Aug. 5, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2010/0810_Barn-Full-of-Kittens.php

A great story about barn cats.

Buffyblue
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:56 PM
Great and informative article. Thanks!

Susan P
Aug. 5, 2010, 10:41 PM
Mine is among the reader submitted stories with my late horse Nomad's photo with his cat Connie.

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2010/0810_Barn-Full-of-Kittens-Reader-Stories.php

BasqueMom
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:55 PM
Great stories--thanks for sharing!

Susan P
Aug. 11, 2010, 08:54 AM
I'm so glad you liked them, hope it helps the kitties too. There are so many needing homes right now.

Great stories--thanks for sharing!

tikihorse2
Aug. 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
Wonderful article and stories! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kim

Susan P
Aug. 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
The article seems well received and I'm delighted. I hope you like Nomad and Connie too, though the photo doesn't show just how much in love Connie was with Nomad. I believe he was her everything. She likes me now but the another cat bullies her away from me, poor Connie.

I think this article is great because it has wonderful resources as well as the human interest stories. I volunteer for Forgotten Cats in Delaware. www.forgottencats.org (http://www.forgottencats.org) They are trying to win the money from www.animalrescuesite.com (http://www.animalrescuesite.com) shelter contest and they've been way ahead. With the most votes and it gives them $1,000 when they win. Since they've spayed or neutered over 40,000 cats in the past 6 years of their exisitence they've earned it and I know the founders and they don't take a dime, it's a true volunteer organization. I was at the clinic last night with 3 kittens getting spayed and neutered. They need homes and are so sweet. The mamma was semi feral and went to a local horse farm near the PA/MD line and she'll be loved, and she's getting very friendly. The kittens are in my bathroom recovering from surgery and I hope they can get into the Forgotten Cats Adoption Center at the local Pet Smart store in northern DE and on PetFinder.com too. They will go as house pets, not barns since they are super friendly and so sweet. Sometimes they purr as soon as I walk into the bathroom. One of them is shy. I named the bold and brave one Braveheart, the shy one is Trueheart (but Chickenheart might be more appropriate) and the little girl is named for the 93 year old lady Jane who's shed they were born under, she is Janie. Perhaps Sweetheart would be more appropriate but I wanted to honor the lady that tried to find them help and with her walker she would go out and feed mamma twice a day. I took them over to her house about a week ago so she could see them now that they are tame and she loved it. I don't know if she'll remember but at the time it made her happy.

Susan P
Aug. 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
If you're in the Delaware area we have a lot of barn cats that need homes asap and we deliver and set up at your farm and loan crates if you need them, and appreciate getting them returned. We have a volunteer do all this and needless to say we always need more volunteers.

We will travel up to 2 hours from northern Delaware to most of NJ, north east, MD, eastern PA and maybe the very north of VA to deliver them.

This is Forgotten Cats www.forgottencats.org (http://www.forgottencats.org) that I'm referrring to. Of course as the article says we also help trap cats and offer low cost spay and neuter. You can check the web site and contact the organization directly for that. But if you need barn cats you can tell me.

Susan P
Aug. 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
bump, more readers, great article!

MyGiantPony
Aug. 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
Good article - I sent the link to my BO. She is inundated. She traps/spays/neuters as much as she can, but it's a losing battle for her.

One boy did turn up this spring, and I'm in love with him - I can't have a house cat, but I'm bugging my landlord to let me bring him home as a mouser in her barn. I don't think he was always a stray - he's super friendly and chatty.

Susan P
Aug. 26, 2010, 08:52 AM
They define feral cats as those that have never had human contact or not cared for by humans. A stray is one that did have human contact and either got lost or dumped. The stray has the best chance of being friendly pets. But I have cats in my house that were born to a feral mamma cat at my farm (she's spayed now) and you can see the difference but some try harder to be friendly than others. Then I have a cat that was born at a Amish farm, handled by their kids and the father was super friendly and the mother was pretty friendly and he is velcro and loves to meet new people and be held by total strangers. Considering that my other cats were feral kittens they are pretty nice with strangers. Someone told me that feral cats do not meow, but mine do, just not a lot. When they want food or to come inside the house or want attention they will call for me.

Good article - I sent the link to my BO. She is inundated. She traps/spays/neuters as much as she can, but it's a losing battle for her.

One boy did turn up this spring, and I'm in love with him - I can't have a house cat, but I'm bugging my landlord to let me bring him home as a mouser in her barn. I don't think he was always a stray - he's super friendly and chatty.

Thanks for sending the article to your BO.

Susan P
Aug. 29, 2010, 11:35 AM
If anyone is in PA who would get this paper this should be the end of availability to pick it up. I think the Pennsylvania Equestrian did a great service for cats by printing this article and I'm hoping that they get the kudos that they deserve.

Please let the editor know that you liked the story and are glad that they published it.

We have to help the kitties, there are so many. Yesterday I stopped at a Standardbred training barn which was built by a prominent trainer who has passed away a few years ago. I drove to the barn hoping to find someone and I found at least a dozen friendly cats and kittens and one mamma about to have a litter. The owner saw me and drove to the barn. She was a really sweet lady and she just couldn't handle the high price of sterilization at the vets and people kept dumping cats on her property. I told her that Forgotten Cats www.forgottencats.org (http://www.forgottencats.org) could help and they will. Many of the cats were fighting upper respiratory infections, one super lovable kitten was missing an eye due to infection and he was beautiful and could easily be adopted into a good home but the missing eye makes him harder to place. The owner is very willing to accept the help from FC and I was thrilled. I will do a follow up visit and make it happen. She also told me that hunters from the woods next to the barn said that there were many feral cats in the woods. So now that's a trapping job, the TNR program can also help with that, at least stopping the growing birth rate and vaccinations. It's not ideal but it's an improvement. When FC finds feral cats that are very young we can try to tame them at least enough to be barn cats. Most horse farms do not want totally feral cats on their farm but when someone is willing to take them it's best for those cats.

Forgotten Cats and other similar organizations improve the lives of all cats wherever they are found. The story in the Pennsylvania Equestrian made that information available to a larger audience and COTH has allowed that audience to grow.

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to read it and hope you will contact your local organization and get involved, maybe take a couple cats to your farm, tell your BO, share it with your friends and maybe make a donation to your local TNR or rescue. Together we can help the cats.

MyGiantPony
Aug. 30, 2010, 01:54 PM
Susan -

RE that gray boy that turned up at the barn - I was thinking I should have him tested for HIV and leukemia before investing the money into neuter and vax.

I feel pretty strongly that an outdoor cat that's positive for either should be euthed.

Does that make sense to you? I really want to give this guy a good home. He's just awesome, and I'm not really a cat person. ;)

Susan P
Aug. 31, 2010, 10:26 PM
Forgotten Cats doesn't euthanize cats unless they are suffering so a positive Feline Leukemia or Aides test and I forget which is worse, (get them confused) would not automatically cause them to euth them. They try to find them a contaminated colony to live with. Cats can live a long time with one of those, I think it's Feline Aides that isn't a death sentence necessarily.

Are you near Forgotten Cats locations? Or do you have another low cost clinic near you? The test costs $15 at our clinics, hopefully you can get that done reasonably too. Hoping for a good result. Please let me know what you hear. Hope he's clean, poor guy.

If I can be of any help feel free to email me regarding cats at TruckParts19311@aol.com

Susan -

RE that gray boy that turned up at the barn - I was thinking I should have him tested for HIV and leukemia before investing the money into neuter and vax.

I feel pretty strongly that an outdoor cat that's positive for either should be euthed.

Does that make sense to you? I really want to give this guy a good home. He's just awesome, and I'm not really a cat person. ;)

Susan P
Sep. 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
Forgotten Cats has an urgent need to find homes for mass quantities of cats that have been sterilized, vaccinated, wormed and FIV tested.

If you can give a cat a barn home with food, water and shelter daily and are willing to go through the 3-4 weeks of confinement acclimation then please contact me asap if you are within about 2 hours of northern, DE or Willow Grove, PA.

TruckParts19311@aol.com