View Full Version : Trailers w/ 1/2 tack compartment?

Aug. 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm shopping for a 2-horse -- Saw an interesting model with a tack compartment in front of the horse on the passenger side -- So, if you were hauling one horse on the driver side, there's a full sized access door at the horse's head, and the horse could reach its head down towards the floor when untied -- The horse on the right has a half wall instead of a chest bar, and manger above the tack closet --

Do you know which manufacturers offer trailers configured like this?

I found something similar online, but the tack closet is on the driver side -- I'd only be interested in one where the tack closet is on the passenger side --

Aug. 5, 2010, 03:06 PM
This http://www.doubledtrailers.com/prod15.htm

They will move the tack compartment to whatever side you want. You can also customize the trailer--pretty much completely. For example, I would order one with the tack on the passenger side, xtra wide/xtra tall and two back doors (instead of one).

I'm still saving though ;)

What did you find?

Aug. 5, 2010, 03:36 PM
I customized my Gore trailer simlarly. One horse is claustrophobic and doesn't like mangers. While I'm not crazy about mangers, I have a double saddle rack and 2 double bridle hooks mounted under the manger, accessible from the dressing room. So, I have a manger on the driver side and the passenger side is open, with a full escape door and a walk-through door ro the dressing room. This configuration frees up space in my dressing room.

The good folks at Gore trailers customized my trailer to my specs in several ways and I am so pleased with my trailer.

Aug. 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
This may sound bad, but I want the manger/tack compartment on the passenger side because I will generally be hauling only one horse--mine (which I put on the driver side). If someone wants me to haul their horse too, then their horse can be on the manger side.

I could just take all the mangers out and do the full partition from the chest down to put some gear up front (if you scroll down on their page you will see that option for mares and foals) but it would be nice to have the saddles fully protected in the tack compartment I think.

Of course by the time I fully customize all the stuff I want it is like an 11k trailer. *sigh*

Aug. 5, 2010, 04:55 PM
What did you find?
This is the model I looked at http://www.trailers4horses.com/ft_halftackhalfwt.php (unfortunately I haven't found drawings or interior pictures of it online)

I want the manger/tack compartment on the passenger side because I will generally be hauling only one horse--mine (which I put on the driver side).This is my logic as well -- Even though I have 2 horses, I've never hauled them together -- They live at different barns -- One mostly hauls to shows and clinics while the other only hauls to trail rides at this point in her life --

Aug. 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
In planning my trailer, I opted for the manger on the driver side so I could have a full escape door on the passenger side. In the event that I should have to pull off the road, I want to be able to access my horses via a door that faces the shoulder of the road, rather than on the traffic side.

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem hauling my horse with a manger...

Aug. 7, 2010, 09:29 AM
There are pictures of a Trailers USA half tack compartment trailer on this website www.nelsonstrailers.com . Click on inventory and 2 horse bumperpulls.

Aug. 9, 2010, 05:45 PM
Anyone really look at these to see which is made better? I have yet to see one in the flesh.

The only other one I've seen that might make sense is the Avalanche. It is a stand-up tack room, but smaller/slant. It is a slant load that can be made taller/wider and converted to a box stall. I'm a bit intrigued with them as well.

I thought there would be more posts about this type of trailer!

Heart's Journey
Aug. 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
I always need more storage space so a half tack would be worthless to me and probably to many others. My first trailer didn't have a tack room at all, sold it after one year and got a 2H BP DR w/ a rear tack.

Nine years later I upgraded to a 2H GN LQ w/ a rear tack and wish I had more storage space....