PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Lone red maple found...

Mr.GMan
Aug. 4, 2010, 07:48 PM
I recently had some small scrub trees/young trees (pines, cedar, poplars, sweetgum) cut down to make a run through the woods (shade reasons) for my horses. While we burned the trees, my DH mentioned the kinds that burned. No red maples....however as we walked where I want to put the fence line, he found a young red maple. That was the only one we found. Most of the trees are the one mentioned above. Being that it is just the one, I want to cut it down and go ahead and fence the run. Should I wait to fence until I cut the tree and clean the leaves? What would you do? Thanks all...

fooler
Aug. 4, 2010, 11:38 PM
Seems to me it is easier to remove the tree & leaves before putting up the fence. That leaves you a clean area to fence.

anchodavis
Aug. 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
if it's not too huge or anything you could fence first and get it later. you'd want to get the tree out of there, but i don't think the leaves are such a huge threat that it's critical to do first if you need to get the pasture up. they'll usually avoid the leaves anyhow. Altho if it's a tiny run you're better off being on the safe side.

KarenC
Aug. 6, 2010, 09:15 AM
I would get it down now. You want to get it down before the leaves start turning and falling off. For what it's worthy, my husband is an equine vet and would not turn our horses out in the new pasture until every one of those red maples was gone - not going to take any chances. Better safe than sorry, especially since you use the term "run" - sounds like it isn't going to be a very large pasture (ours was 6 acres).

Mr.GMan
Aug. 6, 2010, 10:17 PM
DH went and cut it down today. Luckily not to big. The run is connected to the field which is 3 acres. The run is mainly for shade purposes if he feels he needs to be shaded. After we found that one tree, I made him look back into the woods that aren't fenced to double check as I told him I didn't want any stray leaves finding their way into my horses domain. Now I want to kill the stump so it won't grow any more. What products are out there to kill a tree/stop it from sprouting?