudy!

As for insurance, I signed on for the free 30 day trial with Trupanion for my new puppy and have already used it (they paid out, no questions asked, after I took her in with suspected parvo). My vets offered me both PetPlan and Trupanion however they felt that Trupanion had the best feedback so far - less payout issues with their clients, etc. I will definitely be continuing the insurance with Trupanion on my girl, as bills add up quickly! Trupanion seems to be the most reasonable and have the least exclusions (including hip displaysia coverage if you want it).

Doing the math, I figure insurance is a better option than saving up, personally. My Dobe came up with a fungal infection at the back of her nose (over her turbinates) about a year and a half ago now (she was 2 at the time). $6,000 later and no insurance...she is a healthy (but very very expensive, haha) dog. Just putting aside money, we never would have saved up $6,000 by the time she was 2. I figure at say $50/month (with Trupanion, my quote is less than that per month with a $150 deductible, but just to make number crunching easier...) that is $600/year and $6,000 after 10 years. Well there is a strong likelihood that anything worth going to insurance for (surgery, major medical/illness) could equate to that quickly, and prior to the dog being 10 and you having that same amount saved up! Make sure though your deductible is low, as though costs add up quickly, they usually do so in small increments. That $6,000 did not come in one bill, it was in increments of $500, $1,500, $2,500, etc.

Neighland
Aug. 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Trudy isn't doing well. Her whole liver looked bad, they did take some out and biopsied it but that isn't back yet! We had been in hopes of bringing her home today, but she still has no appetite so now I'm hoping for tomorrow! Please keep jingling for her!! I'm honestly beyond devastated, I think partially because it wa s so sudden she was totally fine Monday evening and now so sick!! :(

Laurierace
Aug. 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
They can be so stoic you never have any idea there is a problem. Jingling for good news soon.

Blinkers On
Aug. 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
I am sorry, HUgs from my fur faily to yours

dawglover
Aug. 14, 2010, 03:53 PM
Jingles from me and my pack of dawgs.

Buffyblue
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:54 PM
I have my dogs on Pets Best, but am not sure if I am totally happy with it.
Jingles for Trudy!

Neighland
Aug. 14, 2010, 07:07 PM
Yah! Looks like Trudy can come home tomorrow if she can stay where she is now!! She feels better and is snarling and biting at them now!

Zu Zu
Aug. 14, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yah! Looks like Trudy can come home tomorrow if she can stay where she is now!! She feels better and is snarling and biting at them now!

Great :D ~ so glad she is snarling and biting again :lol: LOL ~ Jingles continue for Trudy and her family ~ & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~ :yes:

Zu Zu
Aug. 15, 2010, 06:16 PM
Bumping for a Trudy update ~ Jingles continue for her and her family ~

Zu Zu
Aug. 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
Jingles continue ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Neighland
Aug. 16, 2010, 09:51 AM
Trudy is home and doing fairly well! They wrapped her wrap to hold the catheter in too tight and her foot is super sore and swollen but it is better this AM. I'm peeved about that but there is nothing to do about it. :(

She's a little more perky this morning ( even went scavaging in the kitchen in true corgi form!! She isn't eating as well as I'd like, so that is a bit worrisome but hopefully it will continue to improve. Her biopsy results should be back wed.

I'm going to work from home for a few days maybe the week to stay with her!!

Thanks so much for asking about the little munchkin!!!

Zu Zu
Aug. 16, 2010, 10:08 AM
GREAT ~~~ Jingles for Trudy ~~~ sending healing Jingles and wishes for a day of rest & recovery ~ thanks for update lnow it is tough to update when in a crisis with a "special friend" ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Guin
Aug. 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Tribble sends happy corgi barks to Trudy. :yes:

Hattie
Aug. 16, 2010, 11:47 AM
Bailey is sending happy corgi barks as well!! It is a good sign that she is looking around in the kitchen - that's a corgi's favorite room!

Zu Zu
Aug. 17, 2010, 08:10 AM
Morning Jingles for Trudy ~ hope she is in the kitchen ~

Neighland
Aug. 17, 2010, 12:00 PM
So Trudy had a rough night a bit of hard breathing which could be from the pain medication or could be some bleeding. I called the vet first thing and he said to put her on the prednisone that we had left from Zippy (the Aussie) then I checked her stitch line and it was a bit redder than last night so keep the jingles coming we are headed there at 3:40! I really hope she can have a few good days, I'll feel terrible if she's been through all the surgery and can't at least have some good life left!!!

Laurierace
Aug. 22, 2010, 07:22 PM
Any updates?

Neighland
Aug. 22, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'm terrible for not updating, we had to put her to sleep Wed, she got much worse early that morning so took her in first thing! It was very peaceful and it was time.

I am looking for another so if anyone knows reputable corgi breeders please let me know! I have a couple possibilities but nothing for sure at the moment!

Laurierace
Aug. 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
Shoot, I thought no news was good news. Godspeed

Bluey
Aug. 22, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry you lost your dog.:cry:

Aven
Aug. 22, 2010, 09:13 PM
I am so sorry :(

Zu Zu
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thoughts and prayers and huge hugs for you and your family ~ so sorry to read about Trudy ~ RIP Trudy ~ :cry: