PDA

View Full Version : Going pay for barn cleaning?

Bearskin
Aug. 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
What is the going rate for non-skilled, non-knowledgeable as pertains to horses labor? Am needing outside runs cleaned (manure picked) M-F. There are 4 horses who are turned out 24/7, but brought in 2X/day for feeding. Last I heard the going rate for stalls (cleaning, bedding, etc) was $1.00/day/stall. Would this rate still apply?

Renae
Aug. 5, 2010, 09:48 PM
When we have paid by the stall for stalls only we were paying $2 a stall, and that was like 7-8 years ago. We figured that by if you are going very slow you would be doing 4 stalls an hour, so $8 an hour, to if you were cleaning the stalls as fast as they can still be cleaned correctly you can do 6-7 stalls anout hour, so up to $14 an hour depending on how fast you are willing to work. Also you have to pay well enough to make the job worth coming to, you may only have 4 runs to be picked but someone will have to figure time out of their day to make it to your place to do this job. We have 40 stalls here, so that was not much of a problem for us, however if you only paid $2 a run, so $8 total I doubt you would get many people who would think it was worth the effort.

LOVE*MY*NAGS
Aug. 5, 2010, 10:03 PM
I doubt you will get much interest for $1.00 a stall. Sooo, you will pay $4.00/day for cleaning up after 4 horses? I wouldn't do it, it wouldn't be worth making the time/effort, its not even close to minimum wage.

joiedevie99
Aug. 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
If you are talking about 15 minutes picking a shed, and its a kid who is already at the barn anyway- I'd think someone might bite for $20 per week.

Unfortunately, that sort of pay is't even going to cover gas for 5 drives per week if someone has to come to the barn just for this job.

If its more than 15 minutes, I'd say $8-$12 per hour depending on where you are.

lilypondlane
Aug. 5, 2010, 10:33 PM
I've been paying $30 per day for cleaning stalls, feeding, haying, filling water buckets and turning in/out for 8 horses. It takes about 1.5 hours per day so that breaks down to about $20 per hour.

Pennywell Bay
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:57 AM
I had somene who just did stalls at $3 a stall 3 years ago.

CatOnLap
Aug. 6, 2010, 01:13 PM
We pay $10/hour and 4 stalls+runouts per hour is the norm. To make it worthwhile, I added another hour's worth of work grooming the horses and clkeaning tack and such, so my teen comes to get $20, 3x/week.

JackandMo
Aug. 6, 2010, 10:15 PM
Personally, I don't want anyone without knowledge around horses.

With that being said, I clean and feed 3x a week to cover my daughter's pony board (since he's a pony, I only pay 1/2 of pasture board.)
Any additional cleaning (AM or PM) I do is at a flat rate of $10

I clean 6 stalls, feed between 17-20 horses, pre-make each horses feed for the next feeding, throw down hay/shavings from the loft, fill pasture water troughs, and check horses over for any illness/injury.

It doesn't matter if it takes me an hour, or four.

cyndi
Aug. 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
We pay $10/hour and 4 stalls+runouts per hour is the norm. To make it worthwhile, I added another hour's worth of work grooming the horses and clkeaning tack and such, so my teen comes to get $20, 3x/week.

This is exactly my set-up but instead of grooming horses, she sweeps the aisle, cleans tack, de-cobwebs the barn, does horse laundry, etc. Basically an hour to clean my stalls and an hour to do 'extra' stuff - and I would not be able to get someone to come for just 2 hours a day (5 days a week) except that she works for a friend of mine 4 hours a day and goes right by my place on her way there. VERY difficult to find someone to work for just 2 hours a day...

Milocalwinnings
Aug. 7, 2010, 11:18 PM
My boss currently pays $3.75/stall (I believe... it used to be $3.50 but I think she raised it). Since I'm pretty efficient and I don't waste time, I'm paid hourly instead of by the task... $11/hr (mucking, feeding, grooming, misc work, etc). Stall cleaning includes mucking, rebedding, scrubbing and refilling water buckets, setting hay (if horses are coming in in the AM), and blowing the aisle. Usually takes 10-15 mins/stall. I'm usually there anywhere from 3-7 hours a day.

Honestly, at $1/stall, it wouldn't be worth the time. As someone else said, that's not going to pay for gas to get to and from the barn. At $4/hr (if it takes the person 15 mins to do a stall, depending on how messy they are), that's less than min. wage. You *might* be able to get a horse crazy teenager who is desperate for whatever sort of barn time they can get.

skip916
Aug. 8, 2010, 12:06 AM
we pay 5$ per visit for the following for a two stall barn:

bring in
feed 2 horses- including supplements etc.
clean/fill water buckets in stall
refill hay mangers
pick stalls- we use pelleted bedding so this is quick and low maintenance!
fly spray/mask on each horse (blanket on/off in winter)
turn back out or keep in depending on weather
blow out barn
fill outside water trough

this is for a 14 year old boy whose mom has a barn nearby and he generally feeds for us mornings before school and weekends as needed. it takes him about 30 minutes max to do this so technically he's making about 10$/hour. i also just raised him to 7$/ visit on weekends to try keep him around working for us on weekend mornings when im sure he would rather sleep in!

he doesn't ride but has a healthy respect for our mares and treats them kindly- also texts or calls me if there are any cuts/scrapes abnormalities which is priceless to me! he also told me the other day exactly how many bales of hay i had left since he knew it was a long drive for hay! so great!

i just always think of it like- the happier i can keep him- the happier he will keep mine and my friends horse. i often see barns (and have boarded at one) that grossly underpay their help and the horses are the ones that are shorted in the end!