PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever watched a dung beetle and wondered???

pony grandma
Aug. 6, 2010, 12:08 AM
And wondered WHY???

Why dung?

Why the huge piece of dung all the way across the stall from wherever he is trying to head with it? Why not a piece right next to his hole under the wall? There are 'plenty' of pieces of poop ... even yummier ones closer!

Why the huge piece 10X bigger than him, and all that effort flipping that end over end. Why not visit and snack, why must he flip it across the stall, thru all that bedding?

I was just wondering watching a piece of poop levitate itself in the stall this evening!

CHT
Aug. 6, 2010, 12:16 AM
I have never met a dung beetle in real life...just the cartoon version.

How big are they that they can move a horse poo?

Perhaps there are subtle nuances to the poo that your untrained eye/palate can not dicern. I am a little concerned that you consider any of the horse poo to seem yummier than others....

JSwan
Aug. 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
I LOVE dung beetles.

They are rolling the manure into a hole, and then they lay their eggs on it. When the larvae hatch, they eat the manure and then go forth to roll more manure, which then roll into a hole and deposit eggs on it.

In the meantime, the little holes help in soil aeration, the manure balls bring fertilizer to the grass roots, and the dung beetles destroy manure patties so fast the flies don't use them for laying their eggs or feeding.

Ivermectin kills dung beetle larvae, so populations usually suffer terrible losses right when we need them most. If you rotate your paddocks, try to dose Ivermectin and keep the livestock in one paddock for 10 days, then continue with your rotation. That can help prevent heavy losses.

Dung beetles are really cool and are crucial in a fly control program.

The End. :)

Zu Zu
Aug. 6, 2010, 09:24 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

JSwan
Aug. 6, 2010, 09:27 AM
One of my goals is to have my own dung beetle breeding program.

Seriously. :lol:

I just never seem to get around to making a trap and building the boxes. They really cut down on horn and face flies on a farm, even if there are cows around.

Yeah, I know. I need to get a life.......

Catersun
Aug. 6, 2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I know. I need to get a life.......

been laid up with your back for a while now huh??? ;)

pony grandma
Aug. 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
How big are they that they can move a horse poo?

They are about an inch across maybe - very dark and shiney.

So is this the female that is doing all this amazon lifting? But why not a piece closer to their hole? All brawn and no brain??? :lol: must be to spend your life with this purpose!

Why the huge big piece - how can they get that in a hole?

Thanks for the info - now we know just about 'everything' :D

JSwan
Aug. 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
been laid up with your back for a while now huh??? ;)

Well, it's either think about dung beetle breeding programs or refine my plot for world domination. Decisions decisions.... :winkgrin:

asuits
Aug. 6, 2010, 01:50 PM
Whose to say a dung beetle breeding program won't lead to world domination?:lol:

Catersun
Aug. 6, 2010, 06:38 PM
Well, it's either think about dung beetle breeding programs or refine my plot for world domination. Decisions decisions.... :winkgrin:

lol

VanEq
Aug. 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
Whose to say a dung beetle breeding program won't lead to world domination?:lol:

A very, very good point.... :cool:

2ndyrgal
Aug. 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
Because if anyone could think of a more simple and way to deal with S**t on a daily basis, I'm all ears.

There's a big political joke just on the edge of this thread somewhere...

I look at a lot of things daily and wonder "why"".....

kateh
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
So dung beetles use dung as "nuptial gift"-something the male brings the female to convince her to mate with him. The reason he's so picky about which dung to use is he's looking for highest quality-fresh, nutritious etc ;) He rolls it to the female and as he's rolling it picks up more dirt, which is why those balls are so big. Forget your dung? Bring subpar dung? Then you can forget getting any action! :cool::lol:

foundationmare
Aug. 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
Kateh, any chance that you're an entomologist????My ex is one.

Chall
Aug. 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Who knows? Maybe the rolling is needed to even out airation (make the ball evenly dry). Maybe they are rolling on or rolling off some unseen bacteria that needs to be killed or needs to be present for digestion. I've never seen a video of them that shows them rolling through wet areas so I'd go with it needs to be aired/dried out evenly.
Total speculation here..

suz
Aug. 9, 2010, 11:33 PM

my thought exactly!!

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 9, 2010, 11:50 PM
I've never seen one-is that because too much ivermectin at the boarding barn? Shall I go hang out in the cow pasture? I'd really really really like to see them. I'm in KY.

Have you seen the video of the beetle burying the mouse? Wow.

pony grandma
Aug. 11, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hey it was all just a thought! What a lot of effort expended to roll a piece all the way across the stall. To risk getting stepped on especially.

It had to be for sex :lol:

But why that piece when there were so many others closer? And it is hilarious to see the pieces levitate themselves like that.

I recall the RPP post-it note that said "Of course we put up with a lot of shit! We're dung beetles!"

chancy deal
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, you're very lucky!
I have never seen a dung beetle rolling a turd. I'd love to see that!

Frank B
Aug. 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
Here ya go! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z0VYUW1ULg&feature=related)

babecakes
Aug. 11, 2010, 04:50 PM
:lol::lol: youtube -- the answer for everything!

and here's one - the Amazon dung beetle rolling red howler monkey poo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuugmTSXYDs&feature=related

oh the levels we've sunk to. :lol: