PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Confirm That This Was Done By a Fox

ytr45
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redhill/

I'm assuming that this was a fox that came and dug this hole and removed my duck. The 3 geese didn't get taken. I just want someone who knows what a fox hole looks like to confirm that it was a fox.

Thank You!

JSwan
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:37 PM
Could be a coon, dog, or fox. They'll all dig to get at prey. Coon or fox could also climb that fence quite easily, and make off with the duck without digging a hole to get in. Climbing it would be easier than digging.

Any prints?

Sorry about your duck.

summerhorse
Aug. 8, 2010, 11:29 PM
So sorry about your duck but there are any number of creatures that could have done it, no way to tell unless you could find good prints.

Bluey
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
When using soft wire, we always have a bottom bar or board.
That discourages most diggers.

We have wild pigs, so we put our yard fence on a concrete border and even then, the pigs one night almost tore a hole in the heavy chain link and may have if I had not heard them and turned the lights on and went to look, scaring them.:eek:

No telling what got into your pen, maybe look for tracks?

Zu Zu
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
Sorry for you loss ~

Megaladon
Aug. 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
So sorry :(

I also wouldn't rule out skunk, I know they are diggers, but I'm not sure if they take prey the size of ducks?

Bluey made a good suggestion with the board across the bottom so this doesn't happen again.

You could also put up an outdoor trail camera.

My condolences for your poor little duck.

Thomas_1
Aug. 9, 2010, 10:11 AM
Could be a host of things. You need to sink the mesh into the ground and with a bottom board of wood or corrugated metal (preferably).