PDA

View Full Version : Help! Skunk on my couches :(

Riley0522
Aug. 5, 2010, 02:46 PM
So, the other night my dog got skunk'd, right in the face. She ran in foaming, right past us...beelined for the couches. When we caught up to her and saw her rubbing the skunk juice all over loveseat, we yelled at her and she proceeded to jump on main sofa :no:

Needless to say, they are disgusting. We've de-skunked puppy, with hydrogen peroxide, dish soap and baking soda. We tried putting vinegar on the couches, but the smell is just awful. Someone recommended doing Nature's Miracle and then my mom was going to steam clean them, is there any hope I will save my couches??

Only saving grace is that my very gamey dog somehow decided to spare herself and skunk's life and miraculously didn't go after it.

Also, any good recommendations for pillows/blankets? She basically hit all our throw pillows/blankets, and we've already tossed 1 blanket that we washed to no avail and a pillow that was too awful to even think about putting in the washing machine...but we've got some pretty nice ones I'd hate to throw away.

Thanks!

minnie
Aug. 6, 2010, 11:07 AM
no solutions, just "SYMPTHY"!

walktrot
Aug. 6, 2010, 11:40 AM
I know someone who had pretty good success using Massengill (lots!) on the dog. Don't know if it would work on the couch.

anchodavis
Aug. 6, 2010, 12:07 PM
Oh boy. We had an incident about 5 or more years ago with our old dog when we still had carpet in the living room. Wound up having to steam clean it several times and there was still a lingering odor for a good month. It was awful. I'd recommend multiple steam cleanings, and perhaps contact a professional unholsterer for advice. There may be something you could add t the steam cleaner to help it cut that oil. If the furniture has any covers you can remove to wash, remove them right away! wash and keep washing. You might consider having them professional cleaned. As for the cushions, many kinds are machine washable.
On the other hand, if you've been looking for an excuse to replace some furntiure, I'd say this is a good one. :D

TheRedFox
Aug. 6, 2010, 12:43 PM
So long sofas, hello Rooms To Go!

I hate that for you. My eyes are watering just thinking about it.

chicamuxen1
Aug. 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
The one thing that really does remove Skunk smell is bleach. and yes you can use it diluted on dogs and people, like a cup in a bucket of water, soak, rinse. On a sofa, hmmmmm. Depending on the color you could test a bit of diluted spay on the the back of other hidden area. If it's just the seat cushions and they are light colored then I say into the washer with the diluted bleach. It really does work, but it could ruin dark colors.

chicamuxen

caper
Aug. 6, 2010, 04:33 PM
Sadly I can't think of anything that will work. My little JRT got sprayed one night during his last time out to pee for the evening. He was sprayed in the face and I could hear him howling and running in circles with his eyes closed. I scouped him up and ran in the garage. I stuck him in the laundry tub and bathed his eyes till he was able to open them. Poor guy. After I cleaned him up I realized my shirt didn't smell so good as I held him close to me when I ran inside.
I tried washing it multiple times with no success. I realized his nice leather smelled also. I tried everything and the smell still lingers. SO he got a new leather collar too....

caper
Aug. 6, 2010, 04:33 PM
BTW now he is on a lead when we go out in the evening/dark. I don't want to ever go through that again EVER! :)