PDA

View Full Version : Godspeed to a Good Big Farm Dog (picture post #34)

pintopiaffe
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:20 PM
Malarkey was peacefully euthanized this afternoon.

He very quickly started showing some edema/belly bloating,yesterday afternoon, but was in no distress. This morning when I got home from work, I called the vet, and set up an appointment, but they could not get us in until tomorrow. After napping for a couple hours, I checked him again, and called for an emergency visit.

He's a big sissy, and the only distress he was showing was a little labored breathing. But it was very clear to me something was very wrong, and quite honestly, I *knew*.

We stopped on the way for a hamburger. He travelled more peacefully than he ever has--he hates riding in the truck. Dr. Kelley tapped his belly and said he had a tumor on his spleen and was bleeding internally. I said, "Let's put him down then."

IMMEDIATELY Dr. Kelley said, "That is the right thing to do."

I have never had an animal go as peacefully as he did. I held him and he was relaxed and it was over in an instant. I am very grateful this was fast and painless. He had good days. Today was a good day. He was a Good Dog.

Farm dog, porch dog, and best of all, bed dog. Lately I could barely move around without tripping over him. I am sure he knew.

My heart hurts right now. And yet, the vet tech kindly laughed with me at a couple of stories about him. There was no doubt it was the right thing, and the right time, not a moment too soon or too late.

I will miss the big, silly lug dearly. We had nine great years, despite his not wanting to be born.

He will rest out beneath the giant mountain ash with his 'special' brother Augustine and my other Great Dog O'Malley.

Godspeed Good Dog.

Laurierace
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:24 PM
OMG, how sad. I am glad he made the decision an easy one for you. Godspeed.

dressagetraks
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:52 PM
Sorry for you but glad for him that it was peaceful and not too soon or too late. I grinned at the thought of him enjoying his last hamburger.

RIP, Malarkey.

Buffyblue
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:53 PM
So sorry for the loss of your old friend. Godspeed, good dog!

Zu Zu
Aug. 5, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thoughts and prayers and huge hugs for the family (house and barn) Malarkey leaves behind :cry: ~ RIP Malarkey. Love your thoughtfulness with the last hambuger ~ very special he must have been to you and you to him ~ :cool:

mkevent
Aug. 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
Awww, I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, Malarkey.

fivehorses
Aug. 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
Pintopiaffe, I am so sorry about the loss of your great dog. He sounds like a real love. Plus, what a great way to go...go out for a burger.

I have an older dog too with a tumor on her spleen and well, I just have not gotten clear answers on 'how' she is going to let me know, so your post has brought me some insight.

I hope you won't mind if I pm'd you to discuss this with you some more.

Again, my condolences, and Godspeed Malarkey~

deacon's mom
Aug. 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
(((((HUGS))))) from Majik and me.

b

pintopiaffe
Aug. 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
fivehorses--email me at pintopiaffe at aol dot com...

I've actually known something was going on for a couple of months, but not exactly what. He passed his 'physical' in June with flying colours... though I wasn't exactly impressed with the exam...

It IS a gift that things progressed quite quickly, and without pain. I really am grateful. There was never a second thought about anything.

I finally caved and called in to work and asked if I could come in at 0200 instead of midnight. I haven't been to sleep yet but for a fitful 90 minutes or so this morning. :(

I do believe, with every FIBRE of my being, that it IS worth it, but the actual physical pain is hard right now. My head hurts from crying and my sinuses being all clogged up from snot... and my chest hurts. Not chest pain, but physically my heart hurts. I know that sounds ridiculous.

Eamon doesn't seem to be reacting at all. But then, he didn't when his mother and brother died either. Malarkey stayed with me and Gus while I held Gus when he left... and Malarkey visited with his Mum before I moved her... I dunno... maybe Eamon just is oblivious? That is probably better. He's never been alone.

How do we forget? How do we manage to forget how damn much it hurts? Even when it is a Good life, well lived, and a ripe old age (he was a big dog) How do we manage to ignore this grief and go on again and yet again?

I have been so blessed to know such incredible creatures in this life. I cannot wait to see them beyond the Veil to see the entirety of their beings.

Meanwhile, tonight sucks. :sadsmile:

Catersun
Aug. 5, 2010, 08:40 PM
*sniffle* may you have an easy night at work tonight and may you rest easy knowing you made the right decision. God Bless all the Good Dogs.

Laurierace
Aug. 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
It is the price we pay. I always say that euthanasia is taking their pain away and making it your own, literally as you are well aware of right now. When I lost my heart dog I found great comfort in www.petloss.com although I wasn't aware of COTH back then. This forum may have done the trick as well. Just having someone to share with that understood was nice. It took me about 6 weeks until I was finally able to join in with their candle lighting ceremony.

fordtraktor
Aug. 5, 2010, 08:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. (hugs)

seabreeze
Aug. 5, 2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, gosh...there is something uniquely difficult about saying goodbye to a good dog. Bless you for loving him for all those years :) Hugs to you :sadsmile:

EqTrainer
Aug. 5, 2010, 09:09 PM
I am so, so very sorry. Words cannot convey :cry:

pintopiaffe
Aug. 6, 2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks Guys.

It does help, to have people who *know*.

EqT... While I was blessed to have two--littermates & brothers... they are (were... ) the 'ones.' They built this farm with me. I remember yours.

It really does help just to have people who understand. As I always say, they touch a part of us beyond words, so words don't help. Non dog folks don't get it.

Staff at work is awesome. Charge nurse offered the keys to the Narc cabinet. <kidding>

Tomorrow I will lay him to rest under the Giant Ash. I've got wildflower seeds to spread.

JoZ
Aug. 6, 2010, 02:36 AM
I will miss stories about Malarkey. Please feel free to share some more of them anyway, when and if it makes you feel better to do so... :sadsmile:

My heart kitty is gone a year now. He had a McDonald's cheeseburger for his last meal. I will never stop missing him, but it takes a thread like this to really get the tears flowing now. For a month or so, all it took was waking up in the morning.

May your good doggie memories console you.

BasqueMom
Aug. 6, 2010, 02:37 AM
Godspeed Malarky....and big hugs to you! We have an aging lab mix and are
wondering how much longer she has...so far so good but her hips are toast.
Thank goodness for Adequan! And her buddy, our Aussie, who is now about
four and keeps her moving.

May the pain lesson and the joy of sharing his life increase.

Polydor
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:20 AM
Godspeed Malarky. Massive hugs to you and the rest of the critters.

P.

Tazzie
Aug. 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
hugs

pinkdiamondracing
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:09 PM
R.I.P. Malarkey

(((Hugs))) to you Pintopiaffe---
I lost one of my fave kitties 2 years ago to cancer, buried her under the tree in our front yard she used to look out the window at, now she looks in the window from under the tree--- until this summer a wind storm came and (you guessed it) blew her tree down---the only tree on the property with any sentimental value to it, both Nalla and the ashes of my husbands grandparents were under this tree, now it too is gone.

kookicat
Aug. 6, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm so sorry. {{hugs}}

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 7, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your pain, and it does slowly ease over time as you already know, but that doesn't make it any easier at the time when your heart truely is aching.

Hugs to you.

AppJumpr08
Aug. 8, 2010, 03:58 PM
Aw, J, I'm so sorry :(

I am glad for you that it was so peaceful and so very much the right thing to do. But that doesn't make it hurt less.

((hugs))

Blinkers On
Aug. 8, 2010, 04:46 PM
I am so sorry.
I lost my heart dog to a HUGE tumor on his spleen (hemangiosarcoma) last October. He declined very quickly and he too had developed a bleed. My heart is still sad. I still miss him. I know I wouldn't have done anything different.
And it does really suck!!!
Hugs.

Rockfish
Aug. 8, 2010, 06:15 PM
hugs

lesson junkie
Aug. 8, 2010, 07:03 PM
In the memory of my Good Big Farm Dog Hank, and the Auxillary Dog Wiley, let me offer condolances.

Losing a great dog is so hard.

harveyhorses
Aug. 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
I am so very sorry. The right thing just stinks sometimes.
Hugs.

maybedog
Aug. 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh Pintopiaffe I am so sorry to hear this. I lost 2 cats within 6 months of each other and 2 yrs later lost my heart dog Maybe. When we looked back we realized all three became ill about a month after their "yearly" vaccines. They all also had hemangiosarcomas on their spleens. Now everyone gets titers drawn and are still showing antibodies 4 years later! If I had only known back then. I always look forward to reading your witty posts but when you post something sad it really hits home. Godspeed Malarkey.

monstrpony
Aug. 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
Late to see this, but I am so sorry for your loss. Everything that's been said about losing good farm dogs is, painfully, true. But also ... well done, on your part. There is some small consolation in that.

ToiRider
Aug. 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
Dr. Kelley tapped his belly and said he had a tumor on his spleen and was bleeding internally. I said, "Let's put him down then."

IMMEDIATELY Dr. Kelley said, "That is the right thing to do."

You did exactly the right thing. My GSD had the same exact thing happen to her at 7 years old. She was the best dog I ever had. My vet wasn't straight with me at first, although looking back I think he knew what was going on. I remember the look on his face .... We had the surgery, and he almost lost her on the table. We then did lose her 2 months later. If I had known what was wrong with her and what she would go through, I would have put her down rather than have the surgery. We could have spared her so much, but I just didn't know.

You did the absolute right thing for your beloved dog. I am so sorry for your loss.

Equino
Aug. 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
Very sorry pintopiaffe. It is extremely tough to lose a beloved animal, especially when you have to make that hard decision.

We lost a 12 year old Boxer to Hermangiosarcoma last year. She was living with Degenerative Myelopathy when she fell. At 1st, we thought it was just the DM causing her to lose her footing, but she was shaken up when we helped her to stand and her gums were pale. The initial thought maybe she was dehydrated and fainted, so off to the vet. An x-ray showed a very enlarged tumor on her spleen, no internal bleeding, yet, but CBC showed anemia. Because of the DM coupled with this diagnoses, she was put down before she could suffer.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in happy memories and knowing you gave him peace especially before he could suffer.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 9, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you all so much. It just helps to share with people who *get it.*

I have to share this with you guys... we have a very, very sweet, and BRUTALLY shy maintenance guy at the hospital. He's in his late 60's, and has had quite a life. Grew up on a farm using horses to hay, (his father rescued a black percheron mare from abuse, and would take in abused animals--even back then when it was far more a luxury than today.) Worked in the copper mine, military service...

But he stutters, and has a bit more of a speech impediment that makes him just a tiny bit hard to understand... so he's sooooooo shy.

BUT, he relieves me for my break about midshift. He used to make coffee at around 0200 and was my hero. Now we have a fancy coffee machine, but he still comes to sit and cover my desk so I can grab a cuppa. Then we'll shoot the breeze for awhile. He's *very* kind. And he'll sit and take HIS break with me, and we'll chat about anything and everything, though often it comes back around to animals. He's got a young golden/labbie mix, and several cats. He and his wife have no kids.

On Thursday I went in to work 2 hours late so I could get just a little sleep. I'd been in about an hour when Fred came over. "Hard day, huh." He says. And then he tells me my coworker told him why I was late, and he had to come see if I was ok. He told me he lost one of his cats on Sunday. She was only 6, and in the way of cats, got sick very suddenly then was gone. He's got a 14 year old crotchedy cat who he knows is 'getting there...' but didn't expect to lose the young one.

And this sweet, shy man, cried with me. :sadsmile:

And laughed with me.

And then, when he had to get back to work, shocked me. I am NOT a 'touchy' person. Plus I'm in uniform. But Fred asked me if I wanted a hug. :sadsmile: THAT pretty much shattered me.

That animals can connect people who are so disparate. But we are kindred spirits, through the creatures that share our lives. Those are the people who KNOW. And Get It.

And Fred will rescue another cat. Knowing that even at his age, he will probably outlive it.

If you are able (I know, it's Monday--work night for most of you--but MY first night off...) would you lift a glass with me tonight?

I'm having a proper Irish sendoff for Malarkey. Planning to get a wee bit drunk, and toast to ALL the Good Dogs who make our lives so much richer. And the people they lead us too.

The future isn't all that clear right now. I have ideas of looking into getting Eamon certified to go into nursing homes. He is the most gentle soul on the planet and loves to just sit his head in your lap and have his forehead rubbed.

The IttyBitties have been hanging MUCH closer than usual, and seem to be taking care of him. :sadsmile: Even Ceo spent the day INSIDE today... a beautiful day--so it wasn't for the weather--he just lounged next to Eamon (and me) all day.

When the time comes, I'd like to rescue the next one.

But I *do* know, that it's worth it. I miss him. My heart hurts. My head hurts a little. But it IS worth it.

:cry: :sadsmile:

fooler
Aug. 10, 2010, 01:24 AM
Oh Pintopiaffe, So sorry to hear about your dog. This has been a tough year for animals everywhere.

Will remember your Malarkey in my prayers, he has good company - my BF's Jack Russell and my old calico kitty.

It is wonderful how animal folks tend to migrate toward each other and know how to share the joys and the pain.

Sleep well and please share more info about the IttyBitties. They hung close to you and Eamon as they have the 'knowing' of when someone requires comforting. ;)

pintopiaffe
Aug. 14, 2010, 03:50 AM
I finally figured out how to rescue my photo from Angelfire storage.

Had to post this, because a week later, it makes me smile. :sadsmile:

These are The Boys. Malarkey is on the left, with the white nose. Eamon is on the right.

They were about 18 mos old here, I believe.

Malarkey & Eamon (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/pintopiaffe/Malarkeyandeamon.jpg?t=1281772172)

Zu Zu
Aug. 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Love the photo ~ RIP Malarkey ~ knowing you are loved & missed by your family ~

fivehorses
Aug. 14, 2010, 09:10 AM
Ok, now I am crying my eyes out. As some know, I am dealing with the same thing with my akita, and every day, I ask, is this the day. I watch her, and pray she isn't in pain. Akitas are very stoic.

She sleeps a lot, and right now is in her fav spot in the garage. She still runs after the intruder in the woods when my choc runs after some deer or bear or whatever. But, I know her time is short.

So, reading these posts and heartbreaking stories, well, it hits too close. PintoPiaffe, how lucky you are to have a friend like that man at work. A kindred spirit...I am sure you have brought him as much friendship as he has shown to you.

I sometimes wonder why we have animals, they bring us joy for sure, but the heartbreak seems unbearable sometimes.
Godspeed Malarky~

pintopiaffe
Aug. 14, 2010, 09:52 AM
Ohh... Fiveh... :cry:

I am told, and I believe, that the tumors are not painful. Malarkey did not even show pain in any way his last day. His breathing was a little labored because of the fluid filling his abdominal cavity, not because of pain.

I can say, (a week later) it is not the worst way to go.

(((hugs)))

I was just sent this quote last night. I don't know who to attribute it to...

God doesn't give you the people you want; He gives you the people you NEED... to help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

Now insert "creatures" either instead of--or in addition to "people."

eh?

<sniffle> :sadsmiles: <sniffle>

pintopiaffe
Aug. 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
Pinkdiamond... I missed your post the first time, last on the page...

I can safely say, that while the tree is gone, those who were buried beneath it are now ALWAYS a part of your farm.

They are, quite literally, part of the soil, the flowers, the grass... and as such, will continue in all creatures that live there, as long as there are creatures there.

It is the cycle of life.

I know it's hard. I lost the tree that I planted when my little Ember foal was lost. (he was my first unattended in more than 60+ foals, and I won't ever know if he would have lived if I was there... was early, just hours before I returned... ) Somehow it was a double blow.

But there is now a wildflower garden there. And when I spot a wildflower somewhere *else* on the farm, that has come from THAT garden, I smile. Because it is part of it.

:sadsmile:

tikihorse2
Aug. 14, 2010, 10:39 AM
So, so sorry about Malarkey. He's with my cats Leia, Skittles, and Sol, and my dear Tiki horse.

*HUGS*

Kim

Larksmom
Aug. 14, 2010, 04:55 PM
I haven't been around for awhile. If I am not too late, I will lift a glass for your sweet dog.

Rhyadawn
Aug. 14, 2010, 05:59 PM
I can't believe I missed this. I'm so sorry PintoP. ((HUGS))

I believe they go to a better place, and he did not suffer. They tell us when it's time for them to go.

scrtwh
Aug. 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Godspeed Good Dog