PDA

View Full Version : What size trailer for big growing boy?

fargonefarm
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm hoping that my fellow COTH'ers can help me out here. I currently have a 3 horse slant that is 7ft. tall on the inside. I'm planning (hoping) that in the next year or so I can upgrade to something with another space or two as I have a lesson/training/boarding barn that keeps growing and demands the need for more trailering space. But my other issue is that I have a 3 year old Trak. gelding who is currently around 17 hands and will probably top out at 17.1 or 17.2hh. Until I loaded him for the first time the other day I guess I had really never noticed that my trailer really isn't super tall compared to my boy :eek: I have hauled slightly taller horses in this trailer before but I guess I never really stopped to analyze the confines of the space until now. So what do those of you with "big guys" think - is the 7 foot OK or do I need to start considering a taller trailer for this guy? I would like to think that 7 foot is OK - it always has been before, but am I fooling myself?

On a side note, my big *hate* about my current trailer is that it has a 3-4 inch lip on the top of the entry to the trailer that I have had a couple of horses whack their noses on (it's a step-up) and I'm getting tired of worrying about that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Luckydonkey
Aug. 5, 2010, 03:13 PM
well I am in a similar situation- although going into my latest purchase of a weanling clydesdale, I knew that it would mean a trailer upgrade in a year or 2. Mine is 7'2 tall, 6 ft wide, and is a 4 horse slant. I am going to go for a 7'6 height and a minimum of 7ft wide when I upgrade... until then, as she grows, ican remove a divider or 2 and give her more room...lol...