PDA

View Full Version : Heating Tack Room: ductless heat pump/mini split ?

springplainsfarm
Aug. 8, 2010, 07:53 AM
We are trying to decide how to heat our 12 x 24 tack room, primarily to keep water pipes etc. from freezing. Safety is our primary concern, followed by energy efficient.

We are looking at ductless heat pump/mini split system, which would provide heat and air and qualify for tax credit.

We are in Maryland, so temps can vary.

Anyone using one? How much did it add to your electric bill?

Any info or other suggestions appreciated.

judybigredpony
Aug. 8, 2010, 08:06 AM
My tack room is about the same size and use a free standing contained self circulating w/hot oil heater. Looks like old fashioned radiator. Has a thermostat and keeps room warm enough so water doesn't freeze (and cat) but no so prohibative to bust electric bill.
I have used it for years n years with little fear of fire or electrical issues. Rolls away behind tack truck for summers when slimline portable A/C comes out.

Sparky Boy
Aug. 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
We put in two electric baseboards for a room about that size. I keep the thermostat up enough to knock the chill off and keep pipes from freezing. Works well.

Bluey
Aug. 11, 2010, 11:00 AM
We had two rooms in our training barn to heat, the one for the goat milking supplies and the cattle medicines and the horse office/spare tackroom with a little half bath between them.
The rooms were 10' by 14' and the little space in the middle for bathroom and furnace and little water heater about another 4'.

We heated all that with a little gas, later electric furnace, that blew air to all that area, kept it from freezing and it was cheap to run.

The tack room uses in the winter a portable, well house type electric heater with a thermostat and it is cheap to run also, set at a low level.

CatOnLap
Aug. 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
insulation...
we have the entire 12 x 12 tack room insulated 6 inches thick with fibreglas batts and vapour sealed. Not expensive to do compared to electric and heat costs.

The 40 gallon hot water tank, installed inside the room, keeps it warm enough in our mild winters that the single baseboard heater almost never comes on. We also have cool ocean evenings, so A/C is not really necessary here.

Can someone link one of those small heat pumps though? We had geothermal heat pump in our last house on the prairies and it was mucho expensive to install- more than a furnace and central air combined, but that was a couple of decades ago. It worked great, even in the super hot prairie summer nights. It was not expensive to run, since the only things running were the fan and the circulator pump- comparable to running a fridge.

What do they cost nowadays for a small application like that tackroom?

Night of Songs
Aug. 11, 2010, 04:49 PM
We have a Mitsubishi mini heat pump and are extremely happy with it.

While not in our tack room (yet), we put one in our converted garage, 20'x21' on a slab, since we could not run any ductwork from the main unit to it. It does a great job heating and cooling the room, especially since the builders did not insulate the walls since it was a garage. It has reduced the main heat pump unit running since it does not have to try and cool that area now.

There has been negligible impact on the utility bill with it. Easy to clean filters and a nice programmable remote. It did require a good size breaker, a double one (not sure of the amps, not good with electric) so check on that.

This is our second summer with it and it is taking the above average heat of 100 for days on end without a hitch.

Good luck!:)

Halt At X
Aug. 12, 2010, 07:34 AM
We added a 14x20 living room onto our house 4 years ago. With the increased load, instead of redoing the a/c and furnace from the original house we added a ductless split. Bought it on ebay for $500 and hubby had it installed fairly quickly (he is an hvac tech so that helped). We never use the heat pump though as we have a gas fireplace in the room but the ac part works great and there isn't much of a difference in the electric bill from when we didn't have it installed.

I would think that in Maryland it doesn't get quite as cold as it does up here and you would be fine with the ductless.

fivehorses
Aug. 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
I have the mini split mitsubishi for air. I LOVE it. It has a dehumidifier as well as air. I did not get the one with heat, since the house is hot water heat.
I love the fact, no window units to pull out, and its fairly quiet. For me, I probably use the dehimidifier all summer, since our 'heat' doesn't normally get that high, but our humidity can. Although, when I need ac, that thing does the trick.

I have had it for 5 years, and it is as good as the day I bought it. Love it.

springplainsfarm
Aug. 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

eBay has better prices than we were quoted if anyone is looking.