PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your horses in when they spray for mosquitoes?

IFG
Aug. 4, 2010, 10:20 AM
Tonight Massachusetts is spraying with Anvil to kill mosquitoes who are infected with EEE.

They recommended keeping animals inside, but my horse does not do well locked in, do you all keep your horses in when they spray?

M. Owen
Aug. 4, 2010, 12:34 PM
I am also in SE Mass and heard the same thing on the news. I thought they said they spray over a specific period of time when mosquitoes are most active- described rather vaguely as dusk on the story. Maybe you could contact your town hall and find out when they are spraying? It may be he only needs to be inside for a couple of hours.

I tend to be very conservative on these things and would want to keep my horse in during the spraying since they specifically mentioned bring pets inside.

Edited to add this link on Lakeville's home page with a QA and about the possible effects of the spraying (scroll down) http://www.lakevillema.org/

It seems fairly low risk except for people/ animals with respiratory issues.

IFG
Aug. 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
Yeh, I am getting conflicting information from the state versus my local police dept on whether they are spraying in my town or not.

everafterfarm
Aug. 4, 2010, 08:06 PM
Here in FL they do it about every month and they never put it on the news, I don't know they are doing it until I hear and see the truck coming down the road. now granted my horses have never been standing at the road when it comes down, the noise sends them to the other side of the field, but they are usually out when it comes. They can get about 300ft from the road. If your horse is bad inside perhaps you have a spot away from the road you can put him in?

deltawave
Aug. 4, 2010, 08:44 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of any large-scale spraying going on out here, ever.

Must be an East Coast thing--I remember when we were kids we used to go run out in the cloud of smoke and jump around when the "mosquito man" came. :dead: Between that, the general NJ toxin levels back then and all the radiation I get exposed to, it's a wonder my kid doesn't have two heads. :D

I would probably put them in, if I had enough notice they were coming.

IFG
Aug. 4, 2010, 09:35 PM
Turns out they canceled for tonight. Good thing it is hot and humid, and they tell you not to run the AC or fans.

A horse died of EEE a couple of towns over, and a bunch of mosquitoes have tested positive for EEE, so there is major panic in the neighborhood. After a bit of research, I found the number to call to determine which towns are being sprayed, so at least I will know what is going on.

cyndi
Aug. 5, 2010, 04:52 PM
I am 30 miles from the Gulf, and we got a lot of rain. It is not uncommon to have nightly spraying for a period of a week or more at a time, on numerous occasions over the summer. This year it was so bad we had aerial spraying for mosquitoes in addition to the trucks. As someone mentioned - there is no published schedule - I only know when I see the plane/truck. If I am RIDING, I will try to go in before the truck reaches our property line - and if the driver SEES me riding, he will shut off the spray until he passes by.

cowgirljenn
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:41 PM
I used to live near Cyndi and had the same deal - they sprayed whenever they sprayed, and I never knew they were doing it until the truck passed by. I'm not originally from the coast, and I had NO CLUE what it was the first time it came by... :)

scheherazadetbmare
Aug. 5, 2010, 05:46 PM
No. I've been riding when the little yellow plane came right over us and "sprayed" us. The chemical used here is not a spray, it's a solid with some sand thrown in to hold it together when it hits the woods and water and marshes.

Years ago, the oil based spraying trucks used to come spray up everyone's driveway, and the only harm was that it killed all my goldfish in their little pond.

If EEE has been diagnosed in your area, be sure to call your vet. My vet recommends a "booster" shot for EEE or WNV if either are diagnosed around here, plus my horses get their spring and their fall shots for everything. (vaccinated 2x a year, once before it is hot, and then in late summer early fall, in fact it is almost time to call vet for shots.)